Not Working, Strange Error

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

Slyvoc
Mole Person

Not Working, Strange Error

Post by Slyvoc »

Did a quick google search after following all of the readme files to yield nothing. The game works fine under the default DX3D renderer, but when I choose the DX3D10 renderer in the Kentie launcher it gives me an error that reads something like:

d3dx10_43.dll not found

The game runs, but is choppy and the audio is messed up.

I have DX11 on my laptop that I'm running this off of. Any way to resolve this issue?
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Re: Not Working, Strange Error

Post by DaveW »

The reason it's running choppy is because it's reverting to Software rendering, because you don't have DirectX 10 installed. The link to DX10 is in the ModDB description (it's the first troubleshooting step).
Slyvoc
Mole Person

Post by Slyvoc »

Ok, I was assuming DX11 would work fine. Can I have DX10 and DX11 running at the same time?

Also would the path matter? My steam folder is in my D:\ drive as opposed to C:\
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

For some reason you need both, but yes both will run fine together. It's Microsoft, what do you expect?

And no the directory of the game won't matter - the DirectX DLL's are stored in your C:\Windows directory either way.
Slyvoc
Mole Person

Post by Slyvoc »

Thanks a bunch Dave. I updated and don't get the error anymore, I even went so far as to update my graphics card drivers. Went to run the game again, no graphics improvement. It is still a bit choppy in running also in that graphics tend to jump around a bit. Any other fixes you can think of?
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Well if it looks anything like this (screenshots from Massaca):

Then it's still reverting to software. You can tell by the cheap texture filtering hack Unreal uses in Software (that makes the walls etc. look dotty).

Easiest way around all this is to revert to the OpenGL renderer.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Holy shit that looks awful. Nice job Unreal :o
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Technically that texture rendering was state of the art in 1998. Back then 3d accelerators were few and far between, and things like texture filtering (i.e. the texture blurring when you stretch it) were seen as luxuries which were heavily CPU intensive. Only 3d accelerators running OpenGl, Glide, S3 etc. could do that, and incidentally they were fucking expensive. Anything in software looked like ass, as I knew for the many years of Unreal gaming before 2001 when I got my top of the range GeForce 4 Ti 4600 for £160. Now a top end card costs £400 - go technology!

That doesn't excuse Unreal's piss-poor model rendering in Software though.