New Vision beta release - download inside!

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Re: New Vision beta release - download inside!

Post by DaveW »

I'm fairly sure all of those are done, actually. But, Unreal Engine 1 has been clever for once. The way I compiled the final texture packages meant that in UnrealED and if you turn UseS3TC to false, it will use the original textures which are still stored inside the texture packages. With S3TC on, it will use the new high resolution textures.

So if you load it in UnrealEd, since Ued1 is only software and therefore unable to support DXT1 compression, it will load the low-res versions. Very clever :)
Darma
UNATCO

Post by Darma »

Thanks from Belgium
eternalightwithin
NSF

Post by eternalightwithin »

What's happening on the NV front this week?
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Nothing's happened since the release, I've been busy with other stuff. I'll try and finalise the mod over the summer, and have a "final" release containing most of the major textures done, maybe in early September. But I'm too busy with Uni work at the moment and lacking motivation to do much more on the project right now.
From the 7th World

Post by From the 7th World »

I just want to know: is it HDTP only, or can a normal LCD and intel graphics chip run this mod?
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

From the 7th World wrote:I just want to know: is it HDTP only, or can a normal LCD and intel graphics chip run this mod?
Sorry, but I don't follow you. That first part makes absolutely no sense. As far as the second part about the Intel chip, I can run the beta of NV on a laptop with a 915 chipset (I hate Intel) albeit with some lag, and it only gets worse as stuff is added on (TNM, HDTP)
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Any computer monitor >640x480 resolution will be fine. NV won't require HDTP, but it will augment it. Deus Ex with HDTP or NV will require better graphics capabilities than just Deus Ex, but it shouldn't require anything crazy.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

From the 7th World wrote:I just want to know: is it HDTP only, or can a normal LCD and intel graphics chip run this mod?
Did you mean HDTV? If so, none of these mods (HDTP or NV) are dependent on HD resolutions :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
From the 7th World

Post by From the 7th World »

Thank you. I backed up my original textures and inserted the updated ones, put the S3TC bit in the .ini file, but when i started, in OpenGL, software and D3D mode, i got a message:

"can't find file for package 'effects'

History: UObject::SafeLoadError<-UObject::StaticLoadClass <-InitEngine"

Can somebody help me on this one? My graphics chip is an Intel 945 GM Express family chipset ( as described in Device Manager), if that has anything to do with it.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Effects is a standard package I didn't touch. Make sure you're installing NV into a duplicate directory of your textures. So when you backup, duplicate your Textures directory and install into the original, because not all of Deus Ex's packages are included in this release.

That's the only thing I can think of. A 945 shouldn't have problems, if that doesn't fix it I'll double-check it on my Netbook, but if Merciless has it on a 915..that would suggest it isn't your graphics card causing the problem.

I don't think you should have problems with a 945 either, but it is fairly low-end and your card might struggle with the high resolution textures. Especially important is a high amount of Video RAM, something like 128 or 256 is a 'must' for this mod, I think.
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

I would be happy to do a low performance run through if you want to get the recommended specs for the final release when it is done. Terrible graphics, and I can vary the processor from 800mhz to 1.8ghz.

Since my graphics are similar, I can try to get that same message, but I have never seen anything like it yet.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Well, does NV run ok as-is? What VRAM do you have?

I'm not too bothered about proper recommended specs, I would just guess them as any video card with 128-256 VRAM. I think that's the most important point, until you go into slow GMA's.
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

How much trouble would it be to fix the most glaring transparency issues (e.g. the UNATCO logo) in the current release?
As simple as changing the properties in the texture families in UnrealEd and resaving?

(I really should just go and try it before asking, shouldn't I?
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

DaveW wrote:Well, does NV run ok as-is? What VRAM do you have?

I'm not too bothered about proper recommended specs, I would just guess them as any video card with 128-256 VRAM. I think that's the most important point, until you go into slow GMA's.
32MB shared ^^ and if I remember correctly it ran fine, I have not had a chance to put Deus Ex back on my laptop.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I believe those chipsets are Intel GMA900 or 950. Probably 950. ISTR playing Deus Ex on GMA900 and being really impressed, but NV will probably need access to a lot more texture RAM quickly.