Audio

Stare in awe at the fascinating machinations of the TNM team during the last two years of production, this was our private forum.

Moderator: TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hey guys, Redd uploaded this here song to the FTP, I think it's rather superb, and will be perfect when it's about two or three times as long as it is now, but there's just one problem. Where to use it? Personally, I have no friggin' clue. Keywords I would attach to it include suspense, drama, exploration, dynamic, exciting. Redd is actually meant to be making music for the three Forum City maps. Personally I think this track is rather too suspenseful to be used for the non-hostile Forum City maps, but I can see it working for any of those maps in mission 21 when there'll be hostiles around.

http://tnm.offtopicproductions.com/team ... signed.wav

I would really appreciate some help assigning this. If you haven't already, fire up TNM and run around a bit in the city maps with this track looping in the background. Imagine how it would feel if the maps were full of hostiles out to get you and see what you think the song would work best for:
  1. Downtown Sector (friendly)
  2. Downtown Sector (hostile)
  3. Corporate Sector (friendly)
  4. Corporate Sector (hostile)
  5. Slum Sector (friendly)
  6. Slum Sector (hostile)
If it helps, here is one sentence to describe each level: The downtown sector is a calm residential area with plenty of qaint shops and one big temple in the middle; it's the cultural center of the city. The corporate sector is cold and clean, polished and orderly with the authorities patrolling the streets to protect all the companies who pay good tax money to the administration. The slums are run-down and gritty, full of polution, graffiti, and general dismay; formerly made up almost entirely of heavy industry, now consisting mostly of old warehouses and ill-maintained apartment buildings.

Your aid is greatly appreciated :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

I played the music on a constant loop while cruising through each of the three sectors, and I thought it went well with the Corporate Sector. As the music is somewhat slow and melodic, I think it would fit well in a peaceful situation.

As it played, the music didn't get me anxious or ready for battle; rather, it kind of kept me a bit wary and alert of everything that was going on. I was also reminded of some kind of mystery movie, where bad events have just happened, but the main character is just coming across the first pieces of the puzzle. The crash scene on the corporate sector was enhanced by this music becaused it was set up as though it didn't just happen, but it happened early enough to perhaps be a part of the larger story of TNM.

Anyway, thats my opinion. Great track, Redd!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hm, good points. I did the same, and I definitely agree this goes best with the corporate sector. It has a sort of chill that fits the cold blue lighting of that map well. I'm not sure whether I fancy it for hostile or peaceful though. I think it's a bit creepy and suspenseful, enough to warrant being used for the ambient track in a hostile situation where you're sneaking around the map. But I also think it would fit nicely into the peaceful version of the map.

It has a lot of mystery, the track.

I think unless most people can agree this track should be used for either hostile or peaceful, I'll just leave it up to Redd, to be decided by whether he would find it easier to make a more peaceful or a more suspenseful track. Please don't let this discourage any of you from sharing your opinions though, if it turns out you all prefer it for the peaceful situation, we'll just tell Redd that :smile:
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Sensei
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Sensei »

Ok, so I finished my new track for goat city, because Jonas kept poking me.
http://www.livingstonian.com/music/goatcity2intro.ogg
http://www.livingstonian.com/music/goatcity2loop.ogg
The loop point may not be quite right, but I was lazy for a bit.
By the way, my login and password still aren't working for some reason, which is why I just upped to my own site.

Edit:
Oh yeah, I forgot to add my synth pads at the end again, so it won't loop right at all. Enjoy anyways.
Bam!
SpiritVII
Mole Person

Post by SpiritVII »

The track that Jonas posted would go really well in an area where there's not many NPCs, The track is REALLY quite dark, almost like an evil Harry Potter track or something of that nature. To be honest I would put it somewhere you would want the player to feel like he's lost or scared, I can picture it in an area that's got very dramatic lighting. It also gives me kind of a foresty feel to it I don't know why, but I doubt there are any forests in TNM, but if it did have forests this track would be perfect.
Just my opinion...

In any case, I'm back and I've been working on the Party Zone track again. What I'm trying to achieve is to merge 2 or 3 different songs together and make them fade back into eachother and loop, the idea behind this is to make the player feel like there is someone actually controlling the music, and this atmosphere cannot be achieved using and standard music loop, I won't be finished until I'm satisfied, but with that being said, I'm shooting for a finalization on Monday :). We will see what plays out, I've been working alot and I'm going to be working even more this week (42 Hours). I should be done soon. I'm even thinking about stuff to add while I'm working out in the parking lot (pushing carts $10/hr). I would say that I'm about half way done with the song (for what I would like the length to be).

Anyways, peace out homie G dawg 9000-izzle[/b]
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

it sounds liek your're describing despot's labyrinth....minus the forrest.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Sorry, but this track was meant for the Forum City. We really need some music that goes where it's supposed to, or we'll run out of levels to use the musical back-wash for. We have no forests in the mod. One solution I see is to use the track for the sewers under the corporate sector, but the initial plan was to not use different tracks for the Corp sector and its sewers, so if we do this, we'll have to make a rather similar track for the sector itself, and we should definitely still use the same combat/conversation/death tracks for both maps.

It would not fit into Despot's apartment, it's more an evil dungeon than a labyrinth, and we need something way more scary for that.

As for your track Sensei, I think it loops quite well, did you upload a fixed version after writing that post?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Sensei
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Sensei »

Jonas wrote:As for your track Sensei, I think it loops quite well, did you upload a fixed version after writing that post?
No. :-#
Bam!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Oh... well, if you agree, let's just consider it done then.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
SpiritVII
Mole Person

Post by SpiritVII »

Something I worked on while taking a break from the Party Zone song:

DXO Hideout Idle Loop [Complete]
DXO Hideout Action Loop [Coming Soon]

DXO_idle.ogg:
http://tnm.offtopicproductions.com/team ... O_idle.ogg

DXO_action.ogg:
Not done yet, thought I told you...

Enjoy!
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Sensei: Wow, those are awesome, very nice guitar :D

SpiritVII: Fast work, fantastic tracks, you rock!
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hey Spirit, you are most definitely going in the right direction with this track. Good style, good amount of suspense without being outright creepy. It would be nice if you'd add something else though. It has, what, 3 instruments in there right now? And it pauses a lot, which gets a tad annoying in my opinion. In other words, it's perhaps a bit more simple than would be preferable to avoid driving the players nuts ;)

But yep, great start!
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
LeoBad
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by LeoBad »

Sensei wrote:Ok, so I finished my new track for goat city, because Jonas kept poking me.
http://www.livingstonian.com/music/goatcity2intro.ogg
http://www.livingstonian.com/music/goatcity2loop.ogg
I love this track.
SpiritVII
Mole Person

Post by SpiritVII »

DXO_Ambient.ogg - Complete
DXO_Action.ogg - Conceptualizing...
----
Partyzone_Ambient.ogg - Complete
Partyzone_Intro.ogg - Complete
Partyzone_Muffled.ogg - Complete
----
brief.description
{
Partyzone_Muffled.ogg is a muffled version (obviously) of Partyzone_Ambient.ogg, this would be very useful in the upstairs office area of the Party Zone. I cannot imagine large speakers being in an office environment...
}
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

*head explodes from awesomeness overload*

Fantastic stuff, Spirit! I look forward to running around those levels with their very suiting tracks :-D
-Life does not snap to the x-axis