TNM Augs in DX

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
RedDynasty
Thug

TNM Augs in DX

Post by RedDynasty »

So i folowed Zero's advice and post a "mod"( its not really a mod, more like a convertion)
As u can see by the title im exporting The Nameless Mod Npc aug system into DX.
Ive been having some help by a few people( including Poor and atrey, who i give a big, big thank u)
But i still have some trouble with visual effects and some other stuff, so i need some help.
To save time, heres a link to the thread in DXAlpha: http://www.dxalpha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18296
In there, u will find:
-Proof that tnm makers approve of this
-Logs of testing
-Code about it
-Issues that i have

This is for a mod called CageMatch made by poor.
What is it? Its simple, its basicly a mod where u fight bots(yes they shoot u back) in a arena. It has about 80+ Matches with diferent bots( including TNMBots).It also has 2 new augs( the clone aug and the thyphoon aug( yes its like the thyphoon in DX:HR)
It uses a new type of bots that uses RG(RedGreasel)'s MPBots, also made by poor
Features of the new bots:
-Barks\Taunts( if they kill u\get flamed\sprayed\saw u\heard u\ etc.. they will reproduce the same sound as in sp
-They never give up and never drop weapons
-They are the 1st bots that are able to use alt ammo( wp rockets, darts, etc..)
-If they have a weapon with a scope, they will aim for the head
And some other things that i cant remember.
If u want more info, ask me or Zero( he goes there sometimes :D )
The server Ip is:75.67.211.186:7790
Be warned, u need to download alot of stuff.
Your not a gamer until you played this.

Cant....stop...listening...to.... RedSun......Menu music.
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Re: TNM Augs in DX

Post by ZeroPresence »

I really do think this belongs here because the work you're trying to do involves stuff that I think only the TNM devs such as that guy can answer. TNM code is pretty scary and difficult to get through. You may need someone with a flashlight rather than a torch to guide you.

I'm rather proud of that use of symbolism.
RedDynasty
Thug

Post by RedDynasty »

Well lets hope i can get that flashlight, because so far neither FGS nor dxalpha helped with this issue

ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

Also, here's another "welcome" to the Forum.

We need good smart guys like yourself injected into Deus Ex Communities. For instance, I'm also a member of a group on FaceBook where it is mostly people locked in the year 2001 constantly bickering about who is the best clan and being immature. There are some mappers there so I'm happy about that but... I much prefer the company of the fine folks around here, now including yourself. Stay active!

Also, because I'm promoting this a lot, go read a thread I posted in the "TNM Developer Archive" that I made recently regarding new mapping content. (If you would like to help me on something and not afraid of a small spoiler), once you do this PM me here with any insight you may have on the topic at hand.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Are people still modding DX? Not just for personal tweaks, but making mods to be released to the public at some point?
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

Normally I'm very apprehensious about modding multiplayer, but what he is doing I fully support. Let me explain why:

First off, this is really polished. Him and his group of friends that put this together got what they're doing down to a science. I've been secretly scrutinizing the thing every time I join and it just... man it works great. It is cooperative which I love and the NPCs all do their job very well which is a nightmare for multiplayer. It also pulls players away from "funline" and 0-aug servers which was the cancer that murdered Deus Ex Multiplayer. So right now the current most popular servers are a classic team DM server with augs and this server. I'm upset that the player base for Deus Ex is so low but that can't be avoided, but at least I can be happy that most of the players are playing Deus Ex MP in a way that's more true to it's roots.

I know of a few mods still in development, but I think it is mostly private projects. For instance I'm working on at least three different little fun things on my own. :)
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Wow are people still playing DX multiplayer? Hardcore.
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

Yeah, it's actually rather discouraging when you try to tango with these guys, too. Back in the day there was this website that tracked stats in DXMP... somehow. For a while there I was actually in the number one spot for Deathmatch. But, that did me absolutely no good when I joined the other day... I was getting creamed as if I wasn't even attempting to fight back.

They truly are hardcore...
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

I tried it a few years back. I got my ass handed and (partly because of that) I didn't really like it. But I thought servers were completely empty nowadays.
RedDynasty
Thug

Post by RedDynasty »

Zero that was an amazing speach, and im glad that im not the only one that thinks that 0 augs, deathmatch and funlines made dxmp to a worse state( srsly people those days of deathmatch are pretty much gone, if u want deathmatch, atleast dont do it on servers whose objective is to have fun and not promote deathmatch.)

ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

You know what I always thought was hilarious about funline?

I think Phasmatis one of our developers was actually the father of all that. He was the creator of the original "partyzone" mod released back on PDX. Then people stole it, stole it, mutated it, stole it, mutated it some more and out vomitted Funline-Unlimited.

Phas, what have you DONE!?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

What is Funline?

Also I think Deus Diablo was on the PartyZone team as well.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
RedDynasty
Thug

Post by RedDynasty »

Well guys if u have any idea on how to fix the issues on page 2( on the link, where is has a ton of code) please tell me, i want this to be released as soon as possible and to be tested in the cagematch server.
Dont worry about which augs will be added, i will simple take the default properties of the augs in the tnm chars and place them there( dam u zero, why must u have targeting!!)
And yes the normal dx npcs will also have augmented version of them.

ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

Jonas wrote:What is Funline?

Also I think Deus Diablo was on the PartyZone team as well.
Jonas,

I waited until a break so I can really crack down and explain this to you. I mean I care a lot about Deus Ex and this mod actually bugs the crap out of me me a little. You see, here's a basic layout of a "funline" map. First off, they are always designed poorly, there is no flow of the map, no consideration for item placement, and it is obviously designed by a person that wants to give themself a personal advantage (there are hundreds of these maps, seemingly 10 specific ones for each server). I'll explain how soon but more on the layout. They brush work is horrible, I've been able to eyeball many off grid brushes, and the size of the play areas certainly do no justify the file size. You normalyl start, unarmed, in a teleporting area that usually puts you in some obscure poorly chosen area. Once you're there the "party" begins as you are massacred by admins that use multiplayer coded keypads to access their "offices" which contain overly powerful weapons. Then, there is the famous...

Weapon Shop. These maps are advertised as being fun peaceful maps but... why the fuck is there a weapon shop than? These weapon shops are guarded by two doors always and some gay instant kill trap or a teleporter that sends people to a "jail." Also, there is a ridiculous amount of turrets, 2 sometimes more, right next to the door with the security comptuer located inside the dumb shop. The idea is that you can find credits in the play area and buy shit from some prick that got there first or is an admin. This of course is always exploited and turns out into a giant piss fest. People always trying to attack the shop to take it over so they have the "advantage" and such.

I can't believe people still buy into this shit and enjoy it. It looks awful, the balance is awful, the people are immature morons, I could go on and on... but basically this seriously did twist the knife put into DX's heart.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Ouch.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador