It's done.

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Re: It's done.

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Just read the newsupdate on moddb before coming here.

Pretty sweet.
Kinda waiting for HDTP to re-do a run though...
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I'm getting a respectable 1.02 MB/sec download from Game Front.

Stupid IE stopped working at the 72% mark. :(
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
CrocMagnum
NSF

Post by CrocMagnum »

DaveW wrote:...5 years of on and off work, and it's finally complete. It's hard to know what to feel except relief that I can finally forget about it. It's time to move on, at last.
DaveW! Thank you beyond words! :shock:

It's marvelous to watch someone work on his spare time during 5 friggin' years for the others. Especially these days.

Sir! You're beautiful... a beautiful person! If I could scrutinize your soul maybe I could see rainbows and butterflies. Well! cyber rainbows and nano-augmented butterflies at least...

Note: a big kiss to all those who contributed to the project too.
fantsu wrote:nice, sadly their link to gamefront download doesn't work at the moment, but I have feeling that I get it soon...
From what I gather Gamefront has changed it's policy concerning the hosted files. Some countries are blocked.

For instance you can't download from Gamefront anymore if you're from France, Belgium or Spain!

So if Gamefront doesn't work for you, I guess the best thing to do right now is register and download from Modbb. Later some mirrors should be up I hope.

EDIT: Here's the list of the blocked countries:

Game Front File Hosting FAQs: http://www.gamefront.com/file-hosting-faq/
Last edited by CrocMagnum on Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Yay! Thanks so much, DaveW! In my opinion, this certainly is the best hi-res texture remake pack for an older game thus far (Duke 3D HRP is a very close second)!

Yet I must ask if there are any textures still missing (i.e. not remade)? That is, the wording on the SDK "Let's face it; no one else is going to pick up where I've left New Vision off." left me a bit puzzled.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Thanks for the support guys. It's what makes it all worth it :)

And yes Fastgamerr, there are still some textures left undone. I'd estimate around 5-7%. The only ones you're likely to notice are when you're inside a lift shaft - those are the only textures I refused to bother with. Pretty much all the major texture are done, which is why I'm willing to call it final.

Also: CELEBRATORY CAKE

bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Do we install New Vision first then HDTP? I think I read somewhere on the forums that was the way to go.

IE 9 users might want to switch to another browser to download it. After four attempts I switched to Firefox and have it fully downloaded....at long last.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

bobby 55 wrote:Do we install New Vision first then HDTP? I think I read somewhere on the forums that was the way to go.

IE 9 users might want to switch to another browser to download it. After four attempts I switched to Firefox and have it fully downloaded....at long last.
Why are you using IE anyway? I'm no IE basher, but alternative browsers are just so much better... (Not bitching, honest curiosity)

Nice Dave, enjoy the cake. Mmmm I love myself some cake. Have nothing to celebrate at the moment tho.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

bobby 55 wrote:Do we install New Vision first then HDTP? I think I read somewhere on the forums that was the way to go.
Yes, New Vision first, since it makes changes in the original DeusEx.ini. Then install HDTP to make sure those changes are copied over to HDTP.ini. If you want you can replace HDTPs launcher with Kenties to be able to control settings etc. However New Vision should be enabled on the HDTP install if you do it in that order, regardless of kenties launcher.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

@gamer0004: I don't like Chrome and Firefox, although great initially, seems to get bogged down after a few months. There's also a couple of sites I go to that play nice with IE and not so nice with others...something to do with the cryptology I think.

Dave's cake has got me thinking about scones and jam for breakfast.

@bjorn98009_91: Cheers.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Don't hold me to this, since I haven't actually tried it - but I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter which order you install them in, as long as when you launch Deus Ex you have both data directories enabled.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

I was about to make a long ranting entry on how wrong you were DaveW, but when I tried it myself I ended up realizing I was in error #-o . Apparently Kentie's launcher somehow makes it work by scanning the different mods ini files to gather those settings. It must be pointed out it only works this way if you choose the Kentie render or already had it installed when installing HDTP. Either way installing NV first should not in any scenario cause issues :)

Wrong again, it scans all directories in the DX root folder to see if there are maps/textures/sounds etc in there, then the launcher makes a pickable list out of that.
Last edited by bjorn98009_91 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Cheers guys. I had kenties installed before the HDTP beta so I might just run the NV exe, check the Data Directory after the required ini additions and see how it goes. Reinstalling Deus Ex and starting afresh if something goes pear shape is no biggie for me once the mods have been downloaded. Downloading is the longest part of the process imo.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Great work, thank you DaveW for all your hard work :D Also, I had one of those cakes yesterday, haha!

Edit: Hate to rain on the "It's Done" but the texture is still missing (just downloaded the last version and playing through it, was really hoping not to run into anything like this due do you saying your finished and not wanting to work on anything Deus Ex related again, so didn't want to find any issues):
Missing Texture
Missing Texture
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

We could just pretend it is a cool looking frosted glass partition... I am sure nobody will notice :P
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
Sirrus233
Mole Person

Post by Sirrus233 »

Been lurking here forever, made an account just recently so I could say congratulations.

I don't know how much it means, coming from an internet stranger, but this is some seriously inspiring work you've done Dave.

Thank you for doing such a kickass job with this project. Not only have you made a huge contribution to a game that everyone here loves, but you've also served as a pretty incredible example. I'm sure it must be the case for more than just me that you've inspired us to do better and push farther our own projects.

So thanks again! I hope you're as proud of New Vision as you deserve to be.