Mapping

Stare in awe at the fascinating machinations of the TNM team during the last two years of production, this was our private forum.

Moderator: TNM Team

Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

hohoho, did some actual work last night.

http://tnm.offtopicproductions.com/team ... _03_06.rar

I setup the new elevator (minus some lighting) and fixed 2 nasty BSP errors in that cavern room.

TODO: Light the elevator, intro cinematic (anything I need to know to use our system?)
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Jonas, I've uploaded a new Slums and FrontEnd version. The Slums part of the transition is pretty much done, I think, but I still need to setup the cinematic for the FrontEnd map. I also happened upon another BSP error in FrontEnd, on the ground near the rocks by the ladder down to....that matrix knock-off section (can't remember name...need sleep).

*sleeps*
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Things I need Chris to do because I don't trust myself enough to do it (in order of effort/difficulty):
  1. Finish the OSC (duh).
  2. Expand both Space Station maps.
  3. Add a room for a boss fight with Athena and a secret room beneath the stand to the Goat Templae?.
  4. Add a transition between the Corporate sector and DXE (including a lobby in DXE with an elevator going down to the actual map).
  5. Add transitions between ABIExterior, ABIInterior, ABIRuins, and ABILabs.
  6. Fix BSP errors in Downtown, Llama temple, corporate sewers, Partyzone, and WC01.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Hmm, I can't figure out a good way to cause the elevator to slow down as it enters the DXI caverns. I'm holding up on the cinematic until I figure out a way to do that. I'd like to have the camera show the elevator decending, and it's a little hard to ake it look good when it's going so fast.

The newest versions of Slums and FrontEnd are on the FTP, you can take the elevator from the slums to DXI, but you have to set the 'DXILiftOn' flag to true.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Why do you have to make it slow down? You can't just make it go slow from the outset? Nobody's saying you HAVE to make it start all the way at the top of that tunnel...
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Jonas wrote:Why do you have to make it slow down? You can't just make it go slow from the outset? Nobody's saying you HAVE to make it start all the way at the top of that tunnel...
I guess. It's just not as fun:p
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

It may be more fun yeah, but if you don't know how to do it, screw it. We need this part to work in the next alpha ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

I'd like to request a modification to the ABI exterior. Basically there is no way you could possibly do the mission stealthily as there is a bottleneck where two pathways intersect and there is a sniper focused on exactly that point. That point is the gate/secret tunnel to the main compound. I propose that we include some sort of ditch along the side of the complex that the player can crawl along outside of the view of the sniper. It could head towards the generators and end when it hit the far wall.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well, this is an interesting new development.

I can't open 20_GoatCity.dx anymore. When I attempt to open it, the title bar changes to say the map is open, yet nothing changes in the view screen. If I have no map open already, the world remains blank: I can see the dark blue grid of the void, but nothing else. If I have another map open, it stays open.

It can't be because I'm missing anything. The log shows nothing, no errors, no warnings... nothing. It started when Shane sent me his modified version, he had put pathing in it. I extracted it and opened it and this problem occurred. I assumed something was wrong with the map file, so I overwrote it with my old path-less version and got to work on pathing it. Now I'm trying to open that map, and I run into this problem.

What the hell do I do? :?

[EDIT]

Hm, when I try to open the map in-game, I get this error:
Warning: Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Failed to find object 'Level None.MyLevel'
What the hell, guys?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

That's totally bizarre:S

I tried making a MyLevel package with a 'None.uc' class. However, UCC informed me that I couldn't call a class 'None.uc' and instead had to call it 'Class0.uc'. I did so, but the level still didn't work.

As far as I know, MyLevel is actually a sort of package that is built into the level, and I'm not at all sure how this error occurred. Looks like we'll have to make use of our clever sequential backups.
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

none is the UScript version of null. Which essentially means you have a pointer pointing to... nothing. What this means in terms of the map I really couldn't say.
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

Also that is what happens when the map has a class that you don't have. The game complains that it can't find the class. The editor never complains but just doesn't load the map.
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

Well now I can't load the map either. I wonder if this has something to do with changes to the packages. Though I can't think what I would have changed since yesterday afternoon tht would have broken it.

If someone -can- open it could they export it to text so we can have a look.
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

I think it's something to do with not being able to find a texture. If you do a text search through the map file you'll notice that "mylevel" occurs exactly once between the textures and the pathnodes.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Oh good God, I found a BSP error in DXI_Caverns. A BIG one.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine