HUD size issue in 1920x1200, an idea and gushing praise

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
soopytwist
Mole Person

HUD size issue in 1920x1200, an idea and gushing praise

Post by soopytwist »

Was this ever sorted? I've had a look through some old posts but can't see a conclusion to the problem regarding conversations.
I'm running the game at 1920x1200 but the HUD and text was way to small so I changed the Root= to DeusEx.DeusExRootWindow in TNM.ini.
This is better, up to a point but as already mentioned this is a problem during conversations when the last dialogue choice is hidden off the bottom of the screen and the only way to see it is to switch to window mode with Alt-Return and back again when you've finished. Can this be fixed? Ideally the HUD size should be low res, as the original and the conversation window moved upwards to fill the blank black space above it thus freeing up more room below.

On another note, is there any possibility of another patch or mod that can change the mechanics of using aug's? It's a real pain having to either abandon movement with the left hand or looking/shooting with the right to press F12 to use the light (which you have to use so much cause the game is so damn dark - gamma correction makes no difference) and then repeating that to turn it off again (unless you've got the 2nd tier upgrade so you don't use up any power and leave it on). What would be much better is the ability to 'equip' an aug into a new HUD slot. So during play you simply press a key nearest your left hand or a button on the mouse to activate the currently active aug on and off and when the situation arises where you need protection from radiation for example you go into the aug screen and swap the equipped aug for the environment aug. Would make life easier don't you think.

Anyway, outstanding piece of work The Nameless Mod, congrats and thanks to all those talented individuals for an epic slice of gaming pie that IMHO rivals the original Deus Ex in almost every aspect. I look forward to Off Topic's next project.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: HUD size issue in 1920x1200, an idea and gushing praise

Post by bobby 55 »

This for your original problem
Jonas wrote:
First, make sure you've patched to version 1.0.4. Then, to quote from the Troubleshooting section of the PDF manual:
The Nameless Mod Manual wrote:Problem: The GUI is too small for me to read, how do I make it bigger?
Solution: Add the line “bNoUIFix=True” (minus the quotes) under [TNM.Trestkon] in \DeusEx\TNM\System\TNMUser.ini. Note that the old GUI scales up in increments, so you may be unfortunate enough to still get a GUI that’s too small for your liking, depending on what resolution you’re playing in.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jcelios
MJ12

Post by Jcelios »

I'm running with 1920x1200 and don't have any HUD issues at all. Nothing cuts off and it's not even very small. I'd say it's perfect in fact. :)
It's probably the DX10 Renderer that's fixing it for me: http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/
As I believe that contains a number of widescreen fixes as well. So if you have a DX10 compatible card I'd suggest that.

I'm also running HDTP Demo 1 and New Vision Public Beta and it's quite striking when they all work together and you notice just how much better it looks. :D

As for the aug thing, with the release of Patch 1.0.4 no more work on TNM is going to be done. The OTP team have instead focused on creating their first commercial release game. It's very possible to create mods for TNM though so anyone else is welcome to try of course.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jcelios wrote:I'm running with 1920x1200 and don't have any HUD issues at all. Nothing cuts off and it's not even very small. I'd say it's perfect in fact. :)
It's probably the DX10 Renderer that's fixing it for me: http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/
As I believe that contains a number of widescreen fixes as well. So if you have a DX10 compatible card I'd suggest that.
Well that's certainly a possibility, but it could just be your monitor is larger than soopytwist's, in which case the same resolution would appear larger for you. For example, I'm running 1920x1200 too, but on a 26" monitor, so it's all perfectly viewable for me. Of course not everybody has the cash to splurge on a larger monitor, in which case the only other solution would be to play the game in a smaller resolution.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jcelios
MJ12

Post by Jcelios »

Yea it could be monitor size, I never thought of that.
I'm using a 24inch that I position rather closely.
Also forgot to mention you'll need to be using vista or Windows 7 for the DX10 renderer.
soopytwist
Mole Person

Post by soopytwist »

Since I changed the FOV to something more "widescreen" the text isn't as bad to read now, Still running at 1920x1200 which makes the game look so much better especially on my 24" monitor. Having played for many hours now I'm used to the smaller HUD and inventory.

Still, I'd love to have this "equip an aug" ability so maybe someone can make a mod to do that? A bigger inventory would be nice too.
GreatEmerald
Mole Person

Post by GreatEmerald »

I'm having the same issue here. Using bNoUIFix doesn't change anything at all, the UI elements are of the original size. I played the vanilla game using Kentie's DeusExe, which solved the problem for me there, but it seems that DeusExe doesn't work with TNM.

It also tends to crash a whole lot on startup for some reason (only like every 4th attempt at launching the game ends with no crash). That was also in the vanilla game, but also fixed by DeusExe...

Possibly of note is that I'm running the game through Wine, on Linux. The game is the GOG version, patched to v5.3 + DeusExV2, and I'm using New Vision with the OpenGL renderer. The resolution is 1920x1080.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

GreatEmerald wrote:I'm having the same issue here. Using bNoUIFix doesn't change anything at all, the UI elements are of the original size. I played the vanilla game using Kentie's DeusExe, which solved the problem for me there, but it seems that DeusExe doesn't work with TNM.

It also tends to crash a whole lot on startup for some reason (only like every 4th attempt at launching the game ends with no crash). That was also in the vanilla game, but also fixed by DeusExe...

Possibly of note is that I'm running the game through Wine, on Linux. The game is the GOG version, patched to v5.3 + DeusExV2, and I'm using New Vision with the OpenGL renderer. The resolution is 1920x1080.
Hiya, welcome to the boards.

With Kenties exe, did you copy it and replace the original in TNM (and rename it)? Sorry if that's a stupid question.
Bob.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

GreatEmerald wrote:patched to v5.3 + DeusExV2
What exactly is DeusExV2?

I don't know what v5.3 is according to GOG, it's frankly a little upsetting that they insist on using their own made-up version names instead of the developer's original ones, but I assume it's 1.112fm. GOG may have added their own fixes to it though, as they tend to do to maximise compatibility with modern machines, and there's no real telling what that might be or how it might interact with TNM. The safest option might be for you to download the Deus Ex 1.112fm patch from somewhere and overwrite GOGs version of the .exe with the .exe in the patch. Although if you're using Kentie's .exe, that should be the same thing, only better.

You might also consider downloading and using the Direct3D9 or Direct3D10 renderer instead, as the OpenGL renderer that TNM uses by default is not as stable as that.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
GreatEmerald
Mole Person

Post by GreatEmerald »

Jonas wrote:What exactly is DeusExV2?
A fan patch. I followed Kentie's guide:
http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/index.htm#niceties
Jonas wrote:I don't know what v5.3 is according to GOG, it's frankly a little upsetting that they insist on using their own made-up version names instead of the developer's original ones, but I assume it's 1.112fm. GOG may have added their own fixes to it though, as they tend to do to maximise compatibility with modern machines, and there's no real telling what that might be or how it might interact with TNM. The safest option might be for you to download the Deus Ex 1.112fm patch from somewhere and overwrite GOGs version of the .exe with the .exe in the patch. Although if you're using Kentie's .exe, that should be the same thing, only better.
Oh, my bad, that's the DeusExe version, not Deus Ex (silly similar names). GOG's version is indeed 1.112fm, but you're right that they like to change things around, so I should probably manually patch it with the official patch.
Jonas wrote:You might also consider downloading and using the Direct3D9 or Direct3D10 renderer instead, as the OpenGL renderer that TNM uses by default is not as stable as that.
Yea, about that, Wine doesn't support D3D10. But I could try D3D9 (though it incurs performance penalties due to D3D to OGL translation; but then again, when the game runs at 300 FPS, it doesn't really matter anyway).
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Oh, so... you're using a fan patch and you're running the game in WINE.

I'm out! Good luck! 8-[
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
GreatEmerald
Mole Person

Post by GreatEmerald »

Well, that patch just replaces DeusEx.u. I patched the game with the official patch (which also overwrites DeusEx.u) now, but the HUD was still small. Then I reinstalled TNM, then tried D3D9, then tried toggling bNoUIFix again. The HUD's still small.

I did figure out what causes the game to crash 4/5 times, and, as usual, it's locale settings. Someone while coding the vanilla game must have used some functions that assume the system returns a dot as the decimal point, and not a comma (and my locale uses a comma). You might remember that issue from E:C, Jonas ;) Setting the locale to C works around the problem.
bobby 55 wrote:With Kenties exe, did you copy it and replace the original in TNM (and rename it)? Sorry if that's a stupid question.
No, I replaced DeusEx.exe with it. But that's an interesting idea. Now I tried replacing TNM.exe with Kentie's one, but when I go to configure, the relevant part is greyed out, I can't select either of the options (it says "Custom GUI found").

The only thing that works around the problem is setting Root=DeusEx.DeusExRootWindow instead of TNMGUI.tnmRootWindow. Will there be many problems if I use the stock GUI?
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I've haven't tried TNM with GOG's version of Deus Ex but I have had the GMDX mod and HDTP installed with it without any trouble, and that's with 1920X1080 resolution. Previously I had the disc version of DX with TNM and Kenties behaved itself, as in allowing me to name the copied Kenties exe TNM. I'm not sure about the stock GUI...but I wouldn't think there'd be too much trouble.