State of the project #2

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

State of the project #2

Post by DaveW »

Quick Recap
I have no real computer. I also have no money.

The Project Files
Are actually on an external hard drive that I found a few days ago and seem to be current project files.

The News
In about 9 months I will be looking for a job. I'm not looking for employment in the games industry. Therefore I feel I have to dedicate the absolute majority of my time pursuing projects in the scope of my University degree.

When I started this project in 2007 I had an abundance of free time and often spent that time working on game art. My first year of University was much the same, and was probably the most active time of the project. However, my motivation to produce game art has slowly dwindled since that time and is now practically non-existent - even for games I love as much as Deus Ex. This isn't a fact I have shied away from, though I hoped this Summer would give me a chance to tie up my loose ends and move to working on projects more relevant to my current interests.

It seems far more likely that I will wrap up this project as quickly as possible and release it partially incomplete (moreso than I ever intended) with the hope that it will still add some extra longevity to the game. It won't be perfect and will have gaps, but hopefully it will still be better than nothing. To be fair, there hasn't been a great deal of work since the last release - the 'final' release will more than likely be bug fixes from the beta release along with a few extra textures.

I never wanted to leave the project like this, but I don't think that over 3 years ago when I started this project I actually realised what a huge task this was and that my growing disinterest in game art would actually become a serious problem for the project.

I'm sorry if this lets anyone down that was expecting more from the project, but I hope that once I get some sort of release out it will be good enough for people to get some extra enjoyment from the game.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Re: State of the project #2

Post by nerdenstein »

I wouldn't worry about it Dave. What you have given us is a great improvement over the original Graphics.
Even if it is incomplete, perhaps someone would be interested in taking over from you and completing the fine work you have done? If not, I'm still happy to settle for the beta that is out atm.

Good Luck in your future projects :)
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

No worries Dave, if you compile a list of missing textures someone might pick it up later.

It's good to have some proper news out there, instead of constant vagueness. Even if it isn't too good news :)
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

I'm sad to see this project go, but I understand completely.

Good luck in your future endeavors.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

You did great, DaveW!

As EER said, the last thing you might want to do to help your own project is to have a list of incomplete textures for others to rework. Hopefully there will be someone able to complete what you started.

I guess the next step is to extract your latest WIP from the external hard drive and upload it somewhere safe.

Best of luck to you!
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Its understandable. As with what EER said, if you can get a list setup that'd be great. I really hope everything turns out ok for you Dave.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Thanks for what you've done so far Dave. Hopefully we might see some of your future work on the UK channel ( cable-television) here. :)
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
xystus
Mole Person

Post by xystus »

Thanks for your work and good luck to ya in the future.

I just hope the final update will still hold some nice suprises [-o<
drkstrm
Mole Person

Post by drkstrm »

I definetly know where you're coming from when it comes to getting a university degree and still following through with hobby projects ;-)

Would you consider releasing your work up until now under a creative commons license (i.e. this one: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/) so other people may continue where you left off?

That would be very very cool.

Regards,
Storm
Newbez
Thug

Post by Newbez »

Better than nothing as they always say, what you have given to us is something not many people would do; and for that, we thank you :-) I think you should get this released though soon since I too would like to see what tiny changes there will be since the last release, and you should consider handing down this project too, tbh 3 years isn't that long of a time compared to some other mod developers so it's very good :-)
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

What is left to finish? Maybe someone else could take up finishing it, I possibly could I have some free time or will have once I finish my website and a cople of other things I have to do which should not take more than a few weeks.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus