A Review: To name a mod good or not, that is the question

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
traipson
Mole Person

A Review: To name a mod good or not, that is the question

Post by traipson »

Deus ex was a good but not excellent game combining fps/rpg elements in uneven
and unpolished whole. Still, because it was really one of precious few of its kind of games (such as System Shocks, Thief series) it was really in a class of its own.
Namely not being a focused game but a collection of more or less finished elements
combined from various sources to enjoyable whole.

Nameless mod really improves Deus Ex formula in every way that is reasonably possible and desirable - at least IMHO. Unfortunately this game of mod is really one of its kind and I am not too hopeful that even DX3 will deliver anything comparable to this mod. But thankfully TNM is here and now - and it is nothing but breathtaking!

Positives
++ Release/Content/Quality - Well the greatest point about this mod is the fact that you released it even if it took so long to make it. The mod was tested, debugged and polished adequately before release. Finally this mod is almost literally bursting in its seams because it has so much -content- and most of it is of good quality. Those are the main points and most importantly - You people believed in your mod, had the skill, dedication and capacity to pull of something this big and ..well.. really damn good!

+ Gameplay/Difficulty - better tuning of challenge level - not cakewalk like Deus Ex was, even on realistic difficulty. Setting of difficulty level was also a definitive plus. Buying stuff was better handled by vending machines - no more awkward conversations but straight to point purchases and money is useful and not a bunch of numbers as was the case in original game most of the time.

+ Weapons/Tools - interesting and nasty new weapons - molotov cocktails gave new use to demolition skill; although Phat Rays were annoying, but funny, I have to admit.

+ Voice acting - was good and dialogue was written well.
Sure there were some rough spots, but overall I guess the quality and definitely the quantity of cinematic VO, barks etc. compare favorably vs. original Deus Ex in both sound/acting and content wise - no doubt about that.

+ Plot - was reasonably interesting, of course the goofyness bothers a little but not too much. Especially the possibility of high level "choice" (WC vs PDX) was a high point of the plot development. Sidemissions were interesting too and not at all "experience point excursions" or "augmentation hunts". Initially I assumed the odd and dull premise would ruin the mod but this was not to be the case. The "forum city and this is all virtual" did not diminish or bother me when playing the mod in the least.
>> dynamic ending and choices made throughout the game - this really improves in the DX-formula and it was truly fun and surprising to watch what happened to different characters after what player did or did not do during the course of the game.

+ Music - this was a strong point of the original game and here the mod really delivers.
First of all the fact that you were able to hack a closed source game and add a ogg vorbis - based dynamic music player! (And that it impressive in it's own right and really the quality of music really benefits from this) But the quality and quantity of music which captured and enhance the mood of levels just beautifully and masterfully! And most of the music is worth to listen in its own right, I guess that tells something as well.

+ Maps - Best part was the realization of Deus Ex best gameplay parts. Namely the "hub" or city maps where multiple maps create an illusion of freedom and exploration, players choice of progressing in main and sidequests in freeform sequence. Only minor problem was the size and emptyness of some maps - especially Downtown map suffers from this. I guess IMHO if this and some other maps were to be squeezed to 75% of their size or so and some small side quests or just window dressing would be added this problem would go away. Although I have to admit this space initially is fun and seduces player to explore maps thoroughly and it adds to atmosphere too.

Negatives
- On the relatively minor negative side were the huge savegames, minor stability problems, losing gathered stuff at certain points of game and certain "features" of
Unreal Engine such as stiff movement, inability to mantle etc. But i guess such a huge mod cannot test the game internally but bugfixes come after the "fact" of release - and its free so I can't complain.

- AI was poor but I guess you could not improve or alter it in any significant way because it is part of binary portion of the engine. Sound system is disappointing but once again the technology is out of reach.

- One oddity I did not understand was the decision to keep the original Deus Ex augmentations almost unchanged. Sure there were tweaks such as automating Power Recirculator and making it possible to make light aug cost free but basic augs were unchanged. I just remember that a few years back there were aug mods for DX which combined weaker augs and came up with completely new and interesting augs unlike the relatively unimaginative and dull augs - but then again that was the only oddity that strikes my eye in the overall mod.

Overall - very good game and hopefully you people can pull of something similar in the future - I would most definitely buy and play it if it has the same caliber as this mod.
Oh, and I am really looking forward to playing through WC storyline as soon as patch 1.0.2 comes out - If anybody is interested I'll post some more observations after 2nd and quite possibly 3rd playthrough.

Verdict: I Am Certainly T.N.M Positive ++ >> I am one sick bastard ;)
bananaSkill
Thug

Re: A Review: To name a mod good or not, that is the question

Post by bananaSkill »

Well said my man :)
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Thanks for the review, traipson! Glad you enjoyed TNM :-)
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I still haven't gotten used to people posting actual reviews here, but we do love hearing from you guys, so thanks a lot.

And hey, it's good on the old ego to hear that the only major problems with TNM were DX things we couldn't change :P

Well, except the map sizes, but we knew about that even before we released, there's just no reasonable way to fix it.

Thanks for your feedback :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Duke Floss
UNATCO

Post by Duke Floss »

Jonas wrote: Well, except the map sizes, but we knew about that even before we released, there's just no reasonable way to fix it.
The map sizes weren't that bad - I found I would memorize shortcuts & such much like I did for the original DX levels. I loved getting the WWW Voodoo Shop links open - one of the many times I was surprised by what was done with the level-design and overall visual style of the game. Not to mention all the interface upgrades to the computers, data-cubes, etc.
As for all of DX's faults - as someone who plays DX at least twice a year - the inherent DX bugs are not as apparent to me when I play TNM, although I am not bothered much by the bugs in DX anyhow.
http://www.heavyjack.com - Quality Programming ~ Entertainment, News, Reviews, Games and Sports TV with an emphasis on the HEAVY JACK.
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

"adequately tested". I like that :P