Programmer/person needed

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Programmer/person needed

Post by DaveW »

Hi all,

Sad to say in my absence there hasn't been any progress. As my netbook, which barely works, isn't anywhere close to being able to run Photoshop properly (or, for that matter - connect to the internet) - I haven't been able to do anything with the source material I have. However, my University has now finished for the year but will remain 'open' for the next 2-3 weeks, during which it will be empty. While the computers there are Macs (eugh) I've arranged with the media department to use them during the standard University opening times.

I am hoping that after this the project can wrap up, but I would like this release to be a bit more organised than the last. In particular the manual install caused problems with some people and for those who play multiplayer, the workaround is awkward. So I would like someone to help me make an installer that installs the textures and a small utility that will automatically swap Deus Ex to use, ignore, or uninstall the new textures. This should be possible to do using a workaround DDL (IIRC) posted a while back. This will basically be a small dialog-box program that will let multiplayer users switch between singleplayer and multiplayer, and not have any issues. Plus the uninstall will make it easier for people to get rid of New Vision, should they want to. The installer will also need to optionally install one of the new renderers and default the game to run on it, as well as adding the necessary .INI lines for S3TC textures to work.

If anyone is interested please e-mail me through the e-mail button below (and provide me an e-mail address to reply to). This is probably the easiest way to contact me as I can get to e-mails on my phone.
BoggyP
NSF

Re: Programmer/person needed

Post by BoggyP »

I would help if I had any skills :p.

Thanks for all the effort though, very appreciated.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Same with me I'm afraid.

I think Trestkon was good at NSIS installers. Otherwise I'm fine with manual install.

Thanks for the update Dave. Netbooks are great, but I wouldn't want to need one for day to day work, let alone Photoshop.
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

If you can't get anyone more suitable to do it, I could probably manage to whip up a basic utility to do the needed modifications to the .ini files. I'm not that familiar with the way Deus Ex handles things, though, so I'd probably need specific instructions on what exactly the program should all change.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Nameless Voice wrote:If you can't get anyone more suitable to do it, I could probably manage to whip up a basic utility to do the needed modifications to the .ini files. I'm not that familiar with the way Deus Ex handles things, though, so I'd probably need specific instructions on what exactly the program should all change.
That's certainly better than nothing. I'm sure DDL can help with the specifics, I have no idea what to change either.
OCELOT525
Mole Person

Post by OCELOT525 »

DELETED
Last edited by OCELOT525 on Thu May 25, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

The problem with .NET / Windows Forms applications is that they need the whole .NET Framework installed and so on (not default in XP and older).

Might be better to write the GUI in the old-and-awkward MFC or something else which doesn't need as many large dependencies.
~DJ~
UNATCO

Post by ~DJ~ »

Nice, thanks for doing/thinking about it Dave. :D

Good luck on it though.. I, myself have no experience on what you just wrote :(
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

If possible I'd like to stay away from .NET because of the dependencies thing.
OCELOT525
Mole Person

Post by OCELOT525 »

DELETED
Last edited by OCELOT525 on Thu May 25, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

Java's a bit awkward too, since you can't easily make .exes from Java, and have to rely on people having the JDE properly installed and set up to run .jar files.

(Correct me if I'm wrong.)
Last edited by Nameless Voice on Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I'd be willing to check it out. I'll hit you up later.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
omer666
Mole Person

Post by omer666 »

Hi there !
I'm glad to see that Dave is back on track, and I hope to see a New Vision release pretty soon !
I'm sorry but I can't code.
ShadowDog
Mole Person

Post by ShadowDog »

Java isn't as bad as the .NET framework. On my old XP (it would be 9 years old if it didn't magically burn out a year ago) I could use any Java application, but .NET didn't work at all no matter what. Of course, with my new Windows 7 computer, they both work like a charm.
Nate53085
Mole Person

Post by Nate53085 »

I have been playing this game at least once a year for years, and would love to give back to a project that freshens it up a bit. I'm no artist, but am a Software Engineer by trade, so can definately help in this space. BUT, I just stumbled across this project, so bear with me in my ignorance:

Am I correct that the installation is simply deploying a folder w/the textures to the Deus Ex folder and then change a location in an ini file to point to the new folder?

People were talking about Java and .Net, is there any reason you are shying away from a traditional Windows installer?

Lets hash out the requirements and I'm sure I get can this done.