HUD, conversation and infolink graphical issues.

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Whisperblade
NSF

HUD, conversation and infolink graphical issues.

Post by Whisperblade »

Sup.

Been watching this since 05, glad to see it's out.
But my experience has been somewhat marred by the fact that there are some graphical glitches associated with the HUD (the health diagram and infolink text in particular) and the conversation popups.

Essentially anything that flashes like the text does, does so irregularly, as in it'll flash oddly, sometimes not at all, leaving my health meters a somewhere between white or black. The popup that comes with conversation is also very jerky, rising up in really, well, jerkly. The infolink text comes in spurts, or , if I'm unlucky, not at all and the ICE Breaker HUD is also very twitchy.
It's hard to get photos of without motion. But if you could imagine the health-hud flashing then stopping at white or black, it's like that, only it start upon running the game.

I do NOT have this issue with classic Deus ex and it appears to some degree with ALL the renderers.
Please help!
50x50? Why bother with an avatar?
JC_Helios
X-51

Re: HUD, conversation and infolink graphical issues.

Post by JC_Helios »

Anything like this? ...Doesn't seem like it, but it's the only similar account I've seen.

Can you get a screenshot of it or anything? that might help.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Try following these instructions and see if it helps:

viewtopic.php?p=37143#p37143
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Whisperblade
NSF

Post by Whisperblade »

Jonas wrote:Try following these instructions and see if it helps:

viewtopic.php?p=37143#p37143
No I'm afraid not, my theory is that it's something to do with the way the game renders HUD alpha, but I'm unsure, I've never dealt with Unreal in any real sense (cute phrasing)
JC_Helios wrote:Anything like this? ...Doesn't seem like it, but it's the only similar account I've seen.

Can you get a screenshot of it or anything? that might help.
That's far too serious.
You know how the health hud is meant to pulse evenly? It doesn't, it's like an irregular beat. Sometimes when I load the game it just stays frozen at completley white or grey. This wouldn't be too bad but it fucks with other elements of the HUD as well, such as the infolink text coming in spurts rather than a steady stream.
If that dosen't make sense what's the best way to capture footage of an Unreal game?

Tia
odawali
UNATCO

Post by odawali »

Whisperblade wrote: You know how the health hud is meant to pulse evenly?
Does it? I never noticed it. Is it possible you DO have issues in normal DX that are simply being accentuated in TNM?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Whisperblade wrote:No I'm afraid not, my theory is that it's something to do with the way the game renders HUD alpha, but I'm unsure, I've never dealt with Unreal in any real sense (cute phrasing)
There is no alpha in the Unreal engine - transparency is handled very primitively by either removing a certain colour entirely or fading colours out the closer they get to black or to 128-128-128 grey.

If you followed my instructions, you've reverted to the original Deus Ex GUI. If you switch back to the D3D renderer at the same time, you'll effectively be back to entirely using Deus Ex code in terms of the GUI.
You know how the health hud is meant to pulse evenly?
I'm sorry, but as odawali said, it certainly isn't. No part of the Deus Ex HUD is meant to pulse.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Whisperblade
NSF

Post by Whisperblade »

Well... damn...

Hahah, tell you what, I'll back up my saves un/reinstall everything and hope it works.
Whisperblade
NSF

Post by Whisperblade »

Ok, note how my health meter is whiteish in this shot, that's what I mean by pulsing, it pulses from white to colored and back, however its bugged and freezes up along with the other issues I've mentioned.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

It usually starts off white and then actually quickly adds the colour (through red to orange to yellow to green) as your HUD health display catches up with your actual health (takes less than a second). It should then stay green at all times until you start getting damaged.

It really shouldn't be pulsing.
Whisperblade
NSF

Post by Whisperblade »

Oh dear, well.... I'm using a fresh install of Deus EX and TNM...Perhaps I'll try the fixes above again and see what happens.

And that's a big fat no both on Jonas attempt at a fix and my dicking with the renderers. ](*,)
Anyone got any ideas at all?

This DOESN'T happen in Vanilla DX, I just checked.