The Latest - State of the project

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

EER
Illuminati

Re: The Latest - State of the project

Post by EER »

Jonas wrote:I thought you already had free education.
Nope, but it is relatively cheap when compared to the US.
justanotherfan wrote:You forget the language barrier. How would the Dutch and Danish ever communicate
But you forget that we Dutch speak loads of languages, and Danish is not very unlike German, they just pronounce it all wrong. We'll just communicate in written language instead.

I will bring the ramp in Germany to the attention of our politicians, I'm pretty sure they're not very busy right now as they are preparing for general elections and stuff. Nobody will make any big decisions anytime soon anyway.

I happen to know someone who knows someone who can get anything on the political agenda over here, but it is costly. I'll just send a letter to a newspaper, so the media will do it for me instead. I wonder if they would print such a letter?
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

EER wrote:and Danish is not very unlike German, they just pronounce it all wrong.
It's our big national secret that Danish actually is German, we don't so much pronounce it wrong as mumble it unintelligibly.

But I've said too much.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
BoggyP
NSF

Post by BoggyP »

Jonas wrote:
EER wrote:and Danish is not very unlike German, they just pronounce it all wrong.
It's our big national secret that Danish actually is German, we don't so much pronounce it wrong as mumble it unintelligibly.

But I've said too much.
Aha. I just moved to Canada and joined OTP forums to trick you. I'm a German spy! It's not a secret anymore :twisted:
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

If you try to report it back to the fatherland you'll find that the routers won't carry the message. If you try to bring it back in person you'll find yourself elsewhere. Not dead. That would be too easy. Simply stranded.

Routed to the wrong destination, just like all of your electronic attempts at relaying the message.

-

Speaking of routing, there is a bug in the internet that, if exploited, would cause the entire thing to stop working. It has actually been known about for quite some time, but is difficult to fix because the only solutions that seem viable (according to the article I read) involve centralization which isn't likely. If I understood correctly the proposed solution was, essentially, Aquinas.

That is your random tidbit for the day.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

What bug? Link or it didn't happen.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
BoggyP
NSF

Post by BoggyP »

chris the cynic wrote:If you try to report it back to the fatherland you'll find that the routers won't carry the message. If you try to bring it back in person you'll find yourself elsewhere. Not dead. That would be too easy. Simply stranded.

Routed to the wrong destination, just like all of your electronic attempts at relaying the message.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! now I have to remain here, my identity known :(
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

I'm in a bit of a hurry now, I think this is it. I make no claims the person writing the article knows what he is talking about.

I must go now.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I couldn't understand that article. I thought it was talking about DNS poisoning. Here's ArsTechnica's and Wikipedia's article on the border gateway protocol vulnerability-
http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2008 ... kistan.ars
http://arstechnica.com/security/news/20 ... -users.ars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Gat ... S_problems

I can't tell if Multiprotocol Border Gateway Protocol of Multiple Protocol Gateways without Borders (or M-BGP) is vulnerable. If it is, I'll turn off Sweden's internet tomorrow so Jonas can preemptively attack.

And people from the Netherlands don't speak more than one language. They're faking. Two languages in one head? No one can live at that speed. However, if the Danish could read German, and Dutch is similar to German, then Netherlanders could go to Deutschland to learn Dutch so the Danish would understand them. If you continue with this logic, you begin to see the brilliance in the plot of Project Hyperion.

And Chris, I can't believe you didn't mention the muddled Star Trek reference!
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

I had three languages in my head at one point, fool!

I forgot one though, now I only speak Swedish and English, y no hablo espanol.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

justanotherfan wrote: . Here's ArsTechnica's and Wikipedia's article on the border gateway protocol vulnerability-
Now that sounds like it could be a sub-plot from Project Hyperion. LOL
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I have three languages, but either my head or the languages are broken, because the words are too . Hablo espanol, pero mal (I speak spanish, bad dog).

And I have no idea what you're talking about; Project Hyperion has nothing to do with the border gateway protocol vulnerability. However, It does include vulnerable border gateways. You see, once the Americans realize how powerful terrorism is domestically, they start running the border crossings into Mexico to get cheap drugs. High on amoxicillin, they terrorize the ruling drug cartels. It does does at least improve Mexican cuisine as they introduce "queso", an orange gel condiment.
BoggyP
NSF

Post by BoggyP »

You know....reading this thread reassures me that this is (besides Deus Ex & TNM) going to be the best game ever. 10/10 for plot.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

justanotherfan wrote:I have three languages, but either my head or the languages are broken, because the words are too . Hablo espanol, pero mal (I speak spanish, bad dog).
That would probably be perro mal. Unless you meant that you speak Spanish, but badly. Which makes even more sense.

Apparently I do have an accent when I speak English, but most of the time I do not get recognized as Dutch. Unless speaking to a businessman that has many meetings with Dutch people. I think it's because, in general, the native speakers I meet seem to assume that you're either a native speaker or do not speak English at all.
And I have no idea what you're talking about; Project Hyperion has nothing to do with the border gateway protocol vulnerability. However, It does include vulnerable border gateways. You see, once the Americans realize how powerful terrorism is domestically, they start running the border crossings into Mexico to get cheap drugs. High on amoxicillin, they terrorize the ruling drug cartels. It does does at least improve Mexican cuisine as they introduce "queso", an orange gel condiment.
So Hyperion mostly relates to the US? Does this mean that we do not get launched in space?! But I was so much looking forward to it!
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I'm not sure about accents. When I speak other languages, I tend to use a single "foreign accent". It's really funny, talking in Japanese and realizing I'm rolling an R (alveolar trill, like in rood).

With what happens to the US in the future, I wouldn't worry about it being central to anything in Project Hyperion. I don't want to give away too much of the plot, but it might be advisable for them to start building a fireproof ark filled with queso and hand sanitizer.

I've just received word that Project Hyperion will include a buddy character. It's set up to be a 2D puzzle game with an intense plot and narrative. The backstory will be more complex and detailed than the backstories from the instruction booklets that came with NES games. This can still change along the development process, since the game is being programmed modularly and it's dynamic.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

Haven't we gone off-topic a little too long now? :lol: