Audio

Stare in awe at the fascinating machinations of the TNM team during the last two years of production, this was our private forum.

Moderator: TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

That's weird. If you're still awake, maybe try the PM system. I'll make it snappy.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Orak
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Orak »

Hi again. Right, Ambient (+ intro) for ABI-UC (underground complex) is uploaded, and Death. Please bear in mind these are from someone elses work that I hjave polished and extended!.

Also, don't forget my post from yesterday with an mp3 link for a possible track for you.

Cheers.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Steve as soon as we heard Infection, the first level that came to mind was DXI. This is good, seeing how Redd left the main DXI tracks unfinished. Would you be interested in finishing Infection (it's already the perfect style, so no alterations needed) and adding a conversation, combat, death, and outro track to it? The outro is already done, you will be able to see it in the next Alpha (or if you download 21_DXI_FrontEnd from the FTP and set the right flag before pushing the elevator button when the intro is done).
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Orak
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Orak »

Jonas wrote:Steve as soon as we heard Infection, the first level that came to mind was DXI. This is good, seeing how Redd left the main DXI tracks unfinished. Would you be interested in finishing Infection (it's already the perfect style, so no alterations needed) and adding a conversation, combat, death, and outro track to it? The outro is already done, you will be able to see it in the next Alpha (or if you download 21_DXI_FrontEnd from the FTP and set the right flag before pushing the elevator button when the intro is done).
I'd rather the track didn't go to waste, so will indeed finish it off for you and add the others, although please bear with me until I've finished ABI for you. Is it the DXI Ruins one? I'll wait for the Alpha.

Oh, and could you give me an example of a link to my traks as well, so that next time I can post one (due to it now being different).

Cheers.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yep the maps are called 21_DXI_FrontEnd and 21_DXI_Ruins, and the tracks are prefixed with DXI_Main, I just uploaded them to Redd's folder in case you want to check them out, but seeing how his ambient doesn't loop and it's missing the convo, death, and outro parts, I think we may as well just use it for bonus material.

The link to your latest ambient would be:
http://thenamelessmod.com/teamftp/PACKA ... mbient.ogg

I'm just listening to it right now, and it really brought out the hidden awesomeness in Andrew's work :D

It's funny because there seems to be a tune in there that I really love, and I recognize it from the old track but I never noticed it before - it's like you found it hidden away in there and brought it up to the surface. I always liked that track to begin with because somehow it lets you feel the frost in the air, it's really quite amazing.

I'm glad this will make it into the impending alpha :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Orak
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Orak »

Glad it's OK for you.

A question about the track naming you asked about a while: are we talking for ALL tracks, or just levels. E.g does the Ambient, conversation etc have different names, or just ABI OC?
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

sounding good
ahmatron
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ahmatron »

Nice!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I don't think it's necessary to name the individual files, just the overall level soundtracks :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Here a question for the musician types:

Due to filesize/skipping issues, we're looking to downgrade the bitrate of the tracks slightly. We'd keep the current high bitrate files for the soundtrack, of course, but we think it's a good idea to downgrade the ingame files.

My question is this: what would be an acceptable bitrate that would balance quality with filesize? I believe everything is currently most at 128. And keep in mind that the conversation files are only 48kbps and 24000Hz mp3 files.

What say you?
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Orak
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Orak »

Trestkon wrote:Here a question for the musician types:

Due to filesize/skipping issues, we're looking to downgrade the bitrate of the tracks slightly. We'd keep the current high bitrate files for the soundtrack, of course, but we think it's a good idea to downgrade the ingame files.

My question is this: what would be an acceptable bitrate that would balance quality with filesize? I believe everything is currently most at 128. And keep in mind that the conversation files are only 48kbps and 24000Hz mp3 files.

What say you?

Sorry, you're asking the wrong person here, as I would never do anything lower than 128, and even 128 sounds bad to me. Not much help I know, but I wanted to reply. And to go significantly smaller, you'd probably after halve that - give it a go and see what you think.

With talking you can get away with much less than you can with music without noticing and for it not too matter.

Steve.
ahmatron
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ahmatron »

I agree with Steve - 128 is absolutely minimum.

I actually think it would be a better idea to skip some of the tracks then.
How about only one death track?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Wouldn't solve the skipping issues, Ahm. Which is the biggest problem. But yeah we'll try with 128 and see if that works. We'll also call Jim in to troubleshoot on the player.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Jim seems to have fixed the skipping issue! The new .dll file will be in Alpha 1.8.0 :)
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
ahmatron
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ahmatron »

Hi guys

A new track for the voodooshop

www.ahmatron.com/Voodooshop_Ambient.ogg

ROCK N ROLL