Any TNM map requests?

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Any TNM map requests?

Post by Jonas »

Let's say... completely hypothetically, that there might be idle plans to put out another TNM patch, despite various blood oaths taken previously. Just a small patch with some minor tweaks once HDTP is released. This might be a good time to tweak any textures that don't work right with New Vision installed.

Anybody played through TNM with New Vision installed yet? Any suggestions for things that should be fixed?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: Any TNM map requests?

Post by bobby 55 »

The only thing I can think of right away was the sky after leaving Raving's. It looked "oily" is the best description I can think of.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

After leaving Raving's? Was this not a problem when you originally entered the Corporate district?

I'll look into it either way.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jonas wrote:After leaving Raving's? Was this not a problem when you originally entered the Corporate district?

I'll look into it either way.
I don't know, you don't really get a view of the sky unless you purposely look up, but coming from Raving's it's kinda in your eyeline. I'll load the map and suss it out.

Edit: I musta had a render issue coz it looks good now. Also the Party Zone's interior looks fucking fantastic. :P
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Yes, the one fantastic thing about loading both HDTP and New Vision is how a lot of the textures that weren't "updated" look like crap. That's how much of an upgrade the graphics have gotten. This is true for TNM in many points. The main thing I can think of at the moment (and I've mentioned before) is the additional soda can textures (the ones not in regular DX). In "storefront" or "storeroom" situations with all of them together, the rest of them look like crap compared to the HDTP Nuke cans, and literally stick out as crap.

I don't know whether they've been looked at or not so far. But in general, just doing a playthrough should reveal those points that could be addressed.

Edit: Nevermind.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Ah well that's an HDTP thing I guess, and since they're not in any way obliged to fix up the soda cans that aren't used in Deus Ex, it's completely up to them whether or not to make more high-res versions of those textures :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

The only thing I can think of is making the TNM textures the same quality as New Vision, doesn't look good when you have High res textures and not so good ones as well.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Too much work, sorry.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Jonas wrote:Ah well that's an HDTP thing I guess, and since they're not in any way obliged to fix up the soda cans that aren't used in Deus Ex, it's completely up to them whether or not to make more high-res versions of those textures :)
Yeah. Actually in playing with them I noticed the new HDTP mesh for the soda cans helps tremendously in looks, since its a cylinder edge instead of a hexagon. So you might consider that from a coding perspective. I found just resizing the other files to match, adding the constant elements of the HDTP soda can tex1 (like the top and the can edges) to the others and running them through the new mesh helped tremendously. Of course, they still look bad compared to the HDTP soda can, but no where near as bad.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

If you make a fixpack for TNM maps, be sure to use the few 1.0.4+ maps as base, so these buttons/triggers and random keypads and what-not are fixed ;).

Aside from that, haven't tried TNM with New Vision (yes, I know, shame on me)...
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Don't worry, we've made sure the SVN is up to version 1.0.4+. Nick extracted the compiled packages, so we don't need the source files you've lost ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Sweet.
Does that include the dialogue?

If so I might be able to fix whatever was the matter with Kunio Kun's sell dialogue after all (there's just one skip missing I guess). :P
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

I actually..uh..made HDTP versions of the sodacan and beer bottle additional textures, just for my own stuff (QE has randomised bottle textures and shit, because I was bored).

I was reluctant to include them in HDTP because A)vanilla DX doesn't even use the extra can/bottle texes anyway, and B)I'm not really a texture artist (at all, in any shape or form, ever...seriously, I can send Dave a texture I've made, and in the time it takes me to go to the fridge and get another beer he's already made a version of it that makes mine look like a 4-bit jpeg compression artefact).

But I can probably give them to Jonas if he wants. :-/
PlausibleSarge
UNATCO

Post by PlausibleSarge »

DDL wrote:I actually..uh..made HDTP versions of the sodacan and beer bottle additional textures, just for my own stuff (QE has randomised bottle textures and shit, because I was bored).

I was reluctant to include them in HDTP because A)vanilla DX doesn't even use the extra can/bottle texes anyway, and B)I'm not really a texture artist (at all, in any shape or form, ever...seriously, I can send Dave a texture I've made, and in the time it takes me to go to the fridge and get another beer he's already made a version of it that makes mine look like a 4-bit jpeg compression artefact).

But I can probably give them to Jonas if he wants. :-/
Maybe you could release a TNM "addon" for HDTP which contains the additional textures and models, to reduce the size of the original mod, and so that they dont have to live up to the expectations oif the original mod