Mapping

Stare in awe at the fascinating machinations of the TNM team during the last two years of production, this was our private forum.

Moderator: TNM Team

Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Nice update, Jonas!

The soundfx in the courtyard are at a much better level now.

The lights on Oi also work quite well, although I think we either need to shrink his little podium, or get rid of it, as it basically block him from sight:p

When you pull that lantern, you actually can't hear the 'stone on stone' at all, and the message disappeared before I could actually read it.

The giant goat statue in the courtyard has no collision.

Logs look perfect with the fire.

I still can't find the button to open the fountain as I forgot what you said and I'm too stubborn/lazy to open ued :P
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Trestkon wrote:The lights on Oi also work quite well, although I think we either need to shrink his little podium, or get rid of it, as it basically block him from sight:p
I'll replace it with a book stand deco and see if that helps. I also still have to figure out how to implement that speech. Currently it operates with radii so high the game can't cope.
When you pull that lantern, you actually can't hear the 'stone on stone' at all, and the message disappeared before I could actually read it.
I'll see if I can come up with another solution.
The giant goat statue in the courtyard has no collision.
Easy fix, thanks for spotting it :)
I still can't find the button to open the fountain as I forgot what you said and I'm too stubborn/lazy to open ued :P
Well, Gelo found it, so I think we'll just declare this a successfully hidden secret and move on :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

NSC updated

Post by Jonas »

I've uploaded a long overdue update of Eric's fantastic NSC map to our FTP, do yourself a favour and check it out:

http://tnm.offtopicproductions.com/team ... _10_06.rar

You'll need the latest texture packages, check the Packages thread for links.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Goat City + Templae updated

Post by Jonas »

Last post tonight, I promise. Hopefully you now know how much arse I've been kicking tonight ;)

Right, the point. I've uploaded new versions of all four Goat maps, that is, the City and Templae maps in M20 and M22 versions. Here you go, from all of me to all of you:

And don't forget to grab the new texture packages before you play it.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Jonas, I checked out the Downtown map. Although I only found the 2 BSP errors, they were...rather large.

Right off the bat, I hadn't even moved:

http://www.tnm.offtopicproductions.com/ ... rror01.jpg

Right by the coffee shop (Boomers?)

http://www.tnm.offtopicproductions.com/ ... rror02.jpg

I was unable to locate any BSP errors in any of the other places, though.

Also, nice Twist poster
8)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Great. Both of those are new. Haven't seen errors in either place before.

I think we need to face the fact that we'll probably have to redesign this entire map.

Give it up for the wonderful UT engine...
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

Jonas, you know we have the problem with phas' appartment building door being sealed until you talk to phas and the question of how to explain that. What if we say the door is locked for security reasons (things are pretty tense in the forums after all). There could be a button (inaccessible to the player) that the guy at reception has to press in order to unlock the door. You could talk to the guy and he would say to talk to phas. Once you've talked to phas he would say to talk to the reception guy to be let out. If you ask the reception guy to let you out prior to talkign to phas he could give some excuse about havign explicit instructions to make sure you talk to phas before leaving.

I see three problems with this:
1) It's a little strange that you're effectively imprisoned until you talk to phas however I think we can explain this away with a joke about policy.
2) If we do this then we need some way of preventing the reception guy from dying, possibly involving modifications to the map.
3) If we do this then we need to modify downtown to involve appropriate security on the outside. e.g. an intercom to get back in or something. This coincides well with the fact that you eventually get kicked out anyway if you are with WC.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

We'd also need to bring Torsten back in to record the new lines for Shawn (the receptionist), whose lines are otherwise complete...

But I'll consider your suggestion.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

OSC up

Post by Jonas »

I have uploaded new versions of all the OSC maps. After I have merged OSC03_02 with OSC03_01, there are now four maps:

http://tnm.offtopicproductions.com/team ... _12_06.rar

Here's a complete list of things that are left to do on these maps:
  • OSC01: Implement the transition from the NSC (Jonas/Trestkon/Chris)
  • OSC01: Implement the box-dropping crane in the box maze (Chris)
  • OSC02: Implement the resident evil hallway (Chris)
  • OSC02: Implement the burning storage room before server 4 (Chris & NVShacker - it needs fire spawners)
  • OSC03: Make the garage door burst when it's bloody well supposed to (Chris/Shane?)
  • OSC04: Tweak the insanetrigger? (Shane)
Apart from that, everything should be working.

Depending on what version of the TNM package you possess, you may not be able to move between the four maps, but the transitions are all in place and should be working. If you can use transitions between other mission 20 maps, then you can use the ones in the OSC.

You'll probably also be missing some important datalink messages unless you get today's update of TNMText:

http://tnm.offtopicproductions.com/team ... _v0.45.rar

And last but not least, you won't be able to open the maps at all until Shane updates TNMDeco unless you download the forklift steering wheel and compile it into your own package:

http://tnm.offtopicproductions.com/team ... gWheel.rar

Enjoy!
Last edited by Jonas on Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

HOLY CRAP!!

That level is basically a mod in itself :shock: :shock:

I played it all the way up to entering the server 6 door, when it crashed on the level transition (don't think it was TNM releated, though).

Some thoughts:

-First, the whole thing just rocks, a lot!

-I feel like the giant powerplant type room that's right near the beginning should have some actual use, it's such a nice room. Perhaps some sort of bonus could be hidden there

-The tunnel with the explosions is still catching me sometimes, I'd suggest moving the door opening trigger for the second door further down the hall, so you don't have to stand there and wait for it to open

-When you load into OSC2 you're in that little room with the light beams, I think there're causing some invisible barriers as moving around that room I seemed to be getting blocked sometimes. Do they touch the ground?

-Those giant fans rock, but they splinter into wood :)

-Again on the fans, for the first fan I seemed to have trouble actually getting into little opening behind it. I think that could be fixed by moving the fan/casing forward a bit, so there's more room between it and the fence

-That elevator trap is sweet, definitely needs some sounds to let you know what's about to fall on your head, though :D

-That weird hall that looks like it has UV lights on the walls and a mirror on the floor is sweet!! UV decontamination :)

-Piston room....wow, just wow

I'm sure there's some other things, but I really have to get back to studying. I seriously just spent an hour running through it and I didn't even finish o_0

Fantastic setup work, Jonas! And Chris, you rock 8)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Trestkon wrote:HOLY CRAP!!
Indeed 8)
-I feel like the giant powerplant type room that's right near the beginning should have some actual use, it's such a nice room. Perhaps some sort of bonus could be hidden there
I'm going to put a Defense/Drone aug in there and surround it with laser mines and tripwire bombs. Sound good?
-The tunnel with the explosions is still catching me sometimes, I'd suggest moving the door opening trigger for the second door further down the hall, so you don't have to stand there and wait for it to open
Done.
-When you load into OSC2 you're in that little room with the light beams, I think there're causing some invisible barriers as moving around that room I seemed to be getting blocked sometimes. Do they touch the ground?
Yes but they're nonsolid and not large enough to zone off the whole room, so it shouldn't matter. However, they're touching some solids, so I wouldn't be surprised if some BSP errorage is being created. I'll look into it.
-Those giant fans rock, but they splinter into wood :)
They are now no longer destructable.
-Again on the fans, for the first fan I seemed to have trouble actually getting into little opening behind it. I think that could be fixed by moving the fan/casing forward a bit, so there's more room between it and the fence
Heh, funny that you should mention it, I've already moved it forward about 64 units. I tested it with the fans spinning, and it was practically impossible to get through there without being crushed. It shouldn't be so hard now :)
-That elevator trap is sweet, definitely needs some sounds to let you know what's about to fall on your head, though :D
I just got Grub's sound effect to work with DDL's help, and it reeeally adds to the effect :D
-That weird hall that looks like it has UV lights on the walls and a mirror on the floor is sweet!! UV decontamination :)
That's the Resident Evil hallway, if you've seen that movie, you'll know what I'm talking about. Just wait 'till Chris sets it up with moving gold lasers :twisted:

Thanks for testing! :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Trestkon and I have finally managed to fix the death-by-interpolation bug in the menu map. We're not quite sure which of our solutions solved it, but I'm going to mess around with it some more tomorrow (or uh... later today, I guess) and see if I can isolate what the problem was (if nothing else, then to eliminate the superfluous solutions that are currently overlapping, heheh).

The map also has a vastly tweaked interpolation path, drastic visual improvements, and the additions of several details throughout the map. And one very very big detail, namely a whaling ship which currently contains a Hall-of-Mirrors error that we are aware of and working to fix:

http://tnm.offtopicproductions.com/team ... _01_07.rar

ENJOY!
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

quick note: Those fans, are supposed to be destroyed. Remember one pushes you away, and the other drags you towards the fan? You need to break them to stop the pull, then you can go through the grates behind them. I'll admit that's definitely my bad that there isn't enough room to comfortably crouch through the grates.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Oh, right. Thanks for reminding me.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

JonasMan! That space station rocks my world :shock:

Your mappage always contains nice little details and excellent sound/lighting, which is especially so in this case:D I really loved the green light/wall area, and your new office space. Once we plug a kickass skybox into this thing, it's going to totally blow people away.

Some crits/comments:

-That little bar outside the kitchen looks really cool, but it's almost at head level, I think it could stand to be lowered a bit

-When you open the washroom doors, they smash something...I assume it's hand dryers?

-I'm not sure I like wooden doors in a space station, it seems really...not space station-ish. I suppose this is a 'modern' space station, so maybe it's okay...let's get a third opinion on that one.