Maan ShadowCode was flippin' tough.

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Maan ShadowCode was flippin' tough.

Post by Jonas »

TownWithoutJustice wrote:@Jonas - what actually had me thinking for 15 mins was the fire sprinklers - I was damn sure there was something that activated them! Was that intended? ;)
Yeah the sprinklers are activated when there's a fire near them, but they start out off, so you have to push the button on the wall first.
Also, shouldn't Trestkon have destroyed the local machine after dumping the AI there? I did just to be safe :)
Poor ShadowCode :(
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

I have to agree that Shadow Code was tough, but awesome same time. When he is in your head, that was really cool, it was awkward to get him onto the computer.

I had one minor isue when you go to find shadow code. You know on the map where the things go in and out you have to jump on before they go back and you have to get to bottom without falling into water and dying? When you get to bottom to get into the vent to go to next part, I could not seem to get into the vent at all unless I spawned a crate to jump on first.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
Trafalgar
NSF

Post by Trafalgar »

Jonas wrote:Yeah that's a shame, but it's essentially a tech limitation. Finding an actual work-around would've been tremendously hacky.

And now we've killed the fire trap and the turret hallway too, and we've made the electricity room entirely optional (you can go in there if you want to grab some items, but otherwise you can just walk right past it). We're doing this because obstacles where you have to take damage to get through are just plain poor design. Again: My fault.
When I went through the fire-laser-chamber and the flaming box room in 1.0.0, I got through them without taking damage, and without a fire extinguisher. If you just started running as soon as the door opened you could get to the other side before the traps fully activated. With the fire laser room you had to duck under the last laser, but with the boxes, if you started running as soon as the door opened you'd get out without getting caught by the fire. (I had to do this because I had discarded my fire extinguisher earlier and Shadowcode had locked the doors behind me so I couldn't go back for it). I don't think I used the speed aug to help me, but maybe I did.

I was annoyed that I couldn't shoot the boxes or detonate a LAM to destroy them, though. I thought I was stuck because I simply didn't have a fire extinguisher, until I realized that ShadowCode talked for long enough to run through the room before he lit up the boxes.
Jonas wrote: The problem here is redundancy. You don't have to hack all 8 control panels, you only have to hack 4 - and that's the amount of multitools lying around that area. People just sort of assume they have to hack all 8 of them, even though they should be able to hear the door opening when they've hacked 4. Plus, isn't there a countdown!?
The floor opens at the same time - personally I thought the sound belonged to that. I don't remember a countdown (in 1.0.0).
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You know the solution to the fire trap that you just described pretty much requires you to know what's going to happen before it happens, right? The sane reaction is to wait and see what happens, then save your game before going in when the fire has started. And by then you may have fucked yourself over irreversibly.

Anyway, it's fixed now.

As for the panels, you're right: Seems the countdown had been disabled for some reason. It will be back in version 1.0.2.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
TownWithoutJustice
Mole Person

Post by TownWithoutJustice »

Yeah the sprinklers are activated when there's a fire near them, but they start out off, so you have to push the button on the wall first.
damn do i feel stupid...well, I blame lvl 4 speed aug and dislike of fire for missing that detail.

Great job on the 1st patch btw!
"if you can read this, you don't need glasses"
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Jonas wrote:You know the solution to the fire trap that you just described pretty much requires you to know what's going to happen before it happens, right? The sane reaction is to wait and see what happens, then save your game before going in when the fire has started. And by then you may have fucked yourself over irreversibly.

Anyway, it's fixed now.

As for the panels, you're right: Seems the countdown had been disabled for some reason. It will be back in version 1.0.2.
Maybe you could do it like in the movies, shoot the sprinkler button in order for it to activate the sprinklers from afar. 8)

It'd certainly be cooler than just calmly fumbling through a room full of boxes as it is now. Maybe it's because I played the first version, but the turret room and fire room now stick out like a sore thumb. Any plans to replace them with anything? How about people give ideas and then we have a poll? :lol: :P
teknikal
UNATCO

Post by teknikal »

The first iteration of the ShadowCode mission was frustratingly hard, but damn good ingenious fun nonetheless. A truly memorable experience.

Totally digged the Resident Evil movie references ;)
teknikal's gallery: http://teknikal-vision.deviantart.com/
We are the future. Better than kings... gods!
>come join DXFC: The Church of JC: http://deus-ex-fan-club.deviantart.com/
odawali
UNATCO

Post by odawali »

I demand an "I beat Shadow Code on 1.0.0" shirt.
JC_Helios wrote: It'd certainly be cooler than just calmly fumbling through a room full of boxes as it is now. Maybe it's because I played the first version, but the turret room and fire room now stick out like a sore thumb. Any plans to replace them with anything? How about people give ideas and then we have a poll? :lol: :P
Yes, yes, excellent ideas.
teknikal
UNATCO

Post by teknikal »

odawali wrote:I demand an "I beat Shadow Code on 1.0.0" shirt.
Or alternatively a bumper sticker LOL
teknikal's gallery: http://teknikal-vision.deviantart.com/
We are the future. Better than kings... gods!
>come join DXFC: The Church of JC: http://deus-ex-fan-club.deviantart.com/
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

(Note: I only played with 1.0.1)
Well, to offset the incredible amount of Pro-Shadowcode going on here, let me say it was my least favorite part of TNM (okay, second least). Why? Because even if I greatly enjoyed System Shock 2, it's pretty anti-DX to have to work off a series of traps in linear order. The walking around with Shadowcode-sequence sure was cool though.

The puzzle that frustrated me most was the moving lasers one. Just because they didn't activate right away, but when in the middle of the room, and somehow that meant one always hit me straight away before I could even see the laserbeam... and then burn to death. VERY annoying. I got quite agitated, until I noticed a pre-emptive EMP-strike disabled that blasted laser before activation, allowing me to pass.

As for the burning boxes, that sounds very cool. I already wondered what the hell the deal was with that room with the undestructable overflow of boxes, it surely sounds like a shame it's gone. Even though I haven't experienced it myself, allowing to destroy the boxes sounds like a sollution to the afore mentioned issues, and it would add coolness it now lacks.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hassat Hunter wrote:it's pretty anti-DX to have to work off a series of traps in linear order
Yeah, that was the point :P
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
RatherAnnoyed
Mole Person

Post by RatherAnnoyed »

I've been playing TNM for two days and i love it 8) But i can't seem to get past the ai packet puzzle ](*,) Please help me with this?
Image here
edit Numbered one :D Help nuw?
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Doesn't look all that nice, but unless I've confused myself it is a solution.
Attachments
thingy.jpg
RatherAnnoyed
Mole Person

Post by RatherAnnoyed »

thank you soooooooo much :)
Scotch
NSF

Post by Scotch »

Hmm the box room never lit on fire for me, then again I was travelling along the wall border by the sprinkler system, so maybe I never triggered them...

I can proudly proclaim that I survived the resident evil room on my first try, not using any speed augs whatsoever. I also survived the jumping puzzle as well, but I did use speed augs for that.