New Stuff

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Re: New Stuff

Post by DaveW »

Unfortunately all the chinese take aways near me are a bit rubbish. I used to live almost next door to an amazingly cheap take-away that made awesome mushroom chow mein (I'm vegetarian). The local ones just don't compare :(

I was playing around with the New York package adding some extra dirt to the textures and I accidentally made the crazy tiling skyscrapers look a bit better by enhancing one of the ledges:

Massaca
NSF

Post by Massaca »

DaveW wrote:
Massaca wrote:There is just one thing though, about the Chinese text that you redid, do you know what they said before and what you replaced them with? Not that it would really make a difference to most people but I'm just curious.

Really hope you get the alignment right without too much trouble and that the rest all goes well for you.
When I did the original sign textures I did make an attempt at matching the symbols - but I couldn't, and it wouldn't really show anyway. But apart from the no weapons poster in Hong Kong which does apparantly say something like "No Firearms", I don't know what any of them meant. But a lot of them were clearly photo-referenced so they were probably real adverts.

Now that the signs are all photo-based the text will make absolutely no sense. Before, I just put random words in, and I'd guess being me I would've just put naughty words through an online dictionary. But I've stopped making such an effort to match textures exactly, unless it would create texture alignment errors. Which, speaking of - are an issue for the New Vision map pack thing to address, since it needs someone to go into the map and play around with the crazy texture alignments. I had a play with Hong Kong and it was surprisingly simple to do, even though I accidentally rebuilt the BSP and make a giant hole in one of the maps.

But I do appreciate all the comments, it makes it worth it to know other people will enjoy the mod.
Personally I would have voted no in that poll as it's not something that is necessary, nice that you tried though. It's great when accidents yield such results. They look great.
In a world without rules, danmaku is nonsense. ~ Marisa Kirisame
Kaiza Killa
Thug

Post by Kaiza Killa »

My goodness, these textures look incredible.

Just a question, it is my understanding that the New Vision mod is available on Mod DB but that it isn't the final product. If I were to download it, would every new addition that you add to the project necessitate me having to download each addition individually? Or would I simply be able to do download one final download at the end of it all that overwrites the original incomplete mod?

Pardon my questions regarding this, I am just quite green in these matters.
Renmazuo
Thug

Post by Renmazuo »

DaveW wrote:Unfortunately all the chinese take aways near me are a bit rubbish. I used to live almost next door to an amazingly cheap take-away that made awesome mushroom chow mein (I'm vegetarian). The local ones just don't compare :(
Veg here too! -fistbump- Shame we don't get superpowers like the vegans in Scott Pilgrim.

Considering how veg-unfriendly most chain restaurants are having a decent Chinese place nearby tends to be like a shining oasis for the meat-disinclined. Yay Buddhism!

Back on topic, mod looks nice too. =D> Thanks for putting in all the extra man hours to make it a quality release. Screenshots are just lovely.

As for the signs, if the new ones end up saying things like Donkey Punch Ass Master or Lucky Golden Shower, WELL, that's just the price to be paid for excellence. 99% of the playerbase won't know or care anyway. Besides, for all we know the signs already say things like that. There is a VersaLife employee named M. Bates after all.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

:lol:

After playing DX again very recently, I gotta say those lights are outstanding. It's really chalk and cheese.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Kaiza Killa wrote:Just a question, it is my understanding that the New Vision mod is available on Mod DB but that it isn't the final product. If I were to download it, would every new addition that you add to the project necessitate me having to download each addition individually? Or would I simply be able to do download one final download at the end of it all that overwrites the original incomplete mod?
Yes, the current release contains all the texture packages but only some of the textures in them are replaced. The new download will be all the texture packages again - so they'll overwrite the old ones, but this time contain more textures.
Renmazuo wrote:Considering how veg-unfriendly most chain restaurants are having a decent Chinese place nearby tends to be like a shining oasis for the meat-disinclined.
Living in the UK has one advantage that all restaurants are (I think) legally obliged to provide some vegetarian food. Of course some of the crap ones will just say "The rice is vegetarian" and leave it at that, but most have decent vegetarian alternatives which is nice.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Oh wow, I forgot about the Chinese well-endowed moose inflection, and house attacking lizards in chapter 3.

Like rebuilding the maps, accuracy in transcription/translation is ideal, but not worth delays. The chinesefood restaurant is a great idea though, "By the way, does this printout say anything?"
Kaiza Killa
Thug

Post by Kaiza Killa »

DaveW wrote:Yes, the current release contains all the texture packages but only some of the textures in them are replaced. The new download will be all the texture packages again - so they'll overwrite the old ones, but this time contain more textures.
Thank you Dave. I will download the new textures tonight. I wish there was more I could say to compliment you on your work as, from what I have seen, these textures are truly amazing. The Unified Texture Pack enhanced my experience of Deus Ex: Invisible War a great deal and I'm sure this mod will provide a similar, if not greater, experience, especially given which game it applies to.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

justanotherfan wrote:Like rebuilding the maps, accuracy in transcription/translation is ideal, but not worth delays. The chinesefood restaurant is a great idea though, "By the way, does this printout say anything?"
My "home" Chinese restaurant actually has some chinese symbols on their placemats. When I was little I once asked the owner 'what does it mean?'. She didn't know. *desillusioned*.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I don't remember DX's lights being white. Looking at original screenshots, they're all yellow. I'm so used to Daylight (or "Cool White") bulbs now that it looks stupid. It looks 1970's. Thanks for correcting the colour temperature and generally improving the lights.

The ledge is a big improvement. From a distance, DX's tiny tiles warp perspective in my eyes, and I can't tell what they represent. I wish I had a a game-development article I read a decade ago, complaining about contemporary 3D issues; it described exactly how 2.5D tricks break down, making up down and depth flat. Games would get trippy in the 3D 90's while I tried to keep my character from dying, but those big windows with the obvious ledge are unmistakable. DX's skyscraper textures look like tin ceiling tiles.

---

I'm shocked at how ethnoculturally bland we all are. I have some acquaintances that can read Chinese. If I had an image I could print including specific questioned images, I'm sure I could have an awkward conversation to decypher them.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I'd like to get some more variety in them for the map pack, maybe make some variations of the windows so some could be slightly lit (although not the awful fullbright windows you get in Hong Kong or Paris, which themselves need fixing), or have floors with different window types etc. - something to break it up.

Also I'd probably make some extra textures for skyscrapers and suggest making the non-playable area filled with buildings much bigger and add more 3d buildings, rather than the massive skyscrapers in the background (which also need to be scaled down considerably). For example, spot where the skybox starts:

Edit:

Some new stuff in the 'Rocket' package, which covers a lot of stuff from Vandenburg to Area51. I mostly missed this package the first time round.
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

Wow awesome work. I look forward to seeing how everything comes together. Is the skybox going to be recreated or are you just going to use the remapping project to add skyscrapers to fill in space between the map and skybox?
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

It's really great stuff!

Are we close to wrapping up a new New Vision package, DaveW? [-o<
LTNObvious
Thug

Post by LTNObvious »

Those textures are beautiful =D>

Can't wait to play it!
~Rob "LTNObvious" L.
Albert
Mole Person

Post by Albert »

Seconded. I was able to get Deus Ex playing in wine on linux the other day, and today I succesfully got the current new vision pack to install. Still looking good, but this stuff rocks even more.