High Brow TNM Reviews

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Overyou
Mole Person

Re: High Brow TNM Reviews

Post by Overyou »

Arami : I think those who make such comments without even really playing the game should go through Anigan at least once.

Arima : For once I agree with you, i mean how can you judge something only by its package and not by its contents ?

Arami : I guess a number of Earthlings feels that way, no ?

Arima : From what i could gather of their species, it's mostly those of the younger generations that places so much importance in the graphism.

Arami : Sad, I hope one day they will have as much wisdom and intelligence as we have.

Arima : Doubtful but who knows, maybe the Earthlings can surprise us once more.
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

I wrote a fairly, overly long comment on the RPS article for TNM addressing the three major complaints I've seen people having... Seems kind of inappropriate now that I think about it, RPS was one of the more civil and accepting sites. :P
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Great post :)

I should save it and re-post it anywhere else people might voice negative opinions about the game before playing past the Downtown sector.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Draconis
Thug

Post by Draconis »

I post on GT a lot and I must have missed that thread, most posters there are Halo kids with no sense of quality whatsoever, this is one of the best TC mods ever. FACT. Care to link to the thread?
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Draconis wrote:I post on GT a lot and I must have missed that thread, most posters there are Halo kids with no sense of quality whatsoever, this is one of the best TC mods ever. FACT. Care to link to the thread?
They were actually comments on the trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/user ... st=popular
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

The first two pages of comments there (Just the crap ones) are enough to warrant a facepalm so hard, so epic it causes one's face to implode and destroy half of Texas...

If one plays a game for graphics then they shouldst be FORCED to play Mario, DOOM, Quake, Duke3D, Wolfenstein 3D, well y'all get the point, Old games that look like sh*t but are still good/great.

[EDIT] And then this one caught my eye...
Grim2012 wrote:Who the hell mabe this pice of crap? Hu? Seven years in the making! R U joking? It took 7 years to make this?! Looks like a group of retared monkeys created this.
WHAT!? I am just another fan of TNM and DX and I am wanting to seriously injure this retard, I can only imagine how y'all feel, y'all worked SEVEN years on this and 'tis not only great but 'tis EPIC as well.
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

The people who are saying the GFX Suck are proberly just kids. Kids (Aka anyone in the teens) are more likley to not have grown up with Deux Ex, so there too use to Better GFX. Its like if someone modded Pong into a FPS RPG (Yeh i know its a slightly extreme example... only slightly tho), your likley to state the GFX Suck, just because you grew up with better GFX.

I was about 15 when Deux Ex came out, so i was the right age to now think the DX GFX are perfectly fine.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Well of course the graphics wouldst be horrible, but that wouldst not stop me from playing and possibly enjoying it, I wouldst not even put the graphics as part of any problems.

Except for if the engine limits the mod's potential, TNM wouldst probably be better on a different engine, but then 'twouldst have been more work and probably wouldst have felt less like the Deus Ex we all know and love.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I think Jonas' in game character's reaction to Trestkon not thanking him for his work is what I felt Jonas in RL was going through when reading these negative comments :D.

"YOU UNGRATEFUL BASTARD" lol
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Kee715 wrote: If one plays a game for graphics then they shouldst be FORCED to play Mario, DOOM, Quake, Duke3D, Wolfenstein 3D, well y'all get the point, Old games that look like sh*t but are still good/great.
Anyone who thinks Quake 1 or Wolf 3d are still good games need to lose their rose-tinted glasses. They were good for their time, but Wolf3d is borderline unplayable and Quake is very brown, and very plain, and very stale. The last time I replayed it was with a custom renderer that made the game look like a sketch, and as cool as that was I could only keep my interest for about four levels.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I appreciate mouse-look too much to replay Wolf3D or Doom.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

You can have mouselook in Doom with a source port like Doomsday or zDoom.
Wolf3d is pretty much unsalvageable from having totally flat levels with two textures a piece. When every single level takes you a couple hours to get out of because of the maze created by the ancient quality, it's not really all that fun. :P
Plus I've never been able to even beat the first boss of Wolf3d. Soldiers in wolf have no "back" and thus you can't sneak up on him, there's no indirect fire, and that guy has two chainguns. If you're in any position at all capable of shooting him, he's whittling you down to dead in half a second. Never figured out what the fuck I was supposed to do there.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Alright forget Wolf3D, I never played it anyway, I just listed that because when I think "Old game that looks like ****" Wolf3D is ALWAYS on the list...

But the others are still fun, I have had more fun with DOOM, DOOM II, and Quake than several modern games.

Deus Ex and Half-Life pawn them though. :D
Magnas
Thug

Post by Magnas »

Meh, you're always bound to get those kind of reviews. Unintelligent, yes. But worth getting up in arms about? Nah. There will always be those who can't play a game that isn't "ohmygodsupernextgenbloomwowawesomelooking." Anything short of a trillion polies is far too low-poly for some of these people.

But I do enjoy reading what they have to say. If you ever need a boost in confidence concerning one's personality, this is a great method. Though it does make you wonder about the future of humanity until you realize that the bulk of humanity is exactly like that and always has been.
Kee715 wrote:Deus Ex and Half-Life pawn them though. :D
Am I the only one picturing a couple of shifty-looking Deus Ex and Half-Life boxes with sunglasses and Groucho-glasses (respectively) trying to pawn Doom and Quake for a little extra... spending money?
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Magnas wrote:
Kee715 wrote:Deus Ex and Half-Life pawn them though. :D
Am I the only one picturing a couple of shifty-looking Deus Ex and Half-Life boxes with sunglasses and Groucho-glasses (respectively) trying to pawn Doom and Quake for a little extra... spending money?
Yes.