Your most stupid death

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

ggrotz
X-51

Re: Your most stupid death

Post by ggrotz »

justanotherfan wrote: I absolutely can't stand it when I eliminate an army, and then instantly die from an elevator door. I either end up not playing anymore, or turning god mode on.

It's a game, and pointless instadeath frustration isn't fun for me.
Yeah same here. I really don't get why there are some that are into that. I remember playing one of the Tom Clancy series of games and right when I started, I walked into an area and died immediately for the first two or three playthroughs. I figured "alright, realistic stuff, one bullet = dead" so I started looking around as I went and found nothing. So the game went into the bin never to be played again. Something like that just doesn't make it fun at all.

Even more so something like this door/lift business, which is pervasive in TNM. Or weapons buffed so much to be uber deth kanons (that gets boring on both sides of the coin).
JizzyJeff
UNATCO

Post by JizzyJeff »

ggrotz wrote:Or weapons buffed so much to be uber deth kanons (that gets boring on both sides of the coin).
So let's get this straight...you don't like becoming a badass killing machine?
My name is not Jeff.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

JizzyJeff wrote:
ggrotz wrote:Or weapons buffed so much to be uber deth kanons (that gets boring on both sides of the coin).
So let's get this straight...you don't like becoming a badass killing machine?
That's the whole point of this genre of games, like Deus Ex. But I (and I think most) would like their games to be somewhat challenging, instead of running through a game with no real resistance because everything dies immediately when you point your UDK at it.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

ggrotz wrote:Even more so something like this door/lift business, which is pervasive in TNM.
First, read my last post in this thread (1 page back). Second, exactly how difficult is it to not stand under descending elevators!? Is it something you do a lot in real life without coming to any harm? :?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Jonas wrote:
ggrotz wrote:Even more so something like this door/lift business, which is pervasive in TNM.
First, read my last post in this thread (1 page back). Second, exactly how difficult is it to not stand under descending elevators!? Is it something you do a lot in real life without coming to any harm? :?
I'm well aware it's a problem that occurs in all the DX mods and DX itself, so I'm not too down on it. Besides, I don't think automatic doors occur in real life - that's how I usually get done in unexpectedly in TNM anyway. :?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

ggrotz wrote:I don't think automatic doors occur in real life
You mean death by automatic doors, I assume? No, automated doors probably don't kill anybody, but note that most of the doors that could kill you in TNM were bugs and have been fixed. Elevators will still crush you, but I imagine that probably goes in real life as well. Then there are the falling doors in the ShadowCode mission, but if you don't quicksave before jumping into that first chute, you have it coming.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Jonas wrote: most of the doors that could kill you in TNM were bugs and have been fixed.
The doors at the bottom of the engineering section of the Space Station come to mind most on this one...

While I'm at it: I looked at the Redsun intro (that's my next walkthrough recording once I get some things worked out), and got a question out of curiousity: How does TNM fall in relation to the Redsun claims? I imagine it probably doubles the Redsun claims? (4 or 5 years in development, longer than it took DX2 to develop) I guess I'm asking about the development time frame and so on (especially since I really don't know how long it took to develop DX2)?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

ggrotz wrote:The doors at the bottom of the engineering section of the Space Station come to mind most on this one...
If you mean the airlock ones, that's because their opening and closing is independent of the oxygen, so if you managed to get in the way of one of them, it would fuck the consistency up completely. Better to kill you off for being a fool then.
I imagine it probably doubles the Redsun claims? (4 or 5 years in development, longer than it took DX2 to develop) I guess I'm asking about the development time frame and so on (especially since I really don't know how long it took to develop DX2)?
It took 7 years, 2 months, and 11 days to develop TNM, so no - not quite double.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
JizzyJeff
UNATCO

Post by JizzyJeff »

I don't recall ever being crushed by an elevator. :-s

Not trying to be an arse, just not sure what the fuss is all about.
My name is not Jeff.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

I was only crushed by an elevator when I stumbled into the trap involving falling elevators, otherwise I do not make an idiot of myself by standing under falling elevators.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Jonas wrote:The trouble is the Unreal engine doesn't handle elevators very well
There are three alternatives to crushing you if you stand beneath a lift...
So don't blame Deus Ex, blame the Unreal Engine if you have to. Or just blame yourself for getting in the way of automated closing doors (and not quicksaving often enough?).
I'm really surprised how difficult it is to model an elevator. I understand that if two cars have velocity, and crash on either side of JC, he'll die. If two elevator doors have velocity, they should collide with JC, he loses 1 health point (the door chips a fingernail), and the doors reverse direction. I think another one that happened was getting stuck on the groundfloor in an elevator, but the elevator went up, but that might have been the door thing too. I hate bugs like "You're stuck in the floor now!"

Killing someone that stands underneath an elevator is logical. It's annoying when a game makes "underneath the elevator" a necessary part of the level though since I don't like instadeath. I think TNM did that at one point with three elevators in a row, but it was just a platformer jumping thing that I completed without realizing it (just run forward and jump over the holes).

I'm sure everything possible was done to fix the doors problem for TNM, since that certainly goes for every other Deus Ex bug. I kind of do blame Deus Ex, since they had the code to modify the engine. It's unprofessional when I see Manderly swinging around on his office door, but JC getting crushed to death trying to escape the office sucks.

I don't know why, but I don't quicksave. Infinite continues removes all the challenge, while instadeath makes it frustrating. It's my style of play that I should change to adapt to each game.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

As I recall the standard doors on the space station were modified so that now they stay open all the time because they had an unfortunate habit of eating people.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Kee715 wrote:I was only crushed by an elevator when I stumbled into the trap involving falling elevators, otherwise I do not make an idiot of myself by standing under falling elevators.
It's not necessarily a purposeful thing...or a big deal. It's something that happens and happens to be a "most stupid death" so it gets brought up in this thread.

A good example of a few of mine. At the bottom of the space station, there's a door that leads to a milbot at semi-close quarters. One might tend to say "hey I need to back up before I let loose this 20mm round so I don't get blown up", do that, and then "slap" by the automatic door behind you. Dead. Like was said, just an engine thing. In this example, I've learned to just stand there and let loose with a full clip from the MUDK and move on.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

ggrotz wrote:
Kee715 wrote:I was only crushed by an elevator when I stumbled into the trap involving falling elevators, otherwise I do not make an idiot of myself by standing under falling elevators.
It's not necessarily a purposeful thing...or a big deal. It's something that happens and happens to be a "most stupid death" so it gets brought up in this thread.

A good example of a few of mine. At the bottom of the space station, there's a door that leads to a milbot at semi-close quarters. One might tend to say "hey I need to back up before I let loose this 20mm round so I don't get blown up", do that, and then "slap" by the automatic door behind you. Dead. Like was said, just an engine thing. In this example, I've learned to just stand there and let loose with a full clip from the MUDK and move on.
Jonas (bless him) fixed those doors in the 1.03 patch. They killed me more times than the aliens. lol.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

No I think the one ggrotz mentions is an airlock, and like I described above, it has to kill you or the consistency of the air lock mechanic is fucked up (and we're big suckers for consistency).
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine