IRC Embarassment

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

santherus
Thug

IRC Embarassment

Post by santherus »

...Was it only me who logged into IRC in TNM expecting an Eliza-like set of bots only to find out that the IRC client was, in fact, an honest-to-gosh actual IRC client? :oops:

Apologies if Helios who I met on line is reading this: I hope this goes some way to explaining why a complete stranger suddenly started demanding the current date and time from him/her one afternoon...

I spotted a fake IRC elsewhere, but didn't manage to get the full text as I was hacking the PC at the time. Fun stuff.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: IRC Embarassment

Post by Trestkon »

Definitely not only you ;) We've had tons of people logon thinking we were all bots!
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

And maybe some of us are?

Incidentally, can I interest you in some h3rb4ll v14gr444?
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

People logged in with names such as fagballs and said things that made no sense many of them profane or obscene. Though, if I remember correctly, fagballs apologized eventually when he/she/it/they realized it was real.
robocop
Thug

Post by robocop »

I guess your firewall isn't up to scratch, santherus - mine pulled me out of the game the instant I logged into the IRC, and asked if tnm.exe should have internet privileges. This instantly told me the IRC was real.

Pity no one is ever on the IRC when I am. When do people go on there?
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

I'm to shy to get on the IRC :oops:
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

My PC with TNM is too internetless to join IRC :'(.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

The most embarrassing thing I did in the IRC is call everyone a lurker and flip the bird to them all, which is this emoticon BTW: t(-_-)t
Skilgannon
UNATCO

Post by Skilgannon »

Kee715 wrote:t(-_-)t
I can't see it. IRC is a cool idea, though I never use it. :)
Life is a series of random events designed to strip you of your sanity.

Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Skilgannon wrote:
Kee715 wrote:t(-_-)t
I can't see it.
Imagine the t's are the arms + hands. The point where the two lines join is supposed to be the start of the hand.
The bar represents the closed fingers, while the part above it is the middle finger.
Skilgannon
UNATCO

Post by Skilgannon »

Oh yeah. See it now. Ty. :D
Life is a series of random events designed to strip you of your sanity.

justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

That IRC client is hilarious. I hadn't realized it was real either, expected it was chatbots, but I haven't logged in (haven't really tried the applications yet). Some chatlogs would be fun, provided the names are changed to protect the amusing.
robocop wrote:I guess your firewall isn't up to scratch; mine pulled me out of the game the instant I logged into the IRC, and asked if tnm.exe should have internet privileges.
I used to have that, back when I distrusted Windows more. I used Sygate IIRC. All the software firewalls I tried (apart from IPFW and to a degree IPChains) were terrible, and often broke winsock. I always liked the per-application firewall concept though. This unexpected TNM IRC feature catches me at a time when I'm worried about computer security. I'll have to check my router to see if I can default-deny or whitelist outgoing ports since I still don't trust Windows; I used to whitelist in IPFW, but DNS kind of neutered it. Looks like I'm still getting constant portscans for 135 and 445 ;-). Stupid Windows.