The Dragon's Tooth Sword is too damn loud

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
robocop
Thug

The Dragon's Tooth Sword is too damn loud

Post by robocop »

Come on, sound designers, slashing the DTS against a wall is louder than standing on 4 crates of TNT and shooting them with the GEP gun. If you slash in such a way that you hit 2 things, it's even worse. It's so loud that I only use it to break down tough doors, ie when I pretty much have to use it - I prefer to use my fists in fights, since at least they don't deafen me.

I haven't installed 1.0.2 yet, so if it's already fixed then I apologise. Otherwise, could you do something about it for the next patch?
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: The Dragon's Tooth Sword is too damn loud

Post by DDL »

Problem: hitsound is played when things are hit.

Problem: nanosword does not hit once for 100, it hits five times for 20.

Result: hitsound is played five times per hit, simultaneously.

Comment: this also happens in DX.

Suggestion: phrase questions in a less confrontational fashion. "come on, sound designers" suggests sound peeps have ANYTHING to do with this, which they don't.
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

Strange in all of my testing I never noticed that.
I did this through quick testing in the basement of the apartment building and it almost sounds more like it is playing the wrong audio (sounding like hitting concrete). (I also hit some crates and the floor with the fire blade and the audio that I was getting with that.)
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
Pandarsenic
Thug

Post by Pandarsenic »

The problem is, if I recall correctly, that in original DX the sound played once because the sword did a single strike so powerful that it annihilated any environmental element or full-strength destroyable door it touched instantly. Mods like Shifter and TNM change it from 100x1 to 20x5 so that it doesn't replace all of your lockpicks and explosives that you used to use to open stuff. This has the unfortunate effect of playing its sound 5 times, with their volume stacking to give the results you complain about.

As for the solution? No idea.
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

pretty sure we made no such change in tnm.

Having said that we did actually add a couple of sounds for the nanosword, DDL, so its possible they're not properly normalised with the dx sounds.
robocop
Thug

Post by robocop »

Yeah, I guess I was a little out of line, but I was flabbergasted that modders could manage to (even slightly) break something that was fully functional before, without greatly changing the way it worked!

My blade doesn't sound like it's hitting concrete, it sounds electric and cool - IF it plays the sound at a good volume, which only happens if I hit 1 destructible thing and nothing else. I'm 99% certain the sound is indeed playing multiple times simultaneously, which increases the volume. I never noticed it in DX.

I don't know what the fireblade is! Shouldn't you be dead for lack of spoiler tags?

I suppose the theoretically simple task of writing code that detects DTS hits, and only plays a sound for the first hit (if it exists) per swing, is beyond us, because we can't access the Unreal engine code?

By the way, the DTS still manages to break many doors, including a pair in GameSpy on level 2, the ones that shut to trap you in a room full of unbreathable gas that had 75% strength each! Not a far cry from the allegedly destructible 100% doors in DX. Oh, and I played it recently, and never found any like that.

Finally, I not sure where else to say this: too many doors have infinite door strength. What, has the price of adamantium fallen through the floor or something? If I'm running around with 20 HEs, 10 LAMs, and 10 rockets, I want to blow open as many doors as possible!
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

% =//= damage.

10% could really require 2000 damage to break.
100% could be broke with an weapon that does 1 damage hiting it 100 times.

What matters is the minimum Damage Threshold.(which is displayed for all locked things in shifter.) Now as for why you'd make a door that displays 100% and can be broke by the weakest weapon(and vice versa) I don't know, but they did do that a few times in normal Deus Ex. I specifically remember a 25% grate which required 75 damage, and like 80-100% door requiring only like 10-25 damage.

So basically:

DTS with 20X5=100
door with 100% and 20 DT= broken
door with 100% and 20< DT= not broken
Paul1290
NSF

Post by Paul1290 »

"Thor the god of thunder is trying to get into my building!" :lol:
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

~
summon weaponnanosword

That'll get you the original sword within TNM if it really is deafening.

I didn't notice a volume issue. I did find the sound similarly annoying as the original, but I liked the wobbly sound it makes when hitting very solid things, like a bendy floppy sword versus heavy steel. The other sounds are appropriate, but I just use that sword a lot.

I did miss the capability though of destroying cameras. I liked that about the original. I'll admit it's far better gameplay without that ability, but I liked it.
DDL

Post by DDL »

You really should be able to kill cameras with it.

You just need master skill and some combat strength (or max combat strength and some low tech skill): it needs 50 damage in a single hit to kill a camera and it only does 20 at a time, so max skill or combat takes that up to 40, needing thus...*checks* augcombat at level 2 or lowtech at advanced (I think) to take it to 50.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Oh, ok, excellent. I chose microfibral muscle, to lift things that could potentially hide secret stuff. I guess I must have picked combat strength in Deus Ex more often then. I read something in the wiki that the one unique sword was better at objects than the DTS.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Digital Ronin's katana deals 30 points of damage at a time, so is easier to break stuff with, but slightly harder to kill stuff with :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Skilgannon
UNATCO

Post by Skilgannon »

Jonas wrote:Digital Ronin's katana deals 30 points of damage at a time, so is easier to break stuff with, but slightly harder to kill stuff with :)
Yeah, but damn do you look like a real badass ninja waving it around. Especially if you visit the pagoda thing in Goat City a visit. :twisted:
Life is a series of random events designed to strip you of your sanity.

Wounded Ronin
Thug

Post by Wounded Ronin »

Pandarsenic wrote:The problem is, if I recall correctly, that in original DX the sound played once because the sword did a single strike so powerful that it annihilated any environmental element or full-strength destroyable door it touched instantly. Mods like Shifter and TNM change it from 100x1 to 20x5 so that it doesn't replace all of your lockpicks and explosives that you used to use to open stuff. This has the unfortunate effect of playing its sound 5 times, with their volume stacking to give the results you complain about.

As for the solution? No idea.
Ha, that is why it was awesome. I could Goemon my way through the game, being the lone samurai against platoons of riflemen. ;)
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I think so too. It's like a lightsaber, slicing through or melting through anything. I realize it hurts the RPG elements of the game, making it easier, but in the story + FPS game it's a "doomsday weapon". I prefer the original.

And excellent Goemon reference.