New Visions not working

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Re: New Visions not working

Post by DaveW »

I thought that might catch people out. As of Vista, I think, programs have limited access to folders out side of the Documents folder, so it's easier to make games save stuff there rather than in Program Files etc. - which is why the Documents folder is now home to craploads of mostly empty game folders.
Strelok Denton
Mole Person

Post by Strelok Denton »

When I open the game it runs fine but the textures haven't changed. Also the one in the documents folder is the one I changed from the beginning.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Are you sure the renderer is set to Direct3D 10 support? And made sure you have the latest DirectX10 installed (and have Vista or Win7 to support D3D10)?
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Even if you already have DirectX10 installed, you might want to consider installing it anyway. I was only able to use that renderer after installing it even though my computer assured me I already had it.
Strelok Denton
Mole Person

Post by Strelok Denton »

Oh I think I figured it out. I just copy and pasted the textures from the NVtexures folder into the default textures folder and it seems to work like a charm. How the hell did I not think of that sooner? #-o
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

The only reason that would work is if you put the NVTextures path line in the wrong place - but it's cool that it's working for you now.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Strelok Denton wrote:Oh I think I figured it out. I just copy and pasted the textures from the NVtexures folder into the default textures folder and it seems to work like a charm. How the hell did I not think of that sooner? #-o
Yeah this is pretty much what I recommend as the last resort, if all our help is of no use, just overwrite your Default Textures (but make a backup of them so you don't need to reinstall).
Ozzymandias
Mole Person

Post by Ozzymandias »

Hello guys, I’m here because New vision doesn't work on my computer, i was hoping you could help me...
So here is what i did from the start:
-Install the game from the original CD
-Download the New vision Mod
-Copy all the new textures into the file C:\DeusEx\Textures (erasing the old ones)
-Copy the content of Deusex v3 into the System folder
-Change the lines: Paths=..\NVTextures\*.utx in the deuxex.ini
-And finally install a Renderers and make the correct adjustment in Configure but no matter what i use it always end up with a black screen when i start the game (even if in the open GL i can hear the music and if i move the mouse i hear the sound of the menu).
Also i have installed Directx11, C++ and my drivers...

Hope You Can help me
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

What version of Windows have you got? If it's XP, you can't use the DX10 renderer.
Depending on what version of Deus Ex you've got, have you installed the patch?
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Ozzymandias wrote:-Copy all the new textures into the file C:\DeusEx\Textures (erasing the old ones)
-Change the lines: Paths=..\NVTextures\*.utx in the deuxex.ini
Here's your problem. You should either copy NVTextures into your DeusEx directory and add the NVTextures paths line (don't remove the old Textures line), or replace the old textures and leave DeusEx.ini alone.
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

Having a rather unusual problem with getting the NV textures to show up. I'm using:

ATi Radeon 9600
Windows XP
DX9 renderer / new OpenGL renderer (same result with either)
Kentie's .exe / Default Deusex.exe (same result with either)

I've multiple checked everything and followed the instructions exactly but the textures don't show. What makes me think I'm doing it right is that I can see, in the spawn room of the training level, the new UNATCO logo above the door that comes with NV. Also, I can see the new NV skybox on Liberty Island, jpg attached.

I've already tried the 'last resort' method but to the same end.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Note the original textures and the new skybox in the background.
Note the original textures and the new skybox in the background.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

For both the DX9 Renderer and the OpenGL renderer, you need to add this line to the top of the settings: S3TC=True.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

Cheers, it always turns out to be something stupid like that...I didn't bother to check the OpenGL readme and I assumed that adding that line didn't apply to this release as it did to the beta, since there was no mention of it in the NV readme.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

The NV Readme is just for installing the textures, the renderer Readme's are specific instructions for the renderers. DX10 includes S3TC support by default which is why I recommend most people use it if they can.