In This Topic: How to traverse maps quickly.

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Skilgannon
UNATCO

Re: In This Topic: How to traverse maps quickly.

Post by Skilgannon »

Jonas wrote:(Note to everybody: I know TNM's maps are too big, we've already admitted it, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here because you are all lazy scumbags.)
Scumbag yes, lazy? No. How dare you sir. :P
Life is a series of random events designed to strip you of your sanity.

Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

I wish the lollerscates had an on/off button (like hazmat suits in shifter) so that you could put them to real use.

Maybe for patch 1.03 if ye gods be willing?
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

No.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Jonas wrote:Pfft dumbed down doesn't just refer to intelligence, also to how much effort the game expects of you.
Yeah, I'm lazy now. I've recently played some games that I used to play as a kid, and found I couldn't stand how many hundreds of times I'd have to click for example the "sell unit of extra food for cash". And yeah, TNM maps are big, even annoyingly big when the goal is on the other side, but I'm happy to have it back again. I'm so sick of playing FPS games where I'm stuck traveling through miles and miles of hallways, like being strapped to a slow moving mining-cart on rails with a shotgun. Corporate reminds me of Liberty Island; the feeling of a vast open space that the Unreal Engine could generate still impresses me. But yeah, I've still never used the Silent Run augmentation, that's for sure.

Those lollerskates were really cool, and I used them in the downtown below Sol's. It was real fun, until maybe the third lap. It could maybe break some gameplay mechanics, but I think more of them with less time-power could cut tedium. In any case, they're fun and I'm happy with speed augmentation and maybe this lagmonster.
Scotch
NSF

Post by Scotch »

HOW TO MOVE ABOUT THE CITY QUICKLY:

1. Type "fly" in chat.

2. type "setflyspeed 5000"

3. ????

4. PROFIT!!! \:D/
Bulzeeb
Thug

Post by Bulzeeb »

Jonas wrote:Didn't say anything about it being difficult, just expecting you to invest some time and effort in its completion. What would you rather have, TNM levels that are too big so you spend a lot of time walking around or Invisible War levels that are so small you can't play them if you're claustrophobic, and you can't tell the interior maps from the exterior ones? :P
I must confess that I haven't actually played IW; in fact my experience with DX in general has only been fairly recent. But from what I gather, I would much prefer TNM level styles, where a much greater amount of freedom is given. In fact, and I don't mean to sound sycophantic or anything, for some reason I very much like the three sectors that the game revolves around. I dunno, it just feels nice to have maps that are revisitable and stuff in an FPS, where usually it's "You go to this one mission and then the next one and don't ever expect to come back here so take all your crap with you bud"

As for the idea of requiring one to "invest some time and effort", I shall agree with the latter but not the former. I realize that many games, especially RPGs, reward the player for the time spent doing somewhat menial objectives. I myself do not particularly like this style, but in any case, it isn't even the circumstances in which this little technique is being used - that is, situations that require time, but absolutely no effort. Excluding the "speed on jump speed off land" technique, maps are traversed by using W + M-directional, and I see no effort in that. The same argument that you appear to be making in slight jest could be made for arbitrarily increasing loading times; after all, if the load times now take 2 times as long, is not the player contributing more time towards the game?
Typically games with large maps will usually have slow walking to begin with, and eventually add some way to move about quickly once the player has settled in.
Such as... the speed enhancement augmentation? :-s
Eh... I guess. But first off not everyone uses speed enhancement (though why you would use the run silent aug is beyond me as crouched speed enhanced agents more or less move at the same pace anyway), and more importantly, this technique reduces the time taken by only about half. My method reduces it by 90%, assuming that lagmonster 10 speeds up the game 10 times as fast, which I have no real way of confirming.
(Note to everybody: I know TNM's maps are too big, we've already admitted it, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here because you are all lazy scumbags.)
Hey, if you'd just have mentioned this in the F.A.Q. or something we'd have no complaints about map sizes.
Scotch wrote:HOW TO MOVE ABOUT THE CITY QUICKLY:

1. Type "fly" in chat.

2. type "setflyspeed 5000"

3. ????

4. PROFIT!!! \:D/
Had I known about "setflyspeed", I would have made the topic about that cheat instead. Ah well.
"In the end? Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends."
CommanderCain
Thug

Post by CommanderCain »

Well i enjoyed the running around the maps i had no real issue with running about like a crazy person, but that is just what i do, but with all there is to do in TNM just look while you run about and i would guess that you will find something that you missed the 1st or even 2nd time.
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

I admit to using allenergy whenever my energy would get low and I was in a place with no enemies between me and a repair bot... other than that, I was perfectly fine with the map sizes.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

I don't cheat... except 3 certain spawnactions in DXI ;). Oh and opensesame my last game for getting horribly screwed, and godmode this game for being even MORE screwed.

So... I cheat when the game breaks on me 0_0. Don't really got that big a problem with travelling back and forth actually. Then again; I am more used to RPG's like KOTOR than modern day railroad suck... eh... shooters.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Oh, I like lagmonster. That's fun. It makes me want to play the entire game on lagmoster 1.3 or so.

Bulzeeb, check out DX2. If you expect it to be a different game from the first, it's a good game in its own right.
heliosentity101
UNATCO

Post by heliosentity101 »

I'd nearly found out a way to make you move faster in the game without augs or lollerskates , I was messing around with a few commands when i'd bumped into one called " Accelrate" , now this had me thinking , Yay !! Now i can move a lot faster if i increase this ! but when i did , it didn't seem to work :( it seems as though you can only decrease it , to make you , or anybody else move painfully slow , or in worst cases , make them run on the spot ! :lol:

If anyone finds a way to somehow increase your speed when using this , reply here asap ! :)
I eat green beret's for breakfast ! and right now I'M VERY HUNGRY !! acolor]