D'you guys ever have moral/ethical qualms?

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: D'you guys ever have moral/ethical qualms?

Post by Jonas »

~Psychotic~ wrote:Something does not have to be released for it to be rated and therefore be overrated.
Overrated compared to what? Compared to what it's actually like, presumably. If you haven't played it, you don't know what it's like, so you don't know whether it lives up to that.

Besides, a huge group of people (who also haven't played it, mind) insists that L4D2 is a rushed money-grabbing piece of worthless junk, which doesn't seem to be a very high rating of the game.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote: Besides, a huge group of people (who also haven't played it, mind) insists that L4D2 is a rushed money-grabbing piece of worthless junk, which doesn't seem to be a very high rating of the game.
On the other hand, two of the most vocal members of this group were invited by Valve to play it, at which point they immidiately changed their minds. Overrated? It would seem underrated.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
~Psychotic~
Silhouette

Post by ~Psychotic~ »

Jonas wrote:Besides, a huge group of people (who also haven't played it, mind) insists that L4D2 is a rushed money-grabbing piece of worthless junk, which doesn't seem to be a very high rating of the game.
It is, in my opinion. But there are many Valve fan-boy's. As there are with anything. There will always be people who like something.
When I was younger I knew a motherfucker like you!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

~Psychotic~ wrote:It is, in my opinion. But there are many Valve fan-boy's. As there are with anything. There will always be people who like something.
Uh... I'm sorry, I don't think you read me right. The people who are boycutting L4D2 without ever having played it are not rating it highly.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
~Psychotic~
Silhouette

Post by ~Psychotic~ »

Jonas wrote:
~Psychotic~ wrote:It is, in my opinion. But there are many Valve fan-boy's. As there are with anything. There will always be people who like something.
Uh... I'm sorry, I don't think you read me right. The people who are boycutting L4D2 without ever having played it are not rating it highly.
Hm. I used the wrong term.

Hype would be a better one.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hype works yeah, but it's still not possible to tell whether it's overhyped, underhyped, or hyped just right until you've actually played it.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
~Psychotic~
Silhouette

Post by ~Psychotic~ »

How 'bout all 3?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Now you're just taking the piss.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
~Psychotic~
Silhouette

Post by ~Psychotic~ »

Jonas wrote:Now you're just taking the piss.
Yes.
Delta2501
UNATCO

Post by Delta2501 »

I remembered another almost inevitable casualty of taking the WC side. NVSHacker either rejoins WorldCorp and is killed (I read his body is in the cells on day 2) or joins PDX and is fried by ROFL. The only way to save him is the Ryan ending. Guy doesn't have a lot of luck does he? That Catch 22 helps underline what an unpleasant side you're working for.
Delta2501
UNATCO

Post by Delta2501 »

Does anyone slightly worry when they think about how amused they are when stuff explodes/is smashed in an action film or the villain meets a suitably sticky end? The visceral thrill of seeing stuff smashed in a car chase etc. may be seen as sign of a baser destructive nature, though even if one exists that doesn't matter so long as it is suppressed.

I wouldn't advocate censorship and think there is a huge exaggeration in saying games make people do bad things, but as someone who's imagined running around with a portal gun or that there is a thief-style visibility meter on a night-time stroll (only after playing the games obviously) I can sort of imagine how someone who spends more time in games than reality might get a slightly skewed view of the latter. Note I'm not saying this is the case for more than a tiny minority of seriously weird gamers but that there may be a grain of truth somewhere in the dungheap of anti-game exaggeration and paranoia.

[note this is just some rambling random thoughts from a late night, not sure I'll agree with it myself come the morning.]

Edit: Just after writing this post I noticed my status changed from "Bum" to "Thug". How poignant...
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Thug, I really do think that people who are inclined to do criminal/ violent acts will do so irrespective of the game playing. They could be playing Bejeweled and still be thinking of mischief making imo. I do concede that in a miniscule percentage that a game may warp their thinking but there would have to be some associative disorder as well I think.
Last edited by bobby 55 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Delta2501
UNATCO

Post by Delta2501 »

I guess so. But don't forget I just proved spending too much time on a gaming forum turns you into a thug! :)
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Delta2501 wrote:I guess so. But don't forget I just proved spending too much time on a gaming forum turns you into a thug! :)
And a rambling foul mouth cynic (me) :mrgreen:
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Delta2501
UNATCO

Post by Delta2501 »

If this is what happens to people no wonder Forum City is in such a state at the start of the game. :?

[dammit, even I've started using smilies now! Grrrr!]