Map Requests

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

ggrotz
X-51

Re: Map Requests

Post by ggrotz »

m3rc1l3ss wrote:
flib wrote:Actually, it's because the maps in the GOTY/v1.112f are older than the ones in v1.110.
http://www.dxm.be/navigator.php5?lang=en&content=202
That is an embarrassing mistake on their part. Definitely something to remember for the map project though...
I'm doing my first playthrough with the "old maps". I'm noticing several differences and changes in the "old maps" which could be construed as "bugs" (most notably Paul in the escape, but a couple of spots I couldn't get to that I could in the "new maps" before). If the "old maps" are used to replace the GOTY maps, it might be wise to try and find a changelog in reference to what is in 1.112fm compared to 1.110 and see if there isn't something major that got "fixed" in 1.112fm using the older dated maps. Don't want to reintroduce anything that they saw as a problem which was fixed in those maps.
flib
Thug

Post by flib »

ggrotz wrote:
m3rc1l3ss wrote:
flib wrote:Actually, it's because the maps in the GOTY/v1.112f are older than the ones in v1.110.
http://www.dxm.be/navigator.php5?lang=en&content=202
That is an embarrassing mistake on their part. Definitely something to remember for the map project though...
I'm doing my first playthrough with the "old maps". I'm noticing several differences and changes in the "old maps" which could be construed as "bugs" (most notably Paul in the escape, but a couple of spots I couldn't get to that I could in the "new maps" before). If the "old maps" are used to replace the GOTY maps, it might be wise to try and find a changelog in reference to what is in 1.112fm compared to 1.110 and see if there isn't something major that got "fixed" in 1.112fm using the older dated maps. Don't want to reintroduce anything that they saw as a problem which was fixed in those maps.
Good point. I've searched briefly for 1.112fm changelog and found this: http://www.gamershell.com/news_919.html
No mention of the maps. Looks to me like they just packaged the wrong maps with this patch for whatever reason.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

flib wrote: Good point. I've searched briefly for 1.112fm changelog and found this: http://www.gamershell.com/news_919.html
No mention of the maps. Looks to me like they just packaged the wrong maps with this patch for whatever reason.
Also no mention of any single-player game issues, which makes me think the only concern was the multi-player part. One would probably have to look at the change log for 1.112f to find out anything.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

No mention of maps in 1.009f fixlog either...
All I noticed so far was a blackened window"screen" (not sure what it's called) in Paul's Appartment first visit to the Kitchen.

The "old maps" brought back items I remember from the Demo, like the baton on Liberty Island on the docks...
Deus Ex Patch Fixes
March 16, 2001
Version 1.1

In version 1.112fm:

Bugs:

Blocked some cheats related to overriding the local console or root window.
Doors opened by buttons in multiplayer work properly now.
Opening a door in multiplayer automatically unlocks it, whether opened by button or by lockpicking.
Fixed some potential problems with locked double doors in multiplayer.
Disabling screenflashes no longer has an effect on multiplayer. Multiplayer always has screenflashes on.
The server information window in the join game screen now indicates whether or not a server is password protected.
Mousewheel support for remote clients has been fixed to be consistent with mousewheel use for the singleplayer game.
If a server is listed as full on the join game screen, you cannot join it. If you refresh the list and the server is no longer listed as full, you can then join.
The viewplayer command no longer works in multiplayer games. Mod makers can change this by overriding the CanSpectate function.
Looting corpses while carrying no weapons no longer gives you increased ammo counts.
The flamethrower was generating log warning messages under certain circumstances. Those have been fixed.
Dropping a weapon and then picking it up caused its ammo count to get messed up, causing problems when you tried to restock it with an ammo crate. This has been fixed.
LAMs become disabled when the person who placed them leaves the game.
You can no longer lean on other players to kill them.
Leaning occasionally caused people to rotate wierdly. This has been fixed.
Under certain circumstances, the vision augmentation could be broken until you died and respawned. This has been fixed.

Bugs:

All locked doors in multiplayer should close properly now and will not get stuck open.
Keypads and locked doors lock after 28 seconds instead of 30 seconds. This prevents people from looting the same cabinet twice for one pick attempt.
Singleplayer energy shield was only blocking 70% damage at max level instead of the 80% of the original singleplayer game. It has been put back to 80%.
If you hit the buy skills key in a singleplayer game, the belt will no longer dim.
Grenade placement animation works correctly now.
Grenades can no longer be placed on selectable objects (computers, weapons on the weapon rack). This includes doors. This prevents players from hiding grenades behind computers, GEP guns, etc.
At very low framerates(for the server or singleplayer), lockpicking and multitooling took longer than they should. This has been fixed.
Pings now sort correctly on the join game screen.
In multiplayer, when coming out of water, clients occasionally did not get their eye heights adjusted properly, and would appear (to themselves) to be crouched. This has been fixed.
Elevator buttons should stay in better sync now.
Next item/ Previous item commands (by default bound to the mousewheel) should work better in multiplayer.
The inventory screen can no longer be activated at the end of a match.
The player death sequence should no longer occasionally freeze in singleplayer.
The multiplayer scoreboard only highlights your player in gold, even if other players have the same name.
You can no longer exploit the regeneration augmentation by toggling it on and off very quickly (resulting in almost instant healing for almost no cost).
Fixed a situation in which cloaked people were occasionally slightly visible just after coming into the room or around a corner.
Fixed a bug in multiplayer in which you could turn 2 biocells, lockpicks, medkits, grenades, or multitools into a lot by clicking very quickly.
Fixed a bug in singleplayer in which corpses occasionally became placeholder boxes (garish boxes bearing the legend "Do not place").
Fixed a bug in which firing a rapid-fire weapon immediately after drawing it could get the weapon stuck in a bad state.
Repair bots should no longer be accessible through closed repairbot bay doors in multiplayer.
The listen client player will not bleed from the previous deathblow after respawn.
In a DeathMatchGame, if there is a winning tie at all, the match will be called a draw.
A certain class of cheats was available by using alternate root windows. The standard deathmatch and team deathmatch games now kick players who are using a different root window, and support has been added for mod teams to insist on their own windows.
Text files can now be read in from packages other than deusextext.u. This affects class Computers (emails/bulletins) and class InformationDevices(datacubes, books, etc). A new property "TextPackage" specifies the package from which the text comes.

Balancing/Features:

Targeting augmentation now displays hit location at which you are aiming (head/torso/leg).
Throwing knife does 17 base damage instead of 25.
Plasma does 8 base damage instead of 12.
Energy shield blocks 50% of damage instead of 80%. Drains 25 energy per minute instead of 40.
You can now chat while dead, while at the end of a match, or while logged into a computer.
Checkboxes on the join game screen are now slightly more user friendly. Turning off one of team/non-team also turns off the "show-all" checkbox.
A GEP gun no longer maintains its lock while reloading. You must get a fresh lock for every shot.
Leg damage no longer slows you down (unless you completely lose them)
In team games, you should be less likely to spawn into battles between teammates and enemies.
Added functionality so that administrators can more easily kick the players that they intend to kick. (See MP Administration doc)

Spoliers:

If you receive a datalink while logged into a computer, the datalink now plays properly when you exit the computer. This was most noticeable when sending the transmission to the NSF after Paul asks you to do so.

Changes for the Mod Community:

Singleplayer mods are now able to use classes other than JCDenton for the player character. Override the ApproveClass function in DeusEx.DeusExGameInfo.
Multiplayer mods can now add new gametypes in configs, as well as new classes and teams. To add new teams, you will need to override the ApproveTeam function in DeusEx.TeamDMGame. New classes and teams will also require new portraits.
It is now easier to have new gametypes in packages other than DeusEx.u.
Note how the change date doesn't match either mappacks...

EDIT: Patch1 log too. Date still newer than either of the maps.
Deus Ex Patch 1 Readme File
November 9, 2000
Version 1.0

Patch Overview
Crashes on Save/Load
D3D Slowdown Issues

Patch Overview
Changes made for version 1.009f:

Crash fixed when using Hazmat Suit in training.
F1 and F2 can no longer be unmapped.
You will no longer occasionally get placeholder art when picking up bodies.
Infinite Skill Point bug fixed with Gary Savage conversation.
D3DDrv.dll patch has been incorporated.
Loki's new OpenGL code has been incorporated.
Game will now run correctly under Win95a.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Fixed the BSP in the Helibase.
As for the additions to that map, I was thinking:
-Upon entering the map, the second helipad lifts up and a chopper takes off from there as a nice little feature. Just because I thought it looks cool. I add it in and post a download link too see what you guys think. It can easily be removed again.
- Added a squad of MJ12 Troop that swarm the helipad shortly upon entering the map. Problem is that the MJ12 troops on the bottom deck hear the gunfire and all run up to investigate removing all chance of stealth down there. Unless of course you manage to slip into the vent below the player. I also think it needs to be more obvious that a group of troops are coming so maybe instead of having them come from the stairwell, we have them run from the other side of the hanger. That still gives the player chance to slip into the grating and escape. I'd also suggest adding alarms and such but that would again effect the troops on the bottom deck and I want them to stay where they are. :x
I'll add them and post it for discussion.

EDIT: Jesus, 'Ton Hotal Wallpaper Textures on the second floor are totally screwed up. The problem is, they look fine in the editor but are messed up ingame... <_<
EDIT2: Sorta Fixed. The textures are aligned but without Skirting Boards. The issue is that the wallpaper that isn't damaged is half the size of the texture that is damaged.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/71 ... ditor.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27 ... ngame.png/
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

http://www.mediafire.com/?952odonf6vq5a94
Download link for the updated 'Ton. The wallpaper alignment is still a bit off (I got pissed off with it. <_< )
Also, the third floor addition isn't as great as I would have liked. People are quite happy to modify or fix whatever they like.

I just posted it too get a idea of how people felt about the addition.
Just debating whether to keep it in or leave it out.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

nerdenstein wrote:EDIT2: Sorta Fixed. The textures are aligned but without Skirting Boards. The issue is that the wallpaper that isn't damaged is half the size of the texture that is damaged.
Could you ellaborate on this? I would check myself but for some reason no .UTX package are opening on my system (In DeusEx's UnrealEd, or Unreal's, or Unreal Tournament's..). Perhaps I accidentally created the problem when I pulled a little trick with the textures.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

The first one is an image from in the editor. The texture around the elevator door is different to the one on the other wall shown as you well know. :P
As you can see, I doubled the size of the texture on the other wall but ingame I get the result seen in the second link where it is the same size and aligns perfectly, but without playing around with it somemore, the bottom part of it is cut off. I'm guessing you weren't aware of the texture sizing being different? I guess that could be why it was misaligned and different sizes in the first place. :/
I don't know.

EDIT: Just noticed what what I said in a previous post about the textures didn't make alot of sense. Apologies. :smile:
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

nerdenstein wrote:
The first one is an image from in the editor. The texture around the elevator door is different to the one on the other wall shown as you well know. :P
As you can see, I doubled the size of the texture on the other wall but ingame I get the result seen in the second link where it is the same size and aligns perfectly, but without playing around with it somemore, the bottom part of it is cut off. I'm guessing you weren't aware of the texture sizing being different? I guess that could be why it was misaligned and different sizes in the first place. :/
I don't know.

EDIT: Just noticed what what I said in a previous post about the textures didn't make alot of sense. Apologies. :smile:
All of the wall textures are 256 pixels high, the only difference is in the original the plain wall is 128X256, but I think I replaced the old texture with a horizontally doubled-up version that's 256X256. So the scale shouldn't have changed, really - I don't know what's causing the error.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I'll do what I can. I can't be that difficult. It's just playing with U + V scaling values after all.
I just thought I'd bring it up.

Also, what did you mean by this:
Hong Kong Versalife - Move skybox area to just outside playable area (avoiding using the skybox camera type so nearby buildings respond to perspective.)
The skybox isn't in the playable area. I think it looks kinda cool but it's your call Dave. :P
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

That's the problem! I think it should be moved to the playable area to fix the awful perspective issues that come with using an Unreal Engine 1 skybox :P At the moment the buildings close to the window look completely wrong, and moving around doesn't cause the correct sort of perspective shift it should.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Oh right. I wasn't sure what you ment at first. :P
I'll see what I can do. :)

Any immediate bugs you need attending too off the top of your head?
I remember you saying you want stuff like ledges, fire escapes and such added to buildings around Hells Kitchen: (Source:viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10807)
Is that still going ahead?

At the moment, I've done a few texture alignment issues first, (i.e. the Hotel Wallpaper) saved that into one folder, then proceeded to add extra aesthetic features to the map (third floor corridor) and saved that into a separate folder. Mainly so I've got a back up from everything just in case I screw up and so that the project can be split into 'Bug Fixes' and 'Additions'.

I have no idea how to fix the BSP hole. The fact that the one in the helibase has disappeared is a miracle.
flib
Thug

Post by flib »

Any chance you would release a version with just textures fixed? All these other changes are sounding to be way too much to me.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

ggrotz wrote: Also no mention of any single-player game issues, which makes me think the only concern was the multi-player part. One would probably have to look at the change log for 1.112f to find out anything.
Trying to think & log the major "that's different" moments I found in playing the 1.109f maps (so far) compared to the GOTY maps:
1. There was one ladder headed from Osgood and Sons to the warehouse to destroy the generator that I could go down before that I couldn't with these maps.
2. Missing infolink message at the airfield from Gunther: "We know your brother was here..."
3. Paul disappeared pretty quickly during the escape. He usually stays around longer.
4. Civilians were running around all over the streets. Not so in GOTY maps.
5. I got mugged pretty quickly by all the MJ12 troops and 3 UNATCO troops when I finished talking with Dowd at Osgood and Sons. I threw a gas grenade when I realized they were coming and didn't get too hurt.
6. No "thug" going after Dowd, same level, despite mention of one. Usually I down one in the process of the "contact Dowd in Hell's Kitchen" level.
7. I got mugged by three of the MJ12 troops right after talking to Dowd at the crypt (they came inside the crypt with him there).

That covers everything I've noticed so far. I looked at the patch documentation for 1.112fm and there was mention of the Savage infinite skill points bug so I'll try that when I get to Vandenberg.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

That's much appreciated ggrotz. :D

@flib That's the intention. The other stuff will more than likely be stuffed into a separate project. At the moment, I'm finding it difficult to add things whilst not changing the gameplay and the layout of the maps etc. I might leave that sort of thing to Revision.