Modeling

Stare in awe at the fascinating machinations of the TNM team during the last two years of production, this was our private forum.

Moderator: TNM Team

Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

I want to look at the map so I can see how the outside looks, I assume that is the inside?
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Ah, yes 24_SpaceStation01 and 02 is the interior. If you go on MSN, I can either send you everything you need to open it, or strip all the crap you don't have out of it one piece at a time until you can open it. But it's kind of a bother to do that over the forums ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

You guys owe me loads for doing this! It's a bloody nightmare. :P
Moonbo
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Moonbo »

Regarding having the shuttle land in the space station, it'd still be possible to have that happen even if the station is a mdl. Using a film cut, you can have the space station model, and then another set made of CSG representing a close-up of the landing bay (with flashy lights and the like). You have a 'long shot' of the shuttle approaching the station, and then you cut to the close-up set and show the shuttle landing.

-Gelo
But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.
-Sun Myung Moon
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Phas, if this is really bad, then don't do it. I can make it with CSG.

In any you should probably not begin right now, we're still not done with the map :o
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Here's the first floor, I know the map isn't finished yet but that shouldn't be too much of a problem because I've made it sectional, if all goes to plan I will animate it so sections get blown away and spin off out of shot.

Aslong as this is the only thing in the cutscene (model wise) I should be able to push the ammount of polys up by quite a bit.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Mwuahah, that looks awesome :-)

Also, the model doesn't have to be *exactly* the same as the map. So if we add some something, I don't think we really have to worry about changing the model.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

@ Trestkon: That's true.

@ Phasmatis: Holy fucking shit. That's all.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Okay, it would seem that I don't know how to set MaterialIDs...at all.

I created the model, applied the Unwrap UVW modifier, and then I'm trying to set the screen of this thing (Pong arcade game) to ID 2, but I have no idea how. I tried selecting the screen poly and changing the Map Channel to 2, and the rest of the model to 1, but that doesn't seem to be it. It insists that random parts of the model are ID 2 and 1, and I can't seem to change it :?

Help me, Master Phas!
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

I'm a retard.

I forgot you had to do the material id selecting before you applied Unwrap UVW :oops:
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Okay, Phas, I have more awesome question pour vous.

I managed to get everything mapped, although it's a bit sloppy. However, when I imported it into DX, half of the screen texture is smudged. It looked fine in Max and the model viewer Jonas was using...

As a related question: Is it possible to assign different texture sizes to the different MatIDs? As far as I could tell, I had to set them to the same size, which kind of sucked. Ideally, I wanted to have a 256*512 for the box and then a 256*256 for the screen. But whenever I change the size in the Max UVW editor dealy, it changes for both IDs.

At least I'm making *some* progress :p
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Now that I look at it, it seems the screen texture is also rotated CW by 90 degrees, I have no idea why it would do that :shock:
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Ok, UVMap the model, make sure you only use Channel 1 as Deusex can't use more than 1 uv channel. Also make sure the uvmap is inside (away from the edges) the box or you will get stretching like you have on the screen there.

In the uvmap editor goto>options>preferences and uncheck the "tile bitmap" option, that will show just the checkered box where you can uvmap.

Now the model is all uvmapped you need to assign the material ids. Right click on the model in the view port then goto>convert to:>Convert to Editable mesh. Now on the right in the modifiers tab click on "Editable Mesh" you should now have a rollout (vertex, edge, face, polygon, element) click on polygon unless it's already highlighted. Now scroll down until you find the surface properties section.

Now select the polys for material ID1 and change the number in "set ID" to 1 now do that for the rest of the material IDs.
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

About the slot machine, I haven't got it anymore. You can download it from Fileplanet I think though.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Ah, the stretching thing probably is a result of touching the boundry, good call.

How about the textures sizes though? Can I use a 256*512 for one MatID and a 254*256 for the other? Every time I change the Custom Texture size, it changes for both MatIDs.