I hate this.

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Zeitgeist
UNATCO

I hate this.

Post by Zeitgeist »

Because it has just proved to me that I am not the biggest Deus Ex fan. I just sat here absorbing everything walton simons and Chris had to say in the book store.
Kyran
Thug

Re: I hate this.

Post by Kyran »

"No shit."

That book store is complete awesomeness.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Those guys both wrote their own conversations. They are almost undoubtedly the greatest Deus Ex fans on the planet.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

It is nice to be appreciated.

If you sit through the entire Priory conversation on the second day you have the patience of a saint. It is huge, and yet still somehow manages to be a gross oversimplification of almost every topic it addresses. (2000 of religious history, 50 years of modern conspiracy theorist public history, and another 2000 years of supposedly hidden history.) Giving the player ways to get out or skip ahead also made it confusing as hell. Multiple exits was my idea, warning the player before he started is, I think, a credit to Jonas. Problem was, multiple exits and ways out makes things confusing as hell. I had to make a chart.

I numbered lines, lettered choices, and somehow made it through the monstrosity that I myself had written.

[Added:] You know, that might not be the final chart.
Attachments
Priory Convo.jpg
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Psscht you think that's complicated? I've juggled game logic distributed across conversations twice as intricate as this as well as map triggers and mission scripts in my head, with no aid from any such fancy diagrams!

Real men do not draw pictures! Real men juggle triggers and conversation branches until it makes them break down and cry!

(Which, come to think of it, might explain why certain bugs managed to sneak into the release version of the game :P )

Eh, I'm obviously kidding, you did a great job on that :D
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

I disagree, real men draw two pictures. The second one was better since I had a feel for which branch went where and I didn't have almost everything on one side of the page. Pretty sure I managed to avoid crossing lines too.

The problem was that I had everything in linear format, and by the time I had a microphone that wasn't killing everything what I had been thinking when writing was gone, so I had no idea how the various things went together. I couldn't work it out as there were multiple possible ways to fit it together. So what I had to do was load up the game, and actually go through the priory conversation in every possible way just to figure out what went where.
Jonas wrote:Eh, I'm obviously kidding, you did a great job on that :D
Thank you.

-

Also, you did a great job.

For example, "And be sure to take any of your friends who may be unconcious for reasons totally unrelated to me," or something like that.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

chris the cynic wrote:I disagree, real men draw two pictures. The second one was better since I had a feel for which branch went where and I didn't have almost everything on one side of the page. Pretty sure I managed to avoid crossing lines too.
I will say that the document you sent me made it admirably clear what was supposed to go where in the conversation files. It was a piece of cake to implement it into ConEdit based on that.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Jonas wrote:I will say that the document you sent me made it admirably clear what was supposed to go where in the conversation files. It was a piece of cake to implement it into ConEdit based on that.
If only I still had that document when recording. I suppose I could have asked you if you still had it. But I was a beta tester with a pencil and paper, I could work it out myself. Also, it didn't occur to me.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I may still have that somewhere, but I don't know where it is :(
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
TheXGhost
Thug

Post by TheXGhost »

The first impression that I got from Chris's conversation was "what the heck is this guy on?" because he was talking about how he didn't say Walton Simons, but walton simons, and I didn't notice the caps ^^. This whole game so far is pretty funny, llamas and goats and n00bz, haha trescock. You guys are too good.
.siht daer ot emit eht koot yllautca uoy eveileb tnac I
Jcelios
MJ12

Post by Jcelios »

Damn that conversation tree diagram puts my dialogue to shame.

I think I remember writing more then what my character currently talks about in-game. I heard something about the "Days" changing and more dialogue appearing?

Anyway,
So far TNM has allowed me to live out my darkest fantasies:
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8126/shot0000ecy.jpg
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jcelios wrote:I think I remember writing more then what my character currently talks about in-game. I heard something about the "Days" changing and more dialogue appearing?
Yeah at some point you'll go away for a while and after that you can ask yourself new questions.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jcelios
MJ12

Post by Jcelios »

I guess I shouldn't have killed myself with a screwdriver and then dumped my own body in the river. :(
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Your darkest fantasies involve taking over Trestkon's identity, killing your old self with a screwdriver, and then dumping his body into a river so you can take a picture?

Also, anyone who has witnessed the movie Serenity knows that a screwdriver is the weapon of a true warrior. I await the screwdriver only playthrough.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

On the plus side, you should now get to see the fan fic store getting closed up.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine