Suggestion: EMP weapons should disable laser emitters ...

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Mep_histo
NSF

Suggestion: EMP weapons should disable laser emitters ...

Post by Mep_histo »

... like in DX IW. Shooting at or hitting a laser emitter with an EMP enhanced weapon should disable them temporarily or permanently (yes, I know the grenade does). It seemskind of self-evident. Or did I perhaps not correctly use this pistol?

Example:

Yes, I know that you can pass this one crouched. ;)
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Re: Suggestion: EMP weapons should disable laser emitters ...

Post by Jetsetlemming »

The EMP pistol is already pretty much a monster of a weapon (after getting it I pretty much didn't have to worry about a single mechanical enemy outside hoverbots, milbots, and turrets ever again), don't you think that'd be just a little overpowered?
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

RAWR! use my topic! :P That's what it's there for...

Shifter's EDS aug(copy of the IW aug you mentioned) had a problem with disabling lasers(because the hitbox (or whatever) for them in Deus ex is very very small), as I recall it was fixed by giving the imbued melee weapons a tiny emp radius/splash(it shows up visually as a small spark). I suppose the same could be done for the pistol, but having the EMP do mild radius/splash damage might kind of go against it being a laser weapon.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jetsetlemming wrote:The EMP pistol is already pretty much a monster of a weapon (after getting it I pretty much didn't have to worry about a single mechanical enemy outside hoverbots, milbots, and turrets ever again), don't you think that'd be just a little overpowered?
QFT

Same goes for the EMP gloves.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mep_histo
NSF

Post by Mep_histo »

JC_Helios wrote:RAWR! use my topic! :P That's what it's there for...
Sorry, where is it? Please feel free to move and merge this thread then.

edit: Oh, I guess it's the sticky one on top, my bad!
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

It's the stickied topic at the top :). and I'm not a mod, so I can't do anything. I was just joking anyhow....

IRT Jonas: I understand not being able to punch out a laser emitter without setting it off and stuff...but I do hope there's still some plans to get it to work on Cameras, alarm panels, turrets, etc. Oh and spider bots, last time I checked EMP gloves didn't work on them.
Trafalgar
NSF

Post by Trafalgar »

I conserved my EM pistol ammo where possible in my PDX playthrough, and it was great, but in my worldcorp playthrough I ran out before day 2 - I think before DXI even - and haven't really found any more. Of course I haven't been exploring as much as I did in my PDX playthrough.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

The problem with laser and beam triggers is they're set to bProjtarget=false, which means that any trace weapons never actually hit them.

Which is a bit of an arse, really. I'm not sure if it's an oversight or a deliberate design decision, though. :/
Blade sword
NSF

Post by Blade sword »

I think it is IMO, it's like the turrets can't be affected by a weapon with a damage under 50, I think the developpers wanted a player that want to infiltrate will use the multitools or the lockpicks instead of using the guns as a tool. I the case of lasers the multitools
I think there is only the explosives and the EMP that can deal with laser beams.
I'm not certain but I think it was deliberate.

This is just my opinion after all, so what do you think about that, i got wrong or it's a probability ?