Problem using New Vision, please help.

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

anonymous1980
Thug

Problem using New Vision, please help.

Post by anonymous1980 »

I've replayed Deus Ex countless times (literally, i lost count) modded and un-modded with no significant issues, but i never encountered this problem. This is what happened. Installed perfectly off GoG.com, installed New Vision 1.5 perfectly, aswell as Kentie's launcher.

But everytime i try to add "..\New Vision\Maps\*.dx" and "..\New Vision\Textures\*.utx" from the 'Data Directories' on the Launcher, i get this error:

Game works perfectly fine without adding New Vision through the 'Data Directories'. I've also tried enabling the mod trough the .ini manually.

Overall i've tried a lot of tweaks and searches to fix this, with no result. I don't know what hell i've done wrong for the game to f*ck up like this. It's frustrating, because i've already wasted so much damn time. Please help me.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: Problem using New Vision, please help.

Post by bobby 55 »

Did you add Paths=..\NVTextures\*.utx above Paths=..\Textures\*.utx. in the Deus Ex ini?
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
anonymous1980
Thug

Post by anonymous1980 »

I added

Paths=..\NewVision\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\NewVision\Maps\*.dx

Below 'Suppress=DevBsp' from the [Core.System] as i was instructed in the 'readme' file.

But i think something is seriously messed up now that i've re-checked the ini., because new 'Paths=' appeared, though i did re-start the launcher a few times with and without the added New Vision from the 'Data Directories':

[Core.System]
PurgeCacheDays=30
SavePath=..\Save
CachePath=..\Cache
CacheExt=.uxx
Suppress=DevLoad
Suppress=DevSave
Suppress=DevNetTraffic
Suppress=DevGarbage
Suppress=DevKill
Suppress=DevReplace
Suppress=DevSound
Suppress=DevCompile
Suppress=DevBind
Suppress=DevBsp
Paths=..\New Vision\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\New Vision\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\NewVision\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\NewVision\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\System\*.u
Paths=..\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\NVTextures\*.utx
Paths=..\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\Sounds\*.uax
Paths=..\Music\*.umx
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Erk, I've got the GOG version and just installed NV 1.5 with Deus Ex already with the HDTP beta installed. The installer, kudos to the clever guys who made that, recognized that I had Kenties and the OpenGL renderer. After installation I enabled the NV files in the Data Directories and it's fine. I'll have a look at my ini and post it.

Paths=..\HDTP\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\HDTP\System\*.u
Paths=..\New Vision\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\New Vision\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\System\*.u
Paths=..\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\Sounds\*.uax
Paths=..\Music\*.umx

In your case you wouldn't have the lines for HDTP of course.
anonymous1980
Thug

Post by anonymous1980 »

thanks, appreciate it.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

If you're still having problems you could copy paste the New Vision files into the Deus Textures. Say yes to overwriting. Rename the Deus Ex textures to New Vision textures and add the path lines in the ini. You shouldn't have to enable them in the Data Directories then. The only drawback is you won't have vanilla Deus Ex textures.
anonymous1980
Thug

Post by anonymous1980 »

I just deleted the 'Deus Ex' folder from 'My Documents' to make a new one as i start the game with the Launcher. So the .ini file basically looks just like yours minus the HDTP ofcourse (which i plan to download and install later, the new beta version is the reason why i installed the game again, heh). Same exact critical error.
bobby 55 wrote:If you're still having problems you could copy paste the New Vision files into the Deus Textures. Say yes to overwriting. Rename the Deus Ex textures to New Vision textures and add the path lines in the ini. You shouldn't have to enable them in the Data Directories then. The only drawback is you won't have vanilla Deus Ex textures.
Yeah, i don't know why i haven't thought about that. I'm gonna try that a little later, hopefully it works, thanks for the good idea.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Another forumite and myself got it working that way in the release prior to 1.5...there wasn't an installer or Kenties with a Data Directory then however. I hope it works for you.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

It's not Data Directories - if that's set up wrong, you just wouldn't see the textures. When Deus Ex looks for a package it searches from the top of that list down - so if for some reason it couldn't find anything in 'New Vision', it would look down and find the regular 'Textures' directory and use them instead.

That error seems to be a more major problem with the .EXE. Perhaps the launcher doesn't like your version of Windows. Check you've got the Visual C++ 2010 runtimes installed, for a start.
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

I freaked out for a second when I thought that that critical error box image was real. I was kind of looking away from the screen when the page loaded. :P
anonymous1980
Thug

Post by anonymous1980 »

DaveW wrote:It's not Data Directories - if that's set up wrong, you just wouldn't see the textures. When Deus Ex looks for a package it searches from the top of that list down - so if for some reason it couldn't find anything in 'New Vision', it would look down and find the regular 'Textures' directory and use them instead.

That error seems to be a more major problem with the .EXE. Perhaps the launcher doesn't like your version of Windows. Check you've got the Visual C++ 2010 runtimes installed, for a start.
It's ben a long time since i re-installed Windows, but i played Deus Ex without a problem on it with New Vision (before 1.5) and other mods, many times. The only thing i did differently here is install C++ 2010 that it recommended trough the New Vision 1.5 installer.

I also have three other C++ runtimes installed, older versions. Maybe i should uninstall these versions, and only leave the 2010 one.
anonymous1980
Thug

Post by anonymous1980 »

bobby 55 wrote:If you're still having problems you could copy paste the New Vision files into the Deus Textures. Say yes to overwriting. Rename the Deus Ex textures to New Vision textures and add the path lines in the ini. You shouldn't have to enable them in the Data Directories then. The only drawback is you won't have vanilla Deus Ex textures.
Welp, same exact error, but now i have to reinstall everything. F*ck.. I might as well quit for now until i have a fresh Windows on my PC.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

anonymous1980 wrote:
Welp, same exact error, but now i have to reinstall everything. F*ck.. I might as well quit for now until i have a fresh Windows on my PC.
Sorry man.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Try reinstalling New Vision but choose Hanfling's custom launcher instead and see if that works. I guess you have tried changing the renderers, also your game is up to date with the latest patch?
Last edited by bjorn98009_91 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Is this happening with both OpenGL and Direct3D?