TNM in the media

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
LeoBad
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: TNM in the media

Post by LeoBad »

Jonas wrote:Did anybody mention this yet?
http://www.modaddict.fr/2009/04/06/arti ... interview/

French website, but the actual interview is in English so don't let the intro scare you off.

As it was conducted via IRC, it flows kinda awkwardly at times, but it's a lot more dynamic than a mail interview, for example.

Also there's a great bonus interview with Leo at the end :)
alekB_ - ...Some of our fans are like Cthulhu, slumbering in ancient places, waiting for the right summons to awaken… Of course in a totally cool, good, awesome way that is nothing like the pure evil of something from a Lovecraft tale. We love you guys!
this is the most brilliant digression I've ever read :D
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Grub takes the name "Off Topic" fairly literally sometimes.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Grub
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Grub »

*blush*
Suislide
Mole Person

Post by Suislide »

Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Hehe, that's the most colourful review I've ever read :p
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
bananaSkill
Thug

Post by bananaSkill »

They really nailed the fucking style of the Deus Ex songs and deserve free prostitutes for that.
8)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Psscht Trestkon's been promising me hot women for 7 years and I still haven't got them yet.

Interesting review - a little surprising that you can swear that much in a positive review, but thanks ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Sounded a bit...forced, though.

And when even I think swearing sounds forced, there may be a problem.

Or should that be "And when even I think a shit ton of fucking swearing sounds cockmanglingly forced, there may be a motherfucking clusterfuck of a problem."?

You know, there's swearing and then there's swearing.

But hey, maybe that's how that reviewer actually talks? Who can say...
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

It seems fairly certain that the reviewer is not a native speaker. Apparently, native speakers hardly ever use the word 'fuck' as it is very offensive in English. Over here though, it's just a word.

However, I've heard that dutch is the only language in which diseases are used as profanity, so we may be used to a lot of verbal abuse to be bothered about trivialities like 'fuck'.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DDL is a native speaker and he swears like a Scottish comedian.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

EER wrote:Apparently, native speakers hardly ever use the word 'fuck' as it is very offensive in English.
You've been bamboozled by television. ;)
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

EER wrote:Apparently, native speakers hardly ever use the word 'fuck' as it is very offensive in English. Over here though, it's just a word.
It depends on where you are at least as much as whether or not you are a native speaker.

Around here, of the seven words (shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, and tits) probably I would point to cunt as the one people hardly ever use. Probably cocksucker is the next most uncommon. Then fuck, motherfucker and shit occupy about the same level, though fuck is usually understood to be more offensive than shit so might be used a bit less. Piss and tits are everyday speak.

I read somewhere that in England things are different, Fuck sits alone atop the list of profanity, and all others are tied for second. On the other hand I think I read somewhere else that that was bullshit. Perhaps one of the natives can tell us.
However, I've heard that dutch is the only language in which diseases are used as profanity, so we may be used to a lot of verbal abuse to be bothered about trivialities like 'fuck'.
Fuck isn't trivial. It isn't trivial because it is profanity. Being profanity is, in itself, enough to make a word non trivial. That is because profanity isn't like other words. Your brain must go through a different process to speak it and, more importantly, your brain processes it in a different way when you hear it. Which means that by speaking a word the listener's brain considers profane you can cause a biological reaction that no other type of word can create.
bananaSkill
Thug

Post by bananaSkill »

chris the cynic wrote:
EER wrote:However, I've heard that dutch is the only language in which diseases are used as profanity, so we may be used to a lot of verbal abuse to be bothered about trivialities like 'fuck'.
Fuck isn't trivial. It isn't trivial because it is profanity. Being profanity is, in itself, enough to make a word non trivial. That is because profanity isn't like other words. Your brain must go through a different process to speak it and, more importantly, your brain processes it in a different way when you hear it. Which means that by speaking a word the listener's brain considers profane you can cause a biological reaction that no other type of word can create.
I would agree with you but i must say thats not the case for must dutch people.
The word fuck (any many other english swears) are very common here in 'normal' conversation.
As stated by EER saying something like "get cancer" to someone that would be more of a profanity ;)
Duke Floss
UNATCO

Post by Duke Floss »

chris the cynic wrote: Fuck isn't trivial. It isn't trivial because it is profanity. Being profanity is, in itself, enough to make a word non trivial. That is because profanity isn't like other words. Your brain must go through a different process to speak it and, more importantly, your brain processes it in a different way when you hear it. Which means that by speaking a word the listener's brain considers profane you can cause a biological reaction that no other type of word can create.
However why is it different from the other words - (my opinion) is only because society has associated those words that way.
My personal outlook is that every word is just a word - and all words tend to wear a little thin when overused. I would like to meet whoever decided that certain words should be considered profanity.
chris the cynic wrote: It isn't trivial because it is profanity.
Depending on the situation profanity can be very trivial.
http://www.heavyjack.com - Quality Programming ~ Entertainment, News, Reviews, Games and Sports TV with an emphasis on the HEAVY JACK.
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

I can vouch that the word 'cunt' is by the far the most offensive word in the language over here, and basically you're entitled to punch the guy who says it to you. 'Fuck' has been overused to the point that it crops up in everyday conversation all the time, whereas I hadn't seen/heard the word 'cunt' in a while before I read that article.