Good Job!

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Hir
Mole Person

Good Job!

Post by Hir »

Big fan of Deus Ex, so I was fairly disappointed by Human Revolution. It looked fantastic but totally lost the atmosphere of Deus Ex imho. I'm not being disingenuous when I say I prefer Invisible War over the reboot, expectations were so high that it gets over judged. It's a pretty good game( IW).

Then to my surprise I bump into TNM. You guys must really love DX to have spent seven years working for no pay!

At first I found the context, virtual forum, a little disconcerting but once past that, great game. You have managed to equal, some tracks are better, the original sound track. Love the theme you get when you first enter Sol's Bar. With the graphics in the original game not giving them tremendous visual ability to create atmosphere, the sound track was essential to help them with this, and what a sound track from an 8 bit MIDI. Your sound track is fantastic, it sounds so in keeping with the original game, did you get input from Alexander Brandon?

I'm a hedgehog. I didn't buy into MSDos and only got to the 'new' generation of computers in 2001 when a road accident left me paralysed and with too much time on my hands. I stuck with Spectrum and set myself the task over the years of understanding that machine top to bottom. My question is, I see you saying in many places you didn't have access to the source code. Can you explain what you mean. How could you possibly achieve what you did without reference to the source code?!

Well done. Top effort and cheers.

e2a: Not actually finished yet, just got to the Airfield. Only one gripe, you need to be a MSDos geek to know what to do at the delthreads.exe task! Had to cheat there.
Hir
Mole Person

Re: Good Job!

Post by Hir »

Melk is Greek for milk. Is this a metaphor or am I reading too much into this. The milk of human kindness, and some people want to keep it all to themselves unless they are making people pay over the odds for it.
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Re: Good Job!

Post by that guy »

In answer to your question about having the source code. We had all the scripts. We didn't have the code. The code defines a lot of the low level functions and core functionality (graphics, pathfinding, user input, etc). The scripts defined most of the game logic (weapon stats, mission scripts, ai logic, etc). As an analogy: You can create a pretty nice website without having any of the sourcecode for firefox.

The soundtrack is actually ogg files mostly. Someone wrote a plugin for the engine which allowed us to use them instead of tracked music. The result was much nicer (though some of the original tracked music was actually pretty nice).

The melk thing I believe is simply because you get milk from goats so it was an obvious ambrosia (the greek one not the deus ex one) for a religion that worships a goat. Note, however that the goats were not an invention of the mod they were a real (tongue in cheek presumably) community that really existed on the planetdeusex forums some time before I joined. You'll probably find that a lot of the truly bizarre elements of the game are there because they're a sort of historical account rather than because they make sense.