How do I get into WC's basement that "doesn't exist"?

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

ZIGS
NSF

How do I get into WC's basement that "doesn't exist"?

Post by ZIGS »

I looked everywhere
chrisssf
NSF

Re: How do I get into WC's basement that "doesn't exist"?

Post by chrisssf »

Basement? If you're looking for the llama guy (or dragon), hes actually in the parking lot. If you're looking for the one where you're either finding the UC or That Guy to upload the thing, you can get in from the sewers or go the WC elevator and use multitools on the pad to go down to the lower level.
jellyfish
NSF

Post by jellyfish »

Or you can go through the green parking garage, there's a vent shaft on the wall that leads down.
ZIGS
NSF

Post by ZIGS »

Thanks guys
Thehotdogman
NSF

Post by Thehotdogman »

I get as far as getting into the lower level, but i can't find ThatGuy's computer terminal. I cleared out the two bots, looked at the broken retinal scan, and even tried to explore the broken up mine/elevator/ shaft/makeshift walkway thing. I couldn't find anything.

I've got a nano key and an override code for some sort of hatch but i've not yet had the opportunity to use either.
Daedalus:GlobalNode:UN//UNATCO//PUBLIC//923.128.6430/ForumPost
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Try blowing things up.
Mr. Poppalopolis
Mole Person

Post by Mr. Poppalopolis »

How do I get in through the sewers, since I'm already down there? I have explored the whole area and found the room underneath the really hot steam room, but that's the closest thing I found to the nonexisting basement.

Nice job on the sewers by the way, they're pretty big. I guess that's what 7 years of work gets you.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Thank you, the corporate sewers is the one map in TNM that I created entirely by myself from start to finish (though ZeroPresence created the room with the WorldCorp entrances for me). I did my best to make them not just your standard drab, repetitive, uninteresting sewer level. It's a divisive level in terms of design philosophy though, so I'd like to get a proper discussion about it going later, when more people have played it, so I can gather some opinions.

Anyway, the thing about the sewers is that you're not meant to go down there looking for something, because you'll get lost and have a miserable time. It's best if you just mess about and find stuff by accident.

It's also incredibly difficult to describe how you can find the secret sublevel from the sewers, but a far easier way to do it is go back to WorldCorp and find the ventilation shaft in the wall in the middle level of the parking garage. That'll lead you back down to the part of the sewers where the entrance to the sublevel is.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
jellyfish
NSF

Post by jellyfish »

My biggest gripe about sewer/ventilation things in general is that it's very easy to get lost. You can only imagine poor maintenance crews disappearing forewer in there. Some wall markings or coordinate system wouldn't hurt, like this is tunnel A and this is tunnel 1 and they intersect at junction A1. Something that would help to tell them apart, it's quite annoying when you think you've found a new passage only to realize 2 minutes later that you've already been here and basically going in circles.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Weren't you warned that it is fucking crazy to go into the sewers ahead of time?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

The sewers were basically designed as a maze, you're meant to get utterly lost if you leave the main tunnels that connect the manholes, but considering there are something like 7 or 8 exits from that map, "getting lost" may mean "not being able to find everything", but it should never mean "not being able to get back out".

It's basically a "bonus dungeon". There's nothing down there that you need in order to get through the game or even to complete a side mission. There's some content hidden away to reward people who like to just explore at the cost of everything else, and there's a generous helping of items and ammo and weapon mods distributed around the place to keep you interested, but it's far from compulsory.

I'm not saying it's an unproblematic design - we faced some challenges during playtesting, which I discussed on my blog, you might find it interesting if you're into game design:
http://rooc.offtopicproductions.com/blo ... he-sewers/

But I will say I think I succeeded in making the various parts of the sewers pretty different from each other. There's the main tunnel which is your average sewer area, then there's a water treatment area made of bricks and pipes, there are some pressure control facilities made of concrete, there's the Absurdly Spacious Pump Station 07, there are the claustrophobic and metallic WorldCorp ventilation systems, etc. Textures, lighting, and architecture varies considerably from area to area, at least in my opinion. I'm sorry if you think it all looks the same.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr. Poppalopolis
Mole Person

Post by Mr. Poppalopolis »

Nice job on the sewers Jonas, I would've expected that to be one of the whole-team maps, since they're so big and complex. I don't think it's very easy to get lost in the sewers, since there are exits in every corner of the map basically, but when I heard that it was crazy it go in the sewers, and I would get lost, I just had to go down. That's what made Deus Ex fun, being able to do stuff the complicated way. I'd say after an hour or two of gameplay, I know where most of the pipes and shafts lead, so I'll probably go down there again and try to find how to get into WC.

Edit: Ahh, I totally missed the power control room. Got it now.
Xenesis
Mole Person

Post by Xenesis »

Can I get a more specific guide to finding the WC basement?

I've been lost down here trying to find it for three goddamn hours, even with using ghost. I entered from the Carpark vent from WC.
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

The first room after entering the sewers from the car park.. There's a big spider bot; kill it while it is patrolling over the vent cover or push the explosive barrel over to it and shoot. From there it's pretty straight forward.

The dead mechanic(near the blue beams, turret, and three bots) also has a key to that vent, and there is another alternate route there as well.
Xenesis
Mole Person

Post by Xenesis »

...that was it?

Excuse me, I need to go murder someone now.