D'you guys ever have moral/ethical qualms?

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: D'you guys ever have moral/ethical qualms?

Post by bobby 55 »

Hahahaha! All is well we are not like the others.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Delta2501 wrote:Then I'd have a legitimate reason to be a pacifist WC employee. This was kinda what I did on my WC game (avoid killing except Firewalls)
As has been pointed out, it is literally impossible to be a pacifistic WorldCorp employee, since to even join WorldCorp, you have to kill Silver Dragon or cause his death. That's no different from what you do to Kevo.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Delta2501
UNATCO

Post by Delta2501 »

Hang on, does knocking out interogator AJ trigger the same message? If so maybe you could plasma him to get his attention or that of one of the guards and have them open the door from the inside? I noticed guards have the ability to open locked doors in DX (like Anna opening the door in UNATCO escape) so I was wondering if the same might work here.

As for SD I'm guessing he can't be incapacitated so you'd probably have to "accidentally" ensure the WC guards kill him. I mean isn't it your duty to put them out if a dragon sets them on fire?

Alternatively someone might mistake SD for an enemy if they haven't been paying attention/don't put 2 and 2 together/never talked to Kashue/Scara. Picture the scene:

"I was just wandering into the car park to see if my character had any cool wheels to complement the guns he left in his locker where I saw this monster than had killed many presumably innocent if slightly-heavily-armed humans.

Naturally I was frightened and felt the need to defend myself despite the cross-hairs appearing green (after all the same happened with Maggie Chow in Versalife where she acted all amible at first just to get close and stab me with a DT!).

Then the city's invincible bigwig threatened me via PM and I was so scared I ran to the amiable looking Simpsons character I knew nothing bad about because I don't talk to NPCs."

It could happen, couldn't it?
Last edited by Delta2501 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

ROFL ....... I can't speak for anyone else, but it appears you're going to fit in very nicely around here. :D
Delta2501
UNATCO

Post by Delta2501 »

"How did I get to Versalife in DX without talking to NPCs I hear you ask. Well mummy said not to talk to strangers but that doesn't count in DX as the people aren't real. However in TNM characters are based on real people, real stangers. Given that my ensuing misadventures following this debacle included meeting amoral, foul-mouthed meglomaniacs, trigger-happy security thugs and a guy who tortures people for fun I now fully understand why strangers are dangerous. My therapist says this game caused my inability to develop interpersonal skills and said mummy should sue the developers."
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Hahaha! I thought the boogey man was bad, what a pussy he is in comparison.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

If you do play through as World Corp planing a minimum body-count coup (SD, Kevo/AJ, no one else) then when you you'll find yourself faced with a choice at the end, is power worth murdering all of your old friends (less Wolfy, Kylie and AO) who happen to be a group of volunteers dedicated to making the city a better place, or are you willing to give up that power to avoid their deaths? With the added complication that if saving them means plunging the city and world into chaos, and killing them means the end of freedom for the entire planet on a level you didn't even know was possible when you started.

This is, of course, assuming you heard Ryan out. If you didn't do that then you've burnt your bridges. You have two options only (well ... three if you've unlocked the hidden ending) you can go through with it, or you can take a meta way out (stop playing, cheat, create a mod of the mod in which you can somehow salvage the situation even at that point, so forth.)

-

When I played through as World Corp by the time I got to the end I was so disgusted with myself/Trest I didn't even consider Scara's ideas I followed Ryan's directions and saved DD (I had to knock him unconscious and carry him off the damned space station.) I also broke the game, but that was only because I was a beta tester.
Delta2501
UNATCO

Post by Delta2501 »

I guess I have you to thank for a bug-free exit on the second WC ending where I did the same (drag unconscious DD all the way back to the shuttle after starting the reaction for Ryan, using the tunnels to avoid a somewhat disgruntled Kylie). I'm not even sure if I needed to do that to have him in the ending but it made sense logically.

It would have been nice if you could still choose to help PDX in the end and have Trest "reveal" he's been a double agent all along, but the rest of his dialogue up to that point (and the fact that he may have already killed everyone in PDX) might somewhat undermine that. Likewise it would be nice if Trest could about turn at the end of PDX games and delete the moderators and seize/give Scara control, but that would kind of remove part of the reason to play both sides.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

I have gone on about how I think you should be able to join PDX at the end of a WC playthrough often enough that I'm not going to repeat it here.

I don't think the same holds for joining WC at the end of a PDX playthrough. Scara has reason to think he is going to win until pretty near the end (or all the way to the end if you don't kill Kylie) and, given his personality, probably falls into "This is impossible" denial mode when Kylie dies. When he has his chance to convert you he decides not to use it for a reason that makes perfect sense (he thinks Kylie will kill you.)

Scara thinks he has the upper hand, he's got no reason to cut you in.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

When playing WC I like to ban Scara, kill Ryan, and 'nuke' PDX. That makes me a murdering megalomaniac, but there aren't any disloyalty issues. lol.

With DD at the space station, I waited an eternity for him before launching, got fed up and hit the escape key, and the end scenes still followed.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Heh, don't you get conversation options to either take off without DD or wait for him before taking off when you use the shuttle?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jonas wrote:Heh, don't you get conversation options to either take off without DD or wait for him before taking off when you use the shuttle?
I can't remember hearing / seeing one, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I could have missed that easily knowing me.
Grammatolatry
MJ12

Post by Grammatolatry »

You get to actually launch? At the end of the PDX and WC sides it's gone to the cutscenes straight from the ROFL console.
wink wonk
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

If you side with Ryan you have to get back to your shuttle before the space station explodes.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Grammatolatry wrote:You get to actually launch? At the end of the PDX and WC sides it's gone to the cutscenes straight from the ROFL console.
It happened to me when I was playing WC but banned Scara and went for the Ryan ending. That was pre the 1.03 patch if that is at all relevant.
Too slow Bob :smile: