New Stuff

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Re: New Stuff

Post by DaveW »

That's just the animations. When compressed it's about 300-400 additional mb of textures. Still quite a lot left to do, though.
shinobi87
Thug

Post by shinobi87 »

Still going to do some normal maps and the dds files??

Masked textures don't work using dds btw.

Estimate how long till its done??
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I'll do the normal maps if I have the time, which I'm not sure I will but I'll give it a go.

I can't say I've tried doing masked textures yet, so it's likely they won't be included in the MP version if what you're saying is correct.

Not sure on an ETA, it depends how busy I am with other work. Right now I'm mostly done with animated textures so over the next few days I'll pull everything together and see if there's any major textures that need doing, and if not I'll start packing it.

Edit: Alpha textures work, but unfortunately they don't seem to give any benefit over masked textures (i.e. a pixel is either hidden or showing). I saved to DDS through the Nvidia Photoshop plugin, DXT5 with Alpha Map (interpolation).

Edit 2: Finally got around to doing the NYC Bar wall texture, still need to fix the tiling issues with the floor though:
ber82
Mole Person

Post by ber82 »

=D>
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Also trying to get the ground texture here to look a bit more interesting. Very hard to do when it's tiled about 50 times over a flat surface but right now it ends up looking flat ingame, when the texture itself actually has quite a lot of depth to it:
:(
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Looks fantastic. Next time you're screenshotting, try an office or something with a lot of closeup junk, contrasting the original DX look with your highly detailed world.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Funny you should mention that actually, I'm intending on doing some before/after shots for the final media release. I already tried to do it with some pictures of Hong Kong but I'm going to need to set up scenes in UnrealEd to do it properly.

Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

Really impressive, DaveW!

Can't even start thinking how much work you had to put into this to reach such a result.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

A ridiculous amount of time. Over 100 hours in total, probably, assuming I spend about 4 minutes per texture (which is probably about average for some, though some take up to an hour).

I'm currently going through the game with the textures fully compiled and trying to spot any errors and major textures I've missed. but the ridiculously bad texture alignments are starting to annoy me a bit. For example, I just spent about 40 minutes (I had to use a 3d model base) on this one wood panel in NewYorkCity:
Turned out quite well. Here's how it's aligned ingame:
And then there's this (brightened shot):
Argh.
Trasher
UNATCO

Post by Trasher »

O my god those textures look FUCKEN AWESOME! Very amazing work!

Keep it up! :)
Massaca
NSF

Post by Massaca »

I don't know if you're sick of hearing this yet but the result of all your incredible effort is just spectacular :shock: . Major props for sticking with it =D> =D> =D>

There is just one thing though, about the Chinese text that you redid, do you know what they said before and what you replaced them with? Not that it would really make a difference to most people but I'm just curious.

Really hope you get the alignment right without too much trouble and that the rest all goes well for you.
In a world without rules, danmaku is nonsense. ~ Marisa Kirisame
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

I'd bet a good amount of those 100 hours have gone to aligning textures... :so:

We users are nothing short of amazed by the quality of your work but you only can say if the final result is worth all the time you have put into it.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Massaca wrote:There is just one thing though, about the Chinese text that you redid, do you know what they said before and what you replaced them with? Not that it would really make a difference to most people but I'm just curious.

Really hope you get the alignment right without too much trouble and that the rest all goes well for you.
When I did the original sign textures I did make an attempt at matching the symbols - but I couldn't, and it wouldn't really show anyway. But apart from the no weapons poster in Hong Kong which does apparantly say something like "No Firearms", I don't know what any of them meant. But a lot of them were clearly photo-referenced so they were probably real adverts.

Now that the signs are all photo-based the text will make absolutely no sense. Before, I just put random words in, and I'd guess being me I would've just put naughty words through an online dictionary. But I've stopped making such an effort to match textures exactly, unless it would create texture alignment errors. Which, speaking of - are an issue for the New Vision map pack thing to address, since it needs someone to go into the map and play around with the crazy texture alignments. I had a play with Hong Kong and it was surprisingly simple to do, even though I accidentally rebuilt the BSP and make a giant hole in one of the maps.

But I do appreciate all the comments, it makes it worth it to know other people will enjoy the mod.
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

Anyone who actually speaks Chinese care to comment on the signs?
Renmazuo
Thug

Post by Renmazuo »

Nameless Voice wrote:Anyone who actually speaks Chinese care to comment on the signs?
In lieu of finding any native speakers in the DX fanbase we could always try ordering Chinese takeout for a week and ask them to translate a couple signs every time. Let's see, by my calculations, at a rate of two translated signs per order of chow mein, the value of this proposition can only be described as... delicious.

Clearly my idea is the best.