New Stuff

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Re: New Stuff

Post by DaveW »

Thanks for the comments guys. They look much better in motion - I might have something 'in motion' to show off sometime soon so maybe I'll take a video of them then.

Meanwhile, here's a texture that's been the bane of my texture-making-existence for the past few years. I've avoided doing it for too long so I've been working on it for the past few hours:
(The source image)
(The texture)
(And, ingame)

Now I'm off to play with some effects textures and see what I can come up with.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I'm impressed. I can see how tiling that shit would be hell. Very nice result, man.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
BoggyP
NSF

Post by BoggyP »

amazing work! Thank You =D>
~DJ~
UNATCO

Post by ~DJ~ »

Amazing.. impressed. :oops:
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Wow, very nice. Not sure if you're looking for constructive criticism, but I've got nothing.

The lights do look good, very HDR. I like the cool light as well, very futuristic LED. The new cobblestone fits well with the DX atmosphere.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

justanotherfan wrote:Wow, very nice. Not sure if you're looking for constructive criticism, but I've got nothing.
I post mostly so people know the project's still alive (sort of the opposite of what HDTP does - despite HDTP being alive behind the scenes), but comments & criticism are welcome on anything I post.

I'm going through the Paris package now doing some textures that got left the last time I went though:

Edit:
This texture (and, in general, the outer buildings in the Paris Metro) is never going to look very good, no matter what I do with it.

Unfortunately the lit window texture just isn't aligned properly. This seems to be the best compromise.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Cool, I just feel dopey posting "Wow!"

Don't spend too much time on window tiles. DX's ignored "large tower buildings" are fairly unique, or is it surreal, or just lacking in detail. Maybe DXRevision or something similar will make the buildings not flat, but it's the materials and floors and walls making NV screenshots realistic.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

For the problem of the lit windows, I was wondering if it might be feasible to just make them all unlit?
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

justanotherfan wrote:Cool, I just feel dopey posting "Wow!"

Don't spend too much time on window tiles. DX's ignored "large tower buildings" are fairly unique, or is it surreal, or just lacking in detail. Maybe DXRevision or something similar will make the buildings not flat, but it's the materials and floors and walls making NV screenshots realistic.
I've been thinking that it might be cool if a mapper (there seems to be plenty still around) altered the levels in DX to make them more suitable for New Vision. Not under the remit of Revision, which is about expanding the maps - but I mean fixing the horrible skyscrapers in New York, Hong Kong etc. - adding a few ledges and breaking up the textures and the like. And fixing mis-used textures (such as the book-ends that are used as lights in the 'Ton hotel). And generally fixing mis-aligned textures that show up very, very obviously with the high resolution textures.

If anyone would be interested in that I'd be happy to work with you on it.

Also Salk, unfortunately not. At least, not without altering the levels - the plane which the lit texture is applied to is set to fullbright/self-illuminated so it doesn't respond to light.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

DaveW wrote:I've been thinking that it might be cool if a mapper (there seems to be plenty still around) altered the levels in DX to make them more suitable for New Vision.
That sounds just like right!

It'd be the only way to fulfill the whole potential of NV. I hope somebody here can take up the challenge and help. By the way, no decision yet about the installer? Nate53085 seemed to have been working on a .msi installer and others had volunteered as well suggesting a .net or java alternative. I think all of these might do the job well, despite their different limitations.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Salk wrote:
DaveW wrote:I've been thinking that it might be cool if a mapper (there seems to be plenty still around) altered the levels in DX to make them more suitable for New Vision.
That sounds just like right!

It'd be the only way to fulfill the whole potential of NV. I hope somebody here can take up the challenge and help. By the way, no decision yet about the installer? Nate53085 seemed to have been working on a .msi installer and others had volunteered as well suggesting a .net or java alternative. I think all of these might do the job well, despite their different limitations.
I spoke to Nate a couple of weeks ago, as far as I know he's still working on an .MSI installer which seems suitable for most people. Maybe there'll be a way to bundle the manual/automated install within the same download which would make it easier for most people.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I feel I understate my excitement at this project by simply saying 'Wow!'

I have often wondered whether New Vision, HDTP and Revision could team up for the full benefit of each others work.

Trasher sometimes posts on these forums and I know he is optimising his maps to work better with New Vision (And HDTP) so we shall see. In most of the images on the Revision Moddb page, they are using both HDTP and New Vision so I was just hazarding a guess.

For those not wanting to use Revision, I guess a 'Revision Light' project is in order.
Perhaps if a list were generated for each map and the changes need for each map were listed, I'm sure someone would happily take this project on. (If they were simple enough changes, I would take part of such a project on! Texture altering is simple enough. :P)
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Yeah, the full Revision will probably make better use of New Vision textures - but I don't think everyone will always want to play the modified maps. I'm thinking the exact same gameplay for the maps, just ones that look slightly better. I could probably do texture alignments but some issues like fixing the size of the lit windows, breaking up the tiling buildings etc. requires more skill than I care to have in UnrealEd. If it were Hammer, I'd be fine - but I've never understood or liked UnrealEd.

Also, I'm working with HDTP at the moment and have done in the past - so we're already collaborating a fair bit. At the moment I'm making some high resolution decals for the game, hopefully to replace the low resolution blood splats, bullet holes, blast marks etc. because they really stand out against the high resolution game textures now. But it will take DDL a while to get them ingame, I imagine - but the textures themselves are looking quite good (although they are mostly modified stock images).

Meanwhile I've put something I made ages ago in After Effects ingame, I might take the time to do this to more of the animated textures because it looks better. Basically, instead of 8 frames of animation it's now 60 playing at 22fps. This makes the files reasonably big, unfortunately, because for each animation it's basically 60 more full-size textures. But for most animated textures like text scrolling I could easily use 20 frames instead, and they'd be at lower resolution.

Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5mRFjF9auM
First section is the original New Vision texture (bear in mind I never animated it properly so it didn't loop right), and afterwards the new version.

Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

It's really amazing stuff you are showing us DaveW!

Thank you very much! I feel we are living through a golden era in these latest days with your and Akerfeldt's comeback.

Now I just need to find those chains... :D
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Jesus, how do you make these textures?!

I'm playing around with the Unity Engine and that doesn't include any usable textures so I'm a little stuck at the moment. :P
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.