Congratulations from a guy who knows what you went through

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Warren Spector
Mole Person

Congratulations from a guy who knows what you went through

Post by Warren Spector »

Congratulations on completing The Nameless Mod. Many of us on the original Deus Ex team followed your progress and, though the wait's been long, you finally pulled it off. I know how hard it is to craft player-driven, DX-style experiences. I also know how rewarding it can be when you succeed and hope you have a real feeling of accomplishment, now that TMN is in the box.

In a remarkable bit of timing, I was just about to buy TMN when one of the folks at the Junction Point office handed me a package from you guys containing a copy! I'm grateful for that.

It's been a while since I ran my own game, but I'll be reinstalling it soon and can't wait to play a new Deus Ex adventure. If the trailer is any indication, you guys went way beyond anything we would have dared attempt in the original.

Congratulations, again, and thanks for your support and enthusiasm all these years. I honestly don't know how you kept going for -- what was it? Seven years? Man, that's dedication.

Warren Spector
Project Director, Deus Ex
http://www.junctionpoint.com/
http://junctionpoint.wordpress.com/
Last edited by Warren Spector on Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warren Spector
Mole Person

Re: Congratulations from a guy who knows what you went through..

Post by Warren Spector »

BTW, the comment "Explore a huge city beautifully rendered with cutting-edge 1999 technology" made me laugh out loud. And by the time I got done reading and laughing my way through your recommended system requirements, half the team here thought I was nuts. Great stuff.

Seriously, we were bleeding edge back in the day and now any machine can run DX. Yow.

Warren
Deacon Lowdown
Mole Person

Re: Congratulations from a guy who knows what you went through

Post by Deacon Lowdown »

I'm a tremondous fan, Mr. Spector.

denizsi (RPG Codex) - "Somewhere, in a dump dark spot, Warren Spector is tearing his hair and skin apart, crying inside, and out. "IS THIS *MY* FAN BASE!? IS THIS WHY I'VE DONE THIS, RELEASED THE SDK?!"

If you could say one thing to this person, what would it be?
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Mr Spector, you are the most Awesome guy in the Universe, bringin us Deus Ex! Even Invisible War was great at some points.

It would be rather annoying if it turned out to be some kind of board guest... :shock: I hope not [-o<
LTKJAY
Thug

Post by LTKJAY »

I am not worthy.
Gunpowder, Gelatine
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytime
admiraljustin
Thug

Post by admiraljustin »

If something like this can get Warren Spector to replay a game he probably spent so much time playing he can identify BSP holes in his sleep, then it's all been worth it, and I'm glad I played a small role in it's creation.
Is that a muffin?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I think I just spent 10 minutes re-reading your post trying to decide if this is real. Since you know about the DVD, I'm going to decide that you are real, and thus:

Thanks for your post. I don't know what else to say. I really really hope you'll enjoy the mod, though I admit I was somewhat hoping you wouldn't get it before we've patched out the most glaring logic bugs - you probably know how that feels too!

I'm really grateful that you took the time to register here and let us know that you've received the DVD.

I'm also grateful that I'm not talking to you in person right now, or I'd be blathering on like an idiot.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Thanks for the kind words, Mr. Spector! As Jonas said, it means a lot to us that you took the time to register and we're glad the DVD found it's way to your desk :-)

As for how we kept going for seven years, it's largely due to insanity ;)
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Trestkon wrote:it's largely due to insanity ;)
It's called determination!
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
admiraljustin
Thug

Post by admiraljustin »

Trestkon wrote:As for how we kept going for seven years, it's largely due to insanity ;)
Based on all the quotes from the development of the official games, I'd say it's how they managed to release the games themselves, too.
Is that a muffin?
LeoBad
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by LeoBad »

This thread is best thread of all threads!

Jonas wrote:
Trestkon wrote:it's largely due to insanity ;)
It's called determination!

Yeah, I say that to myself sometimes, outloud. When myself comes to visit.
Jcelios
MJ12

Post by Jcelios »

I think it should be noted that I had the opportunity to make the first reply in this thread.
And contemplated using that opportunity to ask Warren how you get on the boat.
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

Blimey, Warren Spector! I was online when you registered and I saw your name at the bottom of the screen and thought 'no way', but this looks the real deal. If it is can I just say how much of a legend I think you are :) Please stick around too, it'd be great with you on the forums!
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Holy mother -

I'll be damned.

If this gentlemen is the real Warren Spector, then to you Sir - it's you who gave us the wonderful experience of Deus Ex. A game like no other. Thank you for your support of the Deux Ex modding community :)
Grub
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Grub »

Thanks, Warren :)

We've gone on for seven years thanks to something called Love and Insanity. I can't speak fully for -all- seven since I joined in 2005, but that's definitely what's been going on as far as I can remember.

And right now this is one of those moments where I know I have a million different things I'd like to say, but I feel all jittery and I can't remember any of them.

What else can I say but thanks so much for the original Deus Ex? Simple words cannot describe how much its incredible impact and legacy has meant to me. Somehow you tuned into the frequency of a mass ether of subconscious muttering and whispering and listened to what they had to say. Finding that right time to jump into the grand river of minds takes a certain kind of magic. And it was magical, indeed.

So, yeah. Thanks so much.

Hope you enjoy the game. Please leave feedback, opinions, bug reports, whatever. I'm sure Jonas and Larry and everyone else will have their own minds to speak so I'll step aside for the moment and let that take its course.

May this not be the last time we, either as individuals or as groups, speak. :-)

Peace out.