D'you guys ever have moral/ethical qualms?

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

~Psychotic~
Silhouette

Re: D'you guys ever have moral/ethical qualms?

Post by ~Psychotic~ »

Rex wrote:I almost never had moral things in games. Mass effect for example - nothing, i just play as anyone, kill any freind. No big deal.
Empire earth: the heroes in there sometimes make me a bit sad, like grigor in russian mis. 3.. he was so poor.. And alexander ending of greeks.. cry after defeting everyone..

Now the tnm.. not too much. But killing all that people, Jonas, Winq, Ghand.. etc. was a bit more.. confusing then killing army of nameless bastard scara's guards.

The only game that made me see some moral was Fable:the lost chapters - moment when you must decide between sword of aeons or the life of your sister, liked that because she didn't resist.. and she herself told me to kill her if i just want. That was briliant, I became a good guy after that.
Oh? I would've killed her.
When I was younger I knew a motherfucker like you!
Rex
Silhouette

Post by Rex »

Yea but basicly I was happy i do what i want, and what others don't want me to do, and she was just like 'whatever, kill me if you want so'.
Jonas(about Rex and Jaedar) wrote:I'm not sure what the fuck just happened, but you guys managed to finally find a way to be too off topic for OTP, and when I tried to split the thread... I failed.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Rex wrote:Yea but basicly I was happy i do what i want, and what others don't want me to do, and she was just like 'whatever, kill me if you want so'.
It was pretty much the only decent moral choice in the game. Unless you have lost chapters, in which case it is nullified since you still get the sword even if you don't kill her, just five minutes later.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

The greatest blunder in Fable was when you had to choose between killing or sparing your old childhood friend, and even if you spared her life, she disappeared out of the game anyway, making the choice completely meaningless... :-s

They should've taken a clue from Deus Ex: even a single reappearance later in the game can make a huge difference.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:The greatest blunder in Fable was when you had to choose between killing or sparing your old childhood friend, and even if you spared her life, she disappeared out of the game anyway, making the choice completely meaningless... :-s
But it changed one line of dialogue! And as we all know, dialogue is the most important element of an action rpg.
odio ergo sum
Rex
Silhouette

Post by Rex »

And everyone was "oh! YOU SAVED HER! hero!"
The greatest blunder in Fable was when you had to choose between killing or sparing your old childhood friend
Who?

And yea, getting avo's sword just after that is a bit idiotic.. especialy it has SAME ALL attributes.
Jonas(about Rex and Jaedar) wrote:I'm not sure what the fuck just happened, but you guys managed to finally find a way to be too off topic for OTP, and when I tried to split the thread... I failed.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Rex wrote: Who?
Whisper, if I recall. The black chick with the spear.
odio ergo sum
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Jaedar wrote:
Rex wrote: Who?
Whisper, if I recall. The black chick with the spear.
Why did I just google that?

ARGH!!!
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Rex
Silhouette

Post by Rex »

Yy.. whisper.. FRIEND? *error* She confess that she done all that crappy thing because was angry about simple farmboy being better and her brother wanted her to be best. She was not too much of a friend.
Delta2501
UNATCO

Post by Delta2501 »

On topic: I was surprised how much moral qualms I had when playing (not because I'm unpleasant myself, just thought I'd be insensitive to it). Apart from some ABI guys I hardly killed any enemies except firewalls on my WC playthrough. On my first PDX playthrough I got almost trigger happy in ABI until I met the office guy who asked me not to hurt his friends and ended up going non-lethal for the rest of the mission.

The worst part was the torture and death of Kevo (the indicator says he's dead), especially as I could have got to the copter and opened the door with level 4 Speed Enhancement anyway. I felt really awful when I saw the bloody interrogator, especially when I saw Kevo was marked as dead, and slashed the interrogator with DD's firesword. I would normally hesitate to do that to a game character but felt a guy who admitted to enjoying that deserved to run around on fire. Similarly I was in a bit of an off mood when starting IW and after being asked to murder someone by the club owner (soon after another suggestion by someone I committed arson) I was disgusted and shot the guy in the face before quitting.

Note I'm not an uptight/pacifist gamer or anything generally, which is why I was surprised I felt so bad playing WC etc.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

You don't have to kill kevo though.
If you knock him out, another path will open to you.
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:You don't have to kill kevo though.
If you knock him out, another path will open to you.
It... will? What path?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Fair enough, I was thinking of something else. It is possible to keep kevo alive though.

Though I never managed to do it without a vortex 'nade
odio ergo sum
Delta2501
UNATCO

Post by Delta2501 »

How? And what do weapons have to do with it? I always thought it was odd for a Deus Ex inspired game to have a point where you have to kill someone, if only indirectly, to proceed.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

If you don't want to kill anybody, don't join WorldCorp.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine