Question about the Damage System

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Agent_Kyramud
Thug

Question about the Damage System

Post by Agent_Kyramud »

Okay, I do not understand your damage system when it comes to firearms. In the game, a .45 does more damage than the 7.62 round on the assault rifle. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 7.62 round bigger than the .45? And in general, doesn't the biggest round do the most damage?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Question about the Damage System

Post by Jonas »

Game balance trumps realism every time. Sorry.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Vavrek
UNATCO

Post by Vavrek »

Depends on what you mean by biggest. 7.62mm is a .30-cal, so it's actually a narrower round than the .45. However, rifle rounds tend to have far, far more powder behind them than pistol rounds, so it carries with it a lot more energy and typically is designed to penetrate armor better. On the third hand, a lot of people value the .45 for its sheer stopping power. Depending on placement, it can actually take less bullets from a .45-cal pistol than a .30-cal assault rifle to kill someone.

But you neglect the actual important thing. The .45s are Trestkon's Guns. They look awesome and were given to him by PDX. There's no reason to believe that they obey reality when the person who gave them to him is now invulnerable to harm.
Agent_Kyramud
Thug

Post by Agent_Kyramud »

Points taken. But by any chance, is there an easy way to alter the amount of damage dealt or or am I just dreaming here?
TheXGhost
Thug

Post by TheXGhost »

Agent_Kyramud wrote:Points taken. But by any chance, is there an easy way to alter the amount of damage dealt or or am I just dreaming here?
yeah, just use a console command, press t, delete the "say" and type:

Set weaponassaultgun HitDamage X

x being the value to set it to. I think you might have to do this everytime you restart the game though.
.siht daer ot emit eht koot yllautca uoy eveileb tnac I
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

The class name for trestkons guns is weapondoubleguns
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You can also export our code via UnrealEd, change the doubleguns class, and recompile it. If you know what you're doing :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

TheXGhost wrote: yeah, just use a console command, press t, delete the "say" and type:

Set weaponassaultgun HitDamage X

x being the value to set it to. I think you might have to do this everytime you restart the game though.
Also, the TNM assaultguns are not the DX assault guns: they're a different class. Probably weaponTNMassaultgun, I suspect.

Essentially, the assaultgun has a 30+ round mag, fires 5 rounds a time (or 3 in TNM, I think), and is fully automatic.

If you make 7.62 shells do the damage you might expect, the assaultgun would mince through everything. This would be bad.

And remember, you are not the only person wielding an assaultgun: as standard loadout for a whole host of bad guys, making the damage greater will have a severe impact on your survivability.
Pointman
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Pointman »

Well... it looks like a hairdryer, and it... works like a hairdryer :D
pretending to be absent
TheXGhost
Thug

Post by TheXGhost »

for loads of fun, try these out

set weapontnmflamethrower projectileclass x

x could be:
shuriken
foonproj
lam
rocket
gasgrenade
plasmaproj
any other projectiles that you know of

imagine this, an automatic, rapid-fire, 200 round clip rocket launcher. The only problem with that is if you come up against an enemy with a flamethrower, kill him FAST
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Would it be possible to have the Flamethrower fire 3 or 4 times the amount of fire? >:D

Or maybe have the Napalm Launcher shoot clusters of four or five globs?

Or maybe have the Dual Pistols of Injustice shoot at a higher RoF, of nothing else how would I do that?
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Agent_Kyramud wrote:Okay, I do not understand your damage system when it comes to firearms. In the game, a .45 does more damage than the 7.62 round on the assault rifle. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 7.62 round bigger than the .45? And in general, doesn't the biggest round do the most damage?
7.62 is MM, .45 is inches. Ammunition uses different methods of recording size. But for shorter distances a .45 would be more powerful than a 7.62 round - simply because it's bigger. Over a long range 7.62 is better because of the higher amount of powder and therefore it can maintain speed over longer distances.
TheXGhost
Thug

Post by TheXGhost »

Kee715 wrote:Would it be possible to have the Flamethrower fire 3 or 4 times the amount of fire? >:D

Or maybe have the Napalm Launcher shoot clusters of four or five globs?

Or maybe have the Dual Pistols of Injustice shoot at a higher RoF, of nothing else how would I do that?
Umm, I dont know about the flamethrower or napalm stuff, well, without decompiling and editing their classes, but the faster RoF is an easy fix, but the class might be wrong, so ask:

set weapondoublegun shottime x

x being somewhere between 1 and .01, and the im pretty sure the lower, the faster.
NOTE: I do not reccomend making it like .01, because it will fire like the flamethrower, more than 1 shot per click, just make it .1 or .2, MAJOR improvement.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Thanks.

And I have too much time, enough time to read your sig....

>.>
<.<
Blade sword
NSF

Post by Blade sword »

Hum the bullets from an assault rifle does less damage than a pistol bullet to organic targets, in therms of game balance the TNM team kept the same as Deus Ex, even if the assault rifle needs to make something like 5 - 7 damage per bullet and being less accurate and loose its accuracy sooner.
I think the accuracy of the rifle should be lost faster and gain faster.
The assault rifle bullets should make 8 - 12 damage points to armored targets, for the pistols they do a right damage, but the problem is more the damage dealt with the AR
I'm pretty sure the assault rifle become a good weapon without to remove the interest of a pistol with that configuration and the enemies are deadlier with an assault rifle if we go too close because I loose more health against many weapons except the assault rifle

The basic pistol needs to have 9 bullets instead of 6 in a clip and a faster aiming
The stealth pistol 14 bullets instead of 10 and a faster aiming
The mini crossbow a faster aiming

The sniper rifle 7 bullets instead of 6 and a faster aiming
The sawed off a better accuracy and a faster aiming
The assault shotgun a faster reloading (a bit 4 seconds instead of 4.5 seconds) and aiming

The pepper gun releases a more permanent gas
The crowbar does 10 instead of 6, the baton 9 instead of 7 and the sword 13 instead of 10
The throwing weapons like the knives needs to have 35 ammo max instead of 25

The ability to carry 7 LAWs in the same space that the LAW takes (the fact we throw the empty launcher was a great thing)
The plasma rifle needs to deal a bit more damage against robots and a faster aiming

About some TNM weapons

Pull down the .45 pistols damage isn't good IMO even with a faster fire.
And other improvement for those pistols is the fact when we use a clip upgrade it gives 2 bullets instead of one.
I think the pump gun should make a bit more damages and have 7 bullets instead of 8 and make 18 damages instead of 15
The alpha's operator pistol needs to have one more bullets than the normal pistol

About normal weapons again

There is a bug on the GEP gun it writes WP rocket even if I'm on the normal rockets and those two ammos were linked :/ except on their effect and the GEP gun rockets can't be used ...

and I would suggest a little addition with the gloves and the hands it's to use the change ammo key to change the gloves when we use the hands.

DaveW got right about ammo, .45 is bigger than 7.62 mm the .45 ammo is about 11.43 mm, it's bigger than the DX pistol ammo, it's just the AR need to deal a bit more damage and be more effective against armor ....