TNM 1.0.5 test help

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
ggrotz
X-51

Re: TNM 1.0.5 test help

Post by ggrotz »

Bug: Double-check the Dazza conversation in the DXEditing map. I didn't meet him in the Party Zone, and got some wierd crap when I ran into him on the DXEditing map. Just a lot of stuff that didn't make sense. When it started, I went for the "no but I'm the best armed" option. Ended up taking 100 credits from me, too. I would have copied the thing from the conversation log, but didn't see a good way to do it and put it into a text file. Running 1.04+
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Thanks I'll check it out. Do you recall in what way it didn't make sense?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Jonas wrote:Thanks I'll check it out. Do you recall in what way it didn't make sense?
The wierd part was something like "Welcome to Forum City.", then immediately "Thanks for the creds, the code is ...". Didn't really get the option on whether to pay him for the code or not.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I'm still not sure if I've found the deep dark secret in the WC headquarters. :(
Assuming it isn't part of the secret, fourth wall breaking ending; I probably haven't.

Would I know if it was a secret if I'd found it? That does sound like a silly question. :lol:
Icy character... I'll have to remember that one.
More secrets would be welcome though if you had the time to impliment them Jonas. :mrgreen:

I'll probably end up doing a Youtube Let's Play once it's released. :smile:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

nerdenstein wrote:I'm still not sure if I've found the deep dark secret in the WC headquarters. :(
It's kind of anti-climatic, really. But another hint: Look at the doors which go to that particular room. Using one of them will open a compartment with stuff in it. You'll have to be very fast to get the stuff out of it, though.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

nerdenstein wrote:More secrets would be welcome though if you had the time to impliment them Jonas. :mrgreen:
I've mostly been making a few more buildings enterable, since I think that's more rewarding than adding secrets :smile:

I've also done some cosmetic stuff - added really nice animated weed and grass that Phasmatis made for me, for example, and of course Nick and I have been trying to get all the HDTP stuff working with TNM, but we ran into some trouble and put it on hold until HDTP is done, so we know we'll be working with the final version.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Sounds nice :D
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Jonas wrote:
nerdenstein wrote:More secrets would be welcome though if you had the time to impliment them Jonas. :mrgreen:
I've mostly been making a few more buildings enterable, since I think that's more rewarding than adding secrets :smile:

I've also done some cosmetic stuff - added really nice animated weed and grass that Phasmatis made for me, for example, and of course Nick and I have been trying to get all the HDTP stuff working with TNM, but we ran into some trouble and put it on hold until HDTP is done, so we know we'll be working with the final version.
That was going to be my next question: will there be more places to explore? Obviously the answer is yes.
I definately agree, adding more buildings is nice (providing of course, there are different ways to get there ;) )
Does that mean that things like, Hassat's apartment expansion mod (or a variation/upgrade of it) will be included for example?

It's incredible that you guys are working on upgrading it, even after all this time. So thank you. :mrgreen:
Are we going to see many Media releases surrounding HDTP and 1.0.5?
Getting some sort of hype going on Moddb or other popular gaming sites before release? I certainly think it deserves it but obviously, time and feasibility need to be considered.

@ggrotz; Thanks for the tip. I'll bare that in mind when I play it and keep an eye out. Now I really am curious...
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

nerdenstein wrote:Does that mean that things like, Hassat's apartment expansion mod (or a variation/upgrade of it) will be included for example?
Well sort of. Basically Hassat isn't fond of doing CSG work, so how that mod came about was that I created the rooms for the apartments and textured them, originally intending to fill them with stuff myself. But then I ran out of creative juice and ended up just shooting the map over to Hassat, who crammed furniture and stuff into the new rooms. For 1.0.5, I took that map back, removed some of Hassat's stuff to be replaced with CSG content, moved other things around, added a bunch more textures and text files so there'd be something more interesting to find there, and that's gonna be in 1.0.5.
It's incredible that you guys are working on upgrading it, even after all this time. So thank you. :mrgreen:
Well it was fun to make, and it's hard to let it go.
Are we going to see many Media releases surrounding HDTP and 1.0.5?
Getting some sort of hype going on Moddb or other popular gaming sites before release? I certainly think it deserves it but obviously, time and feasibility need to be considered.
Probably not. We'll make some posts in the appropriate places around the web to inform people when it's released, I doubt we'll do much more about it.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Didn't modify Dazza. So I guess it would be another case of "if it's broken now, that's because it was faulty in the SDK :("
If it is broken that is. Haven't heard it before, and it's pretty easy to piss him off in the PartyZone.

Yeah, more fun stuff. The apartment isn't nearly as crazy as I had it (bye bye poor greasels with pathing issues), though that's probably for the best.
Still, as mentioned, be on the lookout for the hidden PS-20.

20 bonus skill points for the first to find it (no, not really) ;).
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well obviously I could find it pretty quickly. In the editor ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

ggrotz wrote: Actually I've been testing that little loader which hard-links duplicate files within saved games some more. I tested it against TNM with New Vision and HDTP loaded, and the time difference in saving games becomes considerable. After I get a chance to test it against 2027 (and maybe Kentie's loader), I might work up a workable beta test and post it here if people are willing...maybe even forget the compression part since I'm not sure that saves too much time at any point in the process anyway.
So, is anyone interested in testing this to see if it might provide some improvements? I think I tested this all I can test it (2 runs of TNM and one of 2027, the new Kentie DX file crashed on me right out of the gate so I didn't get to that). It does seem to save games faster by hard linking instead of copying files where the files don't change, and obviously the benefit of having smaller disk space use is there, too.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Yeah, I'll give it a go. I won't be able to for a couple of days, and I gotta find my DX disc as the game seems to have vanished from the HDD since this machine went to the shop.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

bobby 55 wrote:Yeah, I'll give it a go. I won't be able to for a couple of days, and I gotta find my DX disc as the game seems to have vanished from the HDD since this machine went to the shop.
Okay. I just didn't want to leave a test program posted on a forum for too long since it is just a test and really don't intend on wide-releasing it in this form. The main thing is that I really can't test this on anything else other than Windows XP, so I'm not sure how this will run on anything else. Then I'm not sure entirely on how certain firewall or AV softwares might react to the method used. Then there's perception on whether doing this saves time in saving or not (that it saves disk space isn't in question). Be sure to look at the documentation and the test batch file first on how to run it.

The main thing for testing is to be sure to save a few games at certain points (TNM Forum City with NV/HDTP is very good or Redsun 2020 or 2027, anything where the save file size gets bigger) to see if there's any good speed difference (there should be some if there is enough copied data). Then try to load them a time or two to see if nothing got screwed up with them (there shouldn't be).

Since it uses hard-links (making the files look like it's a copy but referencing only one spot of data), it'll be hard to verify exactly what is going on if you want to. So for my testing, I used the program I posted over here run before a session and then afterwards to see if the program posted here worked.

I'll come back and delete the file after 2 or 3 days. Thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to try this out to see if the idea is sound enough to finish implementing. Feel free to ask if there are any questions or problems that come up.

Edit: I deleted the file. Someone please let me know if this makes any difference and how well the idea works out.
medzernik
NSF

Post by medzernik »

YES! Thanks Jonas for this :smile:

Well of course I'm voluntairing! I love TNM very much. I think you did a awesome job on that. It's detailed, lots of convo, buying, secrets, etc... =D>
I'm looking so foward to this! :mrgreen: