Unofficial: Suggestions, Gameplay Help, and Questions topic.

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Re: Unofficial: Suggestions, Gameplay Help, and Questions topic.

Post by Jetsetlemming »

You could spice them up by having them charge a 50 credit toll. :P
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Trust me, we had some long and convoluted discussions about whether to charge for transportation in TNM, and the reasons not to charge are far better than the reasons to charge.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

These are local transportation booths that the player can easily bypass just by walking, though. The concept's pure convenience. :P
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Which makes charging for them fairly self-defeating.

Here, we've added these to save you time. BUT THEY COST MONEY! HAH! Not so convenient now, are they!?

Anyway it's not getting done. Not by us at least. Maybe somebody will mod it in some time.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I'm actually thinking about it, it'd be simple enough for me to throw in, but I've got a nagging thought in the back of my head that Shifter has some way to drop entities in a map without actually changing the map and wouldn't it be cool not to have to rebuild and redistribute six huge as shit maps for TNM? :P

50 cred convenience charge is something that people would gladly use as there's no real shortage of cash in TNM, and it has no "oh shit we're stuck" issues since they can be bypassed at the cost of time.
odawali
UNATCO

Post by odawali »

Jetsetlemming wrote:50 cred convenience charge is something that people would gladly use as there's no real shortage of cash in TNM
But then you could just as easily say since there's no real shortage to bio energy in TNM, people should gladly use their speed augs to run around. If that were true, transportation wouldn't be an issue in the first place.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jetsetlemming wrote:I'm actually thinking about it, it'd be simple enough for me to throw in, but I've got a nagging thought in the back of my head that Shifter has some way to drop entities in a map without actually changing the map and wouldn't it be cool not to have to rebuild and redistribute six huge as shit maps for TNM? :P
While I obviously understand the reluctance to start modding a mod, you wouldn't have to rebuild the maps if you add in some teleporters controlled by a button. It's only if you change the geometry or the lighting that you have to rebuild.

In fact it'd be a piece of cake to add some taxis to the game and make them teleport you around if you frob them. I just don't like the idea :P
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I can't think of a real good way to mark out of teleportation button so that players would clearly recognize the landmark without altering geometry or making a custom model just for the Search booth. Maybe just putting the button on a wall and then stick a taxi model downscaled to like .2x size and rotating above it in the air.
odawali wrote:
Jetsetlemming wrote:50 cred convenience charge is something that people would gladly use as there's no real shortage of cash in TNM
But then you could just as easily say since there's no real shortage to bio energy in TNM, people should gladly use their speed augs to run around. If that were true, transportation wouldn't be an issue in the first place.
Once you have the speed aug, transportation ISN'T an issue. The vast majority of the complaints with the giganto-maps is from first impressions of new players. You don't get the speed aug until (If I remember correctly, and this is just for PDX) after your third mission or so, and even then some people might choose Run Silent.
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

You get Speed Enhancement pretty early on in both story lines, and there are plenty of aug upgrade canisters around throughout the game.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jetsetlemming wrote:I can't think of a real good way to mark out of teleportation button so that players would clearly recognize the landmark without altering geometry or making a custom model just for the Search booth. Maybe just putting the button on a wall and then stick a taxi model downscaled to like .2x size and rotating above it in the air.
You suggested using the BSP hole graphic yourself. That would work. Any sprite could be used without having to rebuild the maps, and a big hovering ball of energy would stand out :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Jonas wrote:
Jetsetlemming wrote:I can't think of a real good way to mark out of teleportation button so that players would clearly recognize the landmark without altering geometry or making a custom model just for the Search booth. Maybe just putting the button on a wall and then stick a taxi model downscaled to like .2x size and rotating above it in the air.
You suggested using the BSP hole graphic yourself. That would work. Any sprite could be used without having to rebuild the maps, and a big hovering ball of energy would stand out :)
I was under the impression that the BSP Hole effect was simply a texture on a 2d brush, set to non-solid and a teleporter stuck underneath it. :P
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Call the hovering ball of transportation a link. Have to maintain the setting after all.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jetsetlemming wrote:I was under the impression that the BSP Hole effect was simply a texture on a 2d brush, set to non-solid and a teleporter stuck underneath it. :P
Nope, it's a "Scaled Sprite" actor. That's why it looks the same from any angle :)
chris the cynic wrote:Call the hovering ball of transportation a link. Have to maintain the setting after all.
Hahah, nice!
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
odawali
UNATCO

Post by odawali »

Give Trestkon a Bookmark which functions like a KOTOR warp band.
Use ammo type key to cycle through preset destinations, and fire to activate. Works only within FC.
Last edited by odawali on Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Jonas wrote:
chris the cynic wrote:Call the hovering ball of transportation a link. Have to maintain the setting after all.
Hahah, nice!
And have one link labeled: "How to get on the boat." Which teleports you high above the city to inevitably be gibbed when you hit the ship in downtown.