Programmer/person needed

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

nerdenstein
Illuminati

Re: Programmer/person needed

Post by nerdenstein »

Nate53085 wrote:I have been playing this game at least once a year for years, and would love to give back to a project that freshens it up a bit. I'm no artist, but am a Software Engineer by trade, so can definately help in this space. BUT, I just stumbled across this project, so bear with me in my ignorance:

Am I correct that the installation is simply deploying a folder w/the textures to the Deus Ex folder and then change a location in an ini file to point to the new folder?

People were talking about Java and .Net, is there any reason you are shying away from a traditional Windows installer?

Lets hash out the requirements and I'm sure I get can this done.
I believe you are correct.

[Core.System]
PurgeCacheDays=30
SavePath=..\Save
CachePath=..\Cache
CacheExt=.uxx
Paths=..\System\*.u
Paths=..\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\NewVision\*.utx
Paths=..\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\Sounds\*.uax
Paths=..\Music\*.umx

If the textures were placed into a folder in the (For example) C:\DeusEx\NewVision folder and that path I have added into the list above in Bold were added to the .ini, it should work.
I haven't downloaded the New Vision textures onto my new computer yet as my download speeds are dreadful so I can't test it.
But I think the new path must be added above the 'Textures' folder in the list so it looks in the 'New Vision' folder first and any textures in can't find in there, it will check for them in the 'Textures' folder.
Also, if it is done in this way, multiplayer should still work because the original textures are there, so no mismatches.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Nate53085
Mole Person

Post by Nate53085 »

Cool. I'm downloading the textures now.

I haven't been able to find my copy of the game yet, so I may need some people to help test the installer.

-- EDIT --

Found it, and installing and patching with the latest official patch as we speak.

-- EDIT 2 --

Investigating what flexibility a traditional MSI installer would do. Note that this would be Windows only, and would NOT cover the mac version.

Besides deployment of the files and addition to the ini, are there any other requirements people are looking for? For example, and EULA would probably be a good idea.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

Nate53085,

thanks for taking this into your hands! With DaveW being so erratic with its presence here, I believe your work could really become a life preserver for this project! I also believe that the very big majority of Deus Ex players use Windows so it's okay to build an installer that works only for it (I guess Linux users could make it work through Wine?).

Best would be to have DaveW send you those textures completed/corrected after the Beta release though. I hope he'll get here soon enough.