"Unsupported Reality"

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: "Unsupported Reality"

Post by Jonas »

Alex_KF wrote:And how do you know when the player last saved? DX doesnt have an auto-save system, so what if he had done several hours worth of important quests, and then killed scara before saving.
What if you walked into a concealed LAM and got blown up? What if you fell into a hole and died? What if there was a power outage? Would you come here and shout about it then?

We would've loved to implement an autosave system in TNM, but you know how DX is about savegames. Would you have liked us to automatically put 80 MB of saves on your harddrive every time you move to a new map? Is it really that much to ask that you have the wits to save your game before a fight? If Scara had been invulnerable, everybody would've been pissed off and you might well have been killed by his guards anyway, without achieving anything. Would you still have blamed us for that?
by all means though, your design decision was probably (and since everyone else loved it and im just a demented fan)
flawless. All your design decisions are , because that's what modders tell themselves so they dont have to listen to criticism :)
If I liked to tell myself my design is flawless, I wouldn't have nerfed the hoverbots in patch 1.0.1. Nor would I have disabled three entire traps in the ShadowCode mission. Nor would we have implemented 138 other fixes including the addition of several new pointers and hints in places where people have reported not being sure what they had to do.
"I am a modder . i give people free entertainment. They have no right to comment on my work"
How about "I am a human being who give people free entertainment. I expect them to be nice and polite if they don't like what they get"? Enough with the damn ad hominem already.

Would you scold your friends if they gave you a birthday present you didn't like?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Alex_KF wrote:"I am a modder . i give people free entertainment. They have no right to comment on my work"
You have every right to comment on our work, and in fact we welcome well thought out criticism. However, we prefer when it's given politely.

Your point about losing your game progress is certainly a valid one, and it would be nice if DX *did* have an auto-save on map load function or something similar. Of course, we still like scene, and did what we could to make it an easter egg rather than something everyone would just do and lose their game progress. I also think that claiming we 'tease' the player with freedom and choice is rather untrue, we deliver on it in a rather massive way.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

By that logic we would allow the player to respawn just incase he jumped in a pit of lava after playing for two hours without saving.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

that guy wrote:By that logic we would allow the player to respawn just incase he jumped in a pit of lava after playing for two hours without saving.
You what's something I wish TNM would've done? Had major characters you kill re-reg their account, get some goodies from their faction, and come at you for revenge at some point later on. Like imagining having ZP attack you at four or five different points in the story with new accounts and restocked weapons from WC or a hidden cache he left somewhere. It would trivialize the "Don't kill, knock out" concept but then this is a mod set on an internet forum and you're killing accounts not people so it kinda already is. :P
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

What's worse though is it would kinda ruin the choice & consequence thing we're going for. Avoid a boss fight, and you will meet him later. Knock him out, and you will meet him later. Kill him, and you will... uh, meet him later? Not super interesting, is it?

If you like to kill the same boss over and over again, I recommend the latest Prince of Persia game ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Well, when you kill him he comes back with different stats and equipment and avatar. You could have a mini- "Who's ZP? Which board guest is gonna turn on you when you look away?" sort of tension. :P
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Am I the only one who finds it mildly disturbing to hit Scara with knock out damage not, it's like:

DUN DUN DUN DAAAAHHHH
"We meet again you blasted illogical blue shield of default immunities!!"
"MWAAAHHHHAAAAAHAHAHAH"

and so forth

Couldn't you have at least changed the effect? The blue shield(forcefield) is just so.... sci-fi. Maybe it's just me....

Also I find that the second song on Scara's stereo would be an oddly appropriate song for: Breaking into Scara's office, killing his guards one by one, dodging, and dismantling his turrets, and then plant a number of bullets in his head just before walking into his secret elevator and vanishing forever!... too bad combat music supersedes stereo music
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You know how Scara has had his people research a way to make himself invulnerable like the moderators?

Let's assume immunity to knockout is as far as they've come so far ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Andy.G
Thug

Post by Andy.G »

Personaly I thought the easter egg (if YOU guys call it that I might as well) was a interesting ending to various attempts at knocking off Scara. In fact if you have the right tools (ballistic protection upgraded to level 3, Treskons pistols and a gas grenade) you can just run in and gun while dodging bullets, it's quite thrilling in both executing and escaping.

The Easter egg in itself is like a parent looking down at a child who had done something out of order and is waving the finger at them. Plus I loved the calm nature Treskon has about him, that conversation really helped give him character in my opinion.
Daggsy
NSF

Post by Daggsy »

I've changed my mind. Alex has the right idea.

It's YOUR fault that we did something really stupid and we should be allowed to carry on. Nix the lava in the ruins while you're at it. I kept jumping down there to see if there was something exciting and... it bloody killed me! Stupid mod.

Heh. Nah, it's a nice touch. That's what was better about Morrowind than Oblivion. You kill someone seriously important and you'll get a "You've been retarded, don't save." type message in Morrowind, but people would just go unconscious in Oblivion. Since when does fire make you unconscious? Crappy.

This sums up the very nature of freedom really. You give people freedom in games and they'll do dumb things, because it's FUN.
Ignore anything I just said, I got killed by a foldaway counter in a Downtown coffee shop.
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

Daggsy wrote:I've changed my mind. Alex has the right idea.

It's YOUR fault that we did something really stupid and we should be allowed to carry on. Nix the lava in the ruins while you're at it. I kept jumping down there to see if there was something exciting and... it bloody killed me! Stupid mod.
You sir, are awesome.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Man, if I ever read one more "OMG I MADE A BAD AND I ONLY HAEV TEH ONE SAVE" post from someone, especially (as was the case here) directed at OTP like IT'S UR FAULT...I will kill something.

Seriously. WHAT THE FUCK PEOPLE. Make MORE saves. Saves are EASY TO MAKE.

"I only use quicksave so you'd really screw my game up."

*SLAP* "Don't just use quicksave. Problem magically solved!"

If you're using quicksave only for some sort of fucking bizarre 'honour principle' or something, then you're an idiot. In fact, if you're using quicksave only for ANY fucking reason other than perhaps "saving normally always crashes the game" (who knows, it might happen?), then to be honest, you're an idiot.

It's NOT FUCKING ROCKET SCIENCE.

"I deliberately don't wear shoes, so when I go running and tread on broken glass it really fucking hurts. This is all your fault for making glass breakable. I demand that you fix that. This seems to be the most logical course of events."
Xenu
Mole Person

Post by Xenu »

Maybe not entirely related to the subject, but since Scara's immune to knockout damage now, is there a way to get the key to his stash without having to face the exclamation mark of doom? Or wasn't I even supposed to be able to obtain it?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You weren't :)

So no.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trafalgar
NSF

Post by Trafalgar »

By the way, if you join Worldcorp and do their storyline until Scara gives you the key to his private elevator (doesn't take long, right after you kill silver dragon IIRC), that provides a nice place to launch an assault. I stood in there, and chucked a couple LAMs in front of his desk (from all the way in the elevator, because when I tried to throw them from the doorway they instantly exploded and killed me... probably the ADS). The LAMs exploded, Scara survived, guards came rushing in, I used my one-point-in bullet-resist aug and killed the four or five guards who rushed into the secret room with the dual pistols. Then I just shot Scara in the head from the secret room until he died. Took five or six shots, I think. The guards each only took one shot (on alternate fire, advanced pistol skill).

I stayed in the secret room the whole time, and at no point could any turrets aim at me, plus there was a medbot right in there.