Chinese writing

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

Should be bother being accurate?

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 28
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Thats something my uni lecturers would say.. fucking idiots :D good work.
Akerfeldt
UNATCO

Post by Akerfeldt »

justanotherfan wrote:I'm good at translations. You can tell by the shape of the characters; it tells a story. I'll do a character-by-character translation:

This is chapter three. There is a giant lizard with antlers, or a well-endowed moose. There is a house tilted with a flag on the roof. The lizard kicks the house. The lizard then punches the house. His fist goes through the house as it collapses. Then all is dark.

Hope that helps.
lol, man I don't know what you smoked to come up with that but you need to share
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Akerfeldt wrote:
justanotherfan wrote:I'm good at translations. You can tell by the shape of the characters; it tells a story. I'll do a character-by-character translation:

This is chapter three. There is a giant lizard with antlers, or a well-endowed moose. There is a house tilted with a flag on the roof. The lizard kicks the house. The lizard then punches the house. His fist goes through the house as it collapses. Then all is dark.

Hope that helps.
lol, man I don't know what you smoked to come up with that but you need to share
I've heard that chinese really is based on that kind of imagery. And I can see the lizard kicking down the house in the characters, but I don't know if it is really about lizards though :)
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

EER wrote:I've heard that chinese really is based on that kind of imagery. And I can see the lizard kicking down the house in the characters, but I don't know if it is really about lizards though :)
Correct: The flag of the sun over the angled house grapheme indicates the well-endowed moose inflection.

I Am Not An Orthographist (IANAO), of course.
kothar
Thug

Post by kothar »

unless you have already found a way... here is my opinion... it is pointless to have it to be accurate, obviously no one here knows Chinese and after the mod is released you can make it a side project if you have your heart set out to be accurate
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Indeed, I've done a lot of that package (not uploaded it yet though) just doing what I did before. Anyone that's Chinese will just see "ASGFJA" written all over the place.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Some how a Japanese speaking person decrypted my Neuromancer logo. Btw I used the altavista translator to make that. So yeah you should be able to use that, I mean it does translate Chinese.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I've been using a dictionary so far. However, most of the time there's nothing to translate. It's just random symbols.

For example, that firearms sign. Babel Fish turns up 4 symbols for "no firearms". The texture has 6, and according to my friend they're relevant to no weapons. So I don't know what it's supposed to be.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Incredible, the divides in the internet. Bloody language barriers. Do we know no one that could translate "No guns" into chinese symbols? If I translate it, you'll have an X over a funny-looking cannon and a lizard with a tommygun.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Even though that translation would probably not be accurate, I would still like to see it ;)
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Too late now anyway, most of them are done and they're all rasterised (because they all have funky designs that need multiple levels of layer effects on them).
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

That's why you should be making backups using the Layer Comps Snipa. :P or unless you can pull off having over 100 layers of backup folders :D.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

It's not as if it matters. Even a chinese person couldn't read the originals, so what am I supposed to translate?
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

If it looks good, who cares :D
odawali
UNATCO

Post by odawali »

Sorry this may be too late but you can actually add Chinese input to windows, and use the mouse cursor to draw letters then select the right one from the list of candidates. I don't know any Chinese outside of Nihao but came up with this that way:

The following link should give you an idea of how this process works (though this page is for Japanese instead of Chinese it's basically the same):
http://www.wfu.edu/~yipcw/atg/ime/boxed-input.html

Just Google "ime pad handwriting chinese" for details or ask me if you get stuck.

Helpful guide but you don't need to do this all the way: http://www.geocities.com/kilian0072002/ ... ting2.html