New Vision Beta - Bug Reports

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Re: New Vision Beta - Bug Reports

Post by DaveW »

Sounds like your graphics drivers might not like the OpenGL renderer or something. You could try the updated Direct 3D9 renderer (exactly the same idea, just change the S3TC=True stuff under Direct3D) - see if that works.

I didn't make the OpenGL driver so I'm not really able to do tech support with it :(.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

I noticed only one bug I can remember, the "Castle Clinton" sign is a little off when you see it (not sure if thats been said before):
CClinton Sign
CClinton Sign
I am using a GeForce GTX 260 and am running Windows 7.
Same here, but I used the DX10 render which is very good

Also, is it just me or do the new textures, many of them seem more "dirty" looking than originals?

Edit: Clinton sign has been mentioned. One more thing, in one of the rooms on the NSF warehouse (I can't remember which) but the ceiling texture looks very big (Its a metal texture of some sort((I think its in the room beside the room with the carbon dioxide gas in it, where you choke if you go in it like you got shot with a fire extinguisher) I can't tell if its meant to be this way as I have never really looked at ceiling before.

Otherwise, great stuff

Also, I thought the clouds in the sky look a bit big when you see them, especially when you look up on Hong Kong maps and see the sky.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Castle Clinton has since been fixed, as have all the other bugs reported so far. But the new textures are a lot dirtier than the old ones, yes.

I'll take a look at the NSF ceiling texture and the clouds.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

DaveW wrote:Castle Clinton has since been fixed, as have all the other bugs reported so far. But the new textures are a lot dirtier than the old ones, yes.

I'll take a look at the NSF ceiling texture and the clouds.
So far I have just noticed the sky clouds in HK maps, other places it seems ok
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

I'm not sure why, but I don't think I ever actually installed this. But in my latest playthrough of DX I made sure to make it super HQ, so installed HDTP, New Vision and the ENB thing, and it looks fantastic. So far, apart from a few minor texture misalignments, I've only spotted a couple of mistakes:

"It's" should be "Its" - http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/7289/shot0003o.png
Same as above, and "Manderly" should be "Manderley" - http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/1560/shot0004s.png

Apart from that, excellent work! I look forward to its completion :D
Shmendele
Mole Person

Post by Shmendele »

Two other textures in Area 51 - Sector 4

DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Unfortunately both of these are just poor texture alignments in the original maps, that are only visible with high definition textures. Before, the fact the text was flipped didn't really matter because it was blurry. Now you can read it, it's obvious - though I think I've flipped or removed the page industries thing because none of the Deus Ex mappers used the texture properly.
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

Funny how this is now turning into something of a restoration mod.
[FGS]Shadowrunner
Thug

Post by [FGS]Shadowrunner »

Message to Dave:

Hi Dave/NV.

Shinobi was telling me about the issues in NV being able to correct some texture errors in the original game. I've been mapping, mostly MP, for six years, I can't really script or code, so I put a lot in to textures and lighting. I use a lot of SP brushes in Stargate, Cozmopolis and other mods that I've worked on and probably could be useful to you, as I know the SP textures and brushes well. For example I think there's very few players who know where the anal sex picture is in DX, the clue: It's near one of the textures that is "back to front" i.e. inverted/flipped the wrong way.

He said you were looking for a mapper to edit the original maps and update them?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

[FGS]Shadowrunner wrote:For example I think there's very few players who know where the anal sex picture is in DX, the clue: It's near one of the textures that is "back to front" i.e. inverted/flipped the wrong way.
Wh-- what?! Okay this... this I do not know about. Also that is a terrible clue!
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Jonas wrote:
[FGS]Shadowrunner wrote:For example I think there's very few players who know where the anal sex picture is in DX, the clue: It's near one of the textures that is "back to front" i.e. inverted/flipped the wrong way.
Wh-- what?! Okay this... this I do not know about. Also that is a terrible clue!
I'd imagine he's talking about this, in the Mole People map:
(I have no idea why it's there, but..it is)

Shadowrunner, it'd be great to have you help out :) I think some slightly re-jigged lighting might work wonders in some places, so that'd be awesome. There's another topic detailing some of the changes we're considering so you could take a look through that to get an idea.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Oh, okay. That's a little underwhelming, but I guess that's a good thing. Very realistic graffiti if nothing else.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
shinobi87
Thug

Post by shinobi87 »

Hey Shadow glad to see ya here!

DaveW, I've been explaining to mappers that once NV becomes widely-used, people are going to notice texture misalignments much more obviously than before, as you rightly said they were so lo res you wouldn't notice before.

I'm not really interested in editing any maps in ANY way which will change what is and isn't there (i.e. Revision mod), and I think your idea of updating the maps with re-jigged lighting and the like may actually be going too far, depends what you want, I've seen the pic on your mappers wanted thread, and I like the idea of lit windows in background, better skyboxes etc. I think this could be done with the help of people such as shadowrunner.

I think these map edits should be texture/lighting BUG-FIXES only, though. That's my two cents anyway.

Last time I posted things were coming along nicely, and I'm glad to see some progress being made with uploading and stuff since I last posted. I'm sorry for going way off topic (and not actually having any bugs to report!) but I simply can't be arsed to start typing again in the right thread, so I'll ask here: are you still considering the MP-playable version, with the .dds files?? I did warn you that arranging every single texture into the correct folder structure (x:\DeusEx\Textures\[utx-package-name]\[texture-group-name]) will take fucking ages if you've not already got this done.

Also if you do it I hope you use DXT5 as there is a noticeable difference between this and DXT1.

Anyways really sorry for going way off topic.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

If we find any areas where there's fairly flat lighting, I think trying to add some more interest wouldn't be out of the scope of the project. The important thing is to retain the same theme and gameplay, but in some areas the lighting just looks flat and could do with something 'extra' to bring it up to the standard of the rest of the game. We're playing with the lighting in the 'Ton hotel elevator shaft, for example, to try and stop the seizure-inducing flickering.

The multiplayer version will come a bit later but will still happen. It won't take that long for me to do, but it'll be bigger and therefore take ages for me to upload.
shinobi87
Thug

Post by shinobi87 »

Something I can suggest which may help: http://www.klaimsoft.com/winuha/

Creating an archive (or even a self-extracting one) using that software really and truly does compress much better than zip or rar. Give it a shot at least.

I agree about the lighting, although I now play DX with the D3D10 renderer and I disable classic lighting, which in turn enables HDR. Have you tried playing Deus Ex like this? I'd recommend it for a looksie, but I personally prefer the original lighting settings. Although HDR does add a nice fresh look especially when combined with NV. I've been playing with crazybump on some of the more obvious bumpy textures (it struggles with complex ones doesn't it), and the three things combined make for a totally new gaming experience.

Good work with all these ideas and the immense amount of time you've taken to do all this btw, I'm always envious of texture artists as I'd love to be able to do it, I can import and do models etc but I'm no artist.

:)