Where to place the freaking spybox?

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Where to place the freaking spybox?

Post by Jonas »

A grand total of one player has reported this, and he came painfully close to figuring it out on his own.

When more people report trouble with this, maybe we'll look at it again.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

A grand total of one player has reported this, and he came painfully close to figuring it out on his own.

When more people report trouble with this, maybe we'll look at it again.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Technically there's a HELL of a lot you do in TNM that never ever cropped up in DX, so that's not a terribly valid argument. :)

EDIT: ACK! Should've been to MrBlack, obv.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Yahoo! Image search!? >.> @ odawali

At least there was a Google one as well... :D

Anyway the server was not hard to find, 'tis behind a door with a lock too strong for ANY player to unlock, I figured "That must be it."

But then again nobody else is me...
Last edited by Kee715 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrBlack
NSF

Post by MrBlack »

The point I'm trying to make, (without creating some back and forth, this isn't getting us anywhere argument), is that in the design and implementation of a game, it's not a great gameplay aesthetic to make the assumption a player will do or know think they should be smart enough.

It's generally the golden rule of explanation or elaborating a point, take writing an essay, it's generally preferred to assume that who will read it knows nothing of the subject, so that the reader won't be lost by you skipping crucial pieces of information.

With your mod, the exception is that you can assume that a player will have played Deus Ex (although some players won't have...), yes there are moments in TNM where you perform tasks which are hardly related to actions in DX, however few of those moments in TNM are un-guided as such.

All I'm saying is that it isn't clear that what surface you need to plant the device on, yes its a server, but taking the rule of assumption, you can't assume the player will know what a server rack is.

One man's server, is another mans PC with internet connection (bad example, but true to the IT illiterate)

I just think there is a difference between telling a deus ex player to explore a world, in the same function as the original deus ex, to setting a critical objective, and if they don't know what a server box is they can either rage quit, post on otp, trial and error on the game itself, or google images...

But Jonas is right, it's only one person raising this point, I personally am backing it up because I made a mental note while playing the game of how unclear it was, and then when I noticed this topic I added to it. I pick out certain things and make mental notes about them, I'm a bit of a game breaker, but that's just me and I find it fun.

And I'm not trying to be aggressive at all, I'll shut up now [/rant]
"It's all good!"
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

I totally agree that it's probably not very intuitive to a lot of players. They haven't been trained to to interact with *textures*. Everything else in the game that can be interacted with has some kind of a highlight box, so imo it's completely understandable to be a bit iffy on what needs to be done here.

But as Jonas said, unless more people start reporting troubles with it we probably won't change it, just because the best solution would be a PM, and we ain't making any more of those :p
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I don't experience you as aggressive, so no worries.

Now I don't want to argue with user experience, but this is from King Kashue's briefing:
Exactly. I think their nearline storage servers are on the second floor. Place the device on any of their servers, activate it with this multitool, and then get back out of there. The device will send all data to us, and we'll be able to look through King's files. It won't be easy though, now you've made enemies with the security crew.
So: Place the spyware on the server, activate it with the multitool.

Same thing repeated in the Spyware Device description:
This discreet little black box is about the size of a closed book, and only decorated with a few blinking LED's and a little panel. It is in fact one of the most state-of-the-art spy-ware devices developed by The Gator Corporation for digital industrial espionage. The most impressive feature of this device is that it is incredibly easy to mount: Place it on the outside of a server (it will automatically attach itself by electro-magnetism) and connect a few wires with a multi-tool. Then it will start picking up the internal transmissions of the server and sending the data to wherever you choose.
Combine that with the map that clearly shows you where the server room is and the fact that there's nothing else in that room that could possibly be the server (and remember Mep_histo even identified the servers as the servers and just didn't know how to place the spyware device on it), I think we can all agree that we've done a lot to make sure you understand those are the servers.

If anything could be done, it's to make sure you understand the device is placed like a wall-mounted grenade, but you would hope the fact that you hold it exactly like a grenade would hint at that, and like I said above: Only one person has reported not being able to figure this out immediately - you honestly can't expect every player to understand everything immediately. Even Valve games have places where some people get stuck ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
deuxhero
UNATCO

Post by deuxhero »

I had trouble figuring it out, but I realized as soon as I check the map (I think it was the map), because I was expecting some indication I reached the objective, because that was pretty much the norm in the base game.

My real problem was it took me a few trys to figure out I needed to activate it with a multitool.
MrBlack
NSF

Post by MrBlack »

You know those posts you make really late at night, and then the following morning you wake up and think "OH GAWD"

Yeah...
"It's all good!"
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

I had a little more trouble with the second server, as it doesn't fit on what looks like a server. Took me a while to find the "lower section" hinted at in the PM, although once I found that it become clearly transparant.

This one had me only a little stumped how to actually get the hell in there (and not immediately die then too due to the gas 0_o)
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
MrBlack
NSF

Post by MrBlack »

Just to let you know, the easiest way to get to it, is by hacking the turret control, setting it to enemies, opening the armoury allowing the turret to kill the spider bot, if you look up above the entrance of the armoury, there is a vent, go in there and voila! No silly gas room
"It's all good!"