Not sure if this has been posted before -- WC, Despot's apt.

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

chrisssf
NSF

Not sure if this has been posted before -- WC, Despot's apt.

Post by chrisssf »

Hey guys, so i've started over again, and before i joined any factions, went through Despot's apartment (triggering narc infolinks), and anyway, then i sided with WC, the tell you to go back and find his apartment. Well, thing is, if you enter through the normal way, you can't go any further because the wall's caved in, forcing you to ghost. Secondly, another convo with despot never triggers. Thirdly, you can skip going back to despot's and through PDX and go straight to worldcorp hq, trest tells him hes refused, etc. etc. So the goal saying "bribe despot blah blah" remains, and you can go directly back to scara.
8-[

Oh and p.s. I think its the triggering of the convo with despot which causes the aug cannister to spawn in scara's fireplace -- I was wondering why the first time i played (normally) i got one the first time and one the second, and this time I got both the first time he said, look behind the fireplace.

Dunno if you guys wanna fix this, this enabled me to get level 4 cloak very very early in the game.... :P
Javelin
Thug

Re: Not sure if this has been posted before -- WC, Despot's apt.

Post by Javelin »

I'm playing as PDX and been trying to locate Despot's apt..where is it?
Scale
NSF

Post by Scale »

chrisssf wrote:Hey guys, so i've started over again, and before i joined any factions, went through Despot's apartment (triggering narc infolinks), and anyway, then i sided with WC, the tell you to go back and find his apartment. Well, thing is, if you enter through the normal way, you can't go any further because the wall's caved in, forcing you to ghost. Secondly, another convo with despot never triggers. Thirdly, you can skip going back to despot's and through PDX and go straight to worldcorp hq, trest tells him hes refused, etc. etc. So the goal saying "bribe despot blah blah" remains, and you can go directly back to scara.
8-[

Oh and p.s. I think its the triggering of the convo with despot which causes the aug cannister to spawn in scara's fireplace -- I was wondering why the first time i played (normally) i got one the first time and one the second, and this time I got both the first time he said, look behind the fireplace.

Dunno if you guys wanna fix this, this enabled me to get level 4 cloak very very early in the game.... :P

When the cave in happens you just drop through the floor then in the circular room the wall blows out and there is a teleporter there taking you where you have to go.
Or maybe you didn't mean that?
chrisssf
NSF

Post by chrisssf »

Nah i don't mean that sorry. After the ceiling caves in and you fall down, the doorway you enter from as you fall gets blocked off (on both sides, you get teleported to the other side of what im talking about)
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

There's like 3 different cave ins every few steps:

1: Blocks you from going back (The one that he is talking about. He can't move forward because what was once his blocked exit is now his blocked entrance. )
2: drops that big slab in the middle of the room
3: tears away most of the floor.

Also, what if I had just happened to be playing as a master hacker when with PDX? :P
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Why not just go in through the out door? As I recall it does not close, and it would seem to me to be much easier.
chrisssf
NSF

Post by chrisssf »

Thats what I thought immediately after :P
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

I just took a look at this, but I did it by cheating so some of the following might not apply.

A very simple solution would be to shut down the portal from PDX to Despot's apartment. Then the player would be forced to enter the apartment via the exit, and save you the trouble of making any changes to the map.

A big reason not to use the simple solution is that the player is told to go into PDX HQ to find Despot's apartment. They've already found it, so they know where it is, but that doesn't change the fact that the game is directing them into PDX HQ so having PDX HQ be a dead end would be a bad idea.

Assuming you let the player in through the portal in Despot's office the rock that keeps you out of the room where you fall through the floor is a problem. Because, unless I missed something, it traps the player in the apartment's first area with no way out. If you moved it or destroyed it when the floor collapsed that would remove that problem. The player just goes through the way they did the first time.

Alternatively, you could spawn a new portal in the first area when the player fell through the floor. It could function as either a way out of the apartment (which also suffers from making the place the player is directed a dead end), or a way to skip passed the fallen rock.

One possibility that occurs to me is to have the player appear directly in front of Despot and pick up the WorldCorp conversation where Despot says, "what do you want, I'm very busy?" That way it would be like Despot is sick of having the player screwing around in his apartment.

If the player is the one to initiate conversation, and the player is on WorldCorp's bribe Despot mission I recommend having the conversation start with Trest's "I have an offer for you" line.

-

The other area where there might be problems is in the PMs.

When I was looking at this That Guy sent me a PM telling me saying "Hmm... the seismograph shows a slight disturbance behind you, that lever must've opened a door back where you came from." obviously this is a bit of a problem since I pulled that lever before I worked with WC.

(After that I got the ordinary PM for entering Despot's apartment, which was as it should be.)

I didn't try entering via the back door, so I don't know what happens, but if you get the "Hey, your GPS signal is appearing again. I was right, you're somewhere near the old PDX HQ. Cool." when entering via the exit, that should be changed.

-

Maybe you should just disable the map transition unless one of allied_PDX or allied_WC is true. Then the only potential problem is if someone enters the apartment via PDX twice, and you could simply disable the entrance after it was used the first time to solve that.