New Visions won't work for me on XP64

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

vecuccio
Thug

New Visions won't work for me on XP64

Post by vecuccio »

It could be that it IS working, but my in game screens look pretty bland compared to the online screenshots, so i'm thinking that the textures are NOT loading ?

See screenshot below of official screen vs my screen from Unatco HQ. Mine looks like default textures.
Image1.jpg:Image

I have followed the instructions precisely as documented in the various README - pasting the line in BEFORE the default texture path.

[Core.System]
PurgeCacheDays=30
SavePath=..\Save
CachePath=..\Cache
CacheExt=.uxx
Paths=..\System\*.u
Paths=..\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\NVTextures\*.utx
Paths=..\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\Sounds\*.uax
Paths=..\Music\*.umx

I have tried different renderers - including the opengl one supplied, and the new DirectX9 renderer that is linked from Kentie's README.

I read the other post on this - where it turned out the other guy had an INI kicking around in his MyDocuments - I do not have a single reference to 'deusex' on my entire C drive (I did an F3 search for deus*.* with hidden files and system files shown), so this is not relevant to me.

Also Kenties Launcher does not work for me - it just says that there is no MSCVR100.dll - when one is sitting there in my \windows\system32 folder.

Has anyone got it working with XP-64 ?
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Re: New Visions won't work for me on XP64

Post by nerdenstein »

Make sure you've got the Visual C++ 2010 runtimes (if the application gives an error about 'MSVCRT100.DLL' missing) download here. Note that this 32 bit version is also right for 64 bit operating systems, as the game is a 32 bit executable.
http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/index.htm

Visual C++ 2010 Runtimes link: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... en&id=5555
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
vecuccio
Thug

Post by vecuccio »

Yes, I Googled for the problem and came upon the same solution before I read Kentie's thing, I did it, needless to say that with my luck it didn't change a thing.

The DX 10 renderer that comes with the package, it IS for DX10 only isn't it, or is it just the filename name that gave me that impression ?
I didn't try it because I thought it was DirectX10 only.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

So Kentie's launcher still doesn't work?

Yes, it's DirectX 10 only. If that hasn't worked for you, could you try the OpenGL renderer that came with New Vision?
vecuccio
Thug

Post by vecuccio »

I tried the 32bit version instead of the 64bit version and reinstalled the runtime libraries - and I got Kentie's program running, so thatnks for that.

However, that doesn't solve my main dilemma of why the lovely textures aren't loading in the first place ?

I will go through Kenties program and try all the renderers again - I already did this the slow and painful way from inside DX, however it won't hurt to try again.

EDIT: - just did that, still default textures. This is really annoying. If it was something basic that I was missing out on then someone would have pointed it out.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Okay let me take a step backwards for a second.
First things first. The NVTextures folder is in the \DeusEx\ folder and you've added this line (Paths=..\NVTextures\*.utx) to the deusex.ini above Paths=..\Textures\*.utx in BOTH the \DeusEx\System folder and now (because you are using Kenties launcher) to \Documents\DeusEx\System\. It should be in there if you did it before because when you launched Kenties launcher, it copied the .ini from the DeusEx install location and saved it in My Documents.

If you're using the DX10 renderer, the new textures should just appear. If you're using the OpenGL renderer, you've gotta add UseS3TC=True under [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice] in the .ini in your My Documents.
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

XP does not support D3D10
(DirectX 10 is only available on Vista or Win7)
Pick up and install the D3D9 or OpenGL renedrers http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/ and make sure you set uses3tc to true
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...