Your most stupid death

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Zodiac
Thug

Re: Your most stupid death

Post by Zodiac »

Yeah, red greasels. I don't understand the point of releasing caged monsters when they can kill your enemies and yourself. But then again, I do like releasing things that kill whatevers following you so you can get away. Especially when they are bots. I use scramble grenades on the spider bot in the basement of Phasmatis' apartment building :)

In Deus Ex, there were caged karkians in the MJ12 facility that would kill the MJ12 troops and the scientists (the scientists actually had a green reticle when it was placed upon them), but the karkians themselves were actually your allies.

inside the nanotech labs, there are greasels locked up. You can release them, and they'll kill the MJ12 troopers and the scientists once more, but these greasels are not your friends.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

In Versalife there were greasels that would be your friends if you released them.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

chris the cynic wrote:In Versalife there were greasels that would be your friends if you released them.
I released them and the ensuing mayhem was hilarious, but they never killed any MIB or WIB which was my plan. When I shot through that vent and up the ladder I mis-timed a jump and fell to my death.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

They should be? Both the MJ12 Karkians and VersaLife Greasels were hostile to me (GOTY).
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Yeah I didn't stay in the room after I released them so I don't know either way.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Lets see now.

When I first played the game, I died from running away.

Various LAW misjudgements of distance

LAMS not going where they should.

Various falls

I fell by accident while trying to merge with Helios. <_<

I got killed by a fire barrel.

Gunther has killed me 15 times.

Anna killed me 24 times.

Lebedev killed me in some bizzare Unreal failure.

Leo Gold has killed me twice.

NSF: ~100 JC: 50

I get crushed by lifts a lot.

Various other mistakes.

OVER TO TNM!

Vortex Grenades

BSP holes

Phasmatis on the first level.

The Narciuss Entity killed me about 3 times.

Jonas hasn't killed me, but I have killed him many times.

Kashue about 5 times.

Despot's Apartment killed me 3 times.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Delta2501
UNATCO

Post by Delta2501 »

I've got mauled by the rotating blades in Depot's appartment lots of times. It would be nice if they were destructible like the fans in Old Server Complex.
heliosentity101
UNATCO

Post by heliosentity101 »

I fully agree here :| i just cant get my timing right with that obstacle :( this should be in the 1.0.4 patch !!
I eat green beret's for breakfast ! and right now I'M VERY HUNGRY !! acolor]
TheConEgo
Thug

Post by TheConEgo »

On the hunt for Despot's apartment (WC storyline of course) I was laughing my ass off that Ghand had won the 'spontaneous combustion game' when he ran into me and set me on fire. I still love him.
Didn't the real life Ghandiah die? :(
There are three types of people in this world; those who can count, and those who cannot.

Welcome to where time stands still
No one leaves and no one will
Moon is full, never seems to change
Just labeled mentally deranged
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

TheConEgo wrote:Didn't the real life Ghandiah die? :(
Quite unfortunately, yes.
Skee
Thug

Post by Skee »

I think I win.

I got killed by the Noob King... :cry:

Go ahead, point n' laugh.
~Protracted suicide of reason~
JizzyJeff
UNATCO

Post by JizzyJeff »

This isn't a death, but I was running out of the DXI server area and ran into the glass doors.
My name is not Jeff.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Xesum wrote:I get crushed by lifts a lot.
I hate all this about Deus Ex. There's so many utterly stupid ways to die. I realize that mindless beings would die quickly in modern life, but controlling a videogame character is disorienting and we don't have the control that's available in real life. I absolutely can't stand it when I eliminate an army, and then instantly die from an elevator door. I either end up not playing anymore, or turning god mode on. I think the elevator in Phasmatis' apartment killed me once. That was a short playthrough. It's a game, and pointless instadeath frustration isn't fun for me.
firechief.com wrote:There are approximately 600,000 elevators in the United States, or about 12,000 in each state. There are 120 billion rides on elevators and escalators each year. Out of those 120 billion rides, about 10,000 people end up in an emergency room due to elevator- or escalator-related accidents.
There's another statistic on the internet that thirty people die yearly from elevators. JC/Trestkon characters are just really lucky to be among them so often.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

justanotherfan wrote:It's a game, and pointless instadeath frustration isn't fun for me.
Depends how you define pointless. The trouble is the Unreal engine doesn't handle elevators very well, and even with Carone's ridiculously complicated system to manage the interdependency between the lifts themselves and the inner and outer doors on authentic elevators, if something gets in the way of the door, it can break the entire setup and render the elevator permanently stuck between floors or similar.

There are three alternatives to crushing you if you stand beneath a lift: one is to ignore you so the lift goes right through you, in which case you will probably end up stuck within the lift. Another is to make it return to its original keyframe if it hits you, which results in at best a long delay while you wait for the lift to return to its original position so you can summon it again or at worst leaves you with no way to call it back if it's a scripted lift. The third is to just stop it when it hits you, which can not only make it permanently stuck between floors but depending on the level design leave you trapped beneath it.

So don't blame Deus Ex, blame the Unreal Engine if you have to. Or just blame yourself for getting in the way of automated closing doors (and not quicksaving often enough?).

Oh and the elevator doors in Phasmatis' apartment have been set to return on encroach since one of the last patches. It seems to not fuck up the mover sequence beyond repair, thankfully.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Jonas wrote:Oh and the elevator doors in Phasmatis' apartment have been set to return on encroach since one of the last patches. It seems to not fuck up the mover sequence beyond repair, thankfully.
Although that doesn't prevent them from being able to get permanently stuck. Fortunately there are 2 there.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...