Framerate drops in big areas.

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Rawrimaviking
Mole Person

Framerate drops in big areas.

Post by Rawrimaviking »

Hey guys, I'm really looking forward to getting into TNM but I am having an issue I'd like to try and resolve before I go any further. Basically in the big outdoor areas like the pan of the city during the menu, or Forum City itself, my framerate drops to about 40fps. I am using the directx10 renderer but i've tried the others and they are either better or worse by about 2fps so no big difference. My GPU-Z log shows that there is very little load on my gpu and the framerate is the same whether I have all my settings on low or I crank it all up to high with 16x AA. My CPU is an i7 and should be more than enough to handle the game. Is it just supposed to be like that? If so, it's not too big a deal and it's certainly not unplayable, but it is a niggling annoyance and if anything can be done to fix it I would be appreciative. Thanks in advance.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Framerate drops in big areas.

Post by Jonas »

Hey, thanks for dropping in :smile:

Unfortunately the framerate issue you're describing has little to do with your hardware, but rather is a problem with the limited capacity of the Unreal Engine. As far as we/I know, the Unreal 1.5 Engine that Deus Ex uses is just not built to handle levels as large and detailed as The Nameless Mod's. I'm glad you don't think it's unplayable, and I understand that you just wanted to see if there was a fix before you progressed any further, but rest assured there's nothing you can do about it. That I know of, anyway.

I hope you'll enjoy the mod regardless. Drop back in when you've formed an opinion about it and let us know what you think :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Rawrimaviking
Mole Person

Post by Rawrimaviking »

Jonas wrote:Hey, thanks for dropping in :smile:

Unfortunately the framerate issue you're describing has little to do with your hardware, but rather is a problem with the limited capacity of the Unreal Engine. As far as we/I know, the Unreal 1.5 Engine that Deus Ex uses is just not built to handle levels as large and detailed as The Nameless Mod's. I'm glad you don't think it's unplayable, and I understand that you just wanted to see if there was a fix before you progressed any further, but rest assured there's nothing you can do about it. That I know of, anyway.

I hope you'll enjoy the mod regardless. Drop back in when you've formed an opinion about it and let us know what you think :)
Thanks for the help! I'm really looking forward to getting into the game. If what little I have played so far is any indication then I'm going to love it.
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

Any video card would struggle to display that kind of awesome.
Amakir
NSF

Post by Amakir »

Nice too know that it is not my computers fault when the framerate drops.
"There is a door, you will be required to get through it. If you cannot think of at least three ways to do that, perhaps Deus Ex is not the game for you. - chris the cynic
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Need help please, I am getting slow down in small areas too, and it is messing with my marksmanship. Still I somehow managed to murder Scara B. King and see the secret ending. Just awesome. But I am getting my ass unnecessarily kicked because I cannot shoot these strafing bastards with all the lag, and even stealth doesn't help because I gave the enemies nigh immortality difficulty so no 1 hit KO (at least untill I get better skills & gear).
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Mon May 28, 2012 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Bump
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well... have you tried changing the renderer? There's instructions for that in the Troubleshooting section of the manual :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Im using TNM with New vision & kentie's. I had trouble with the other renderer when trying to install so im stuck with Kentie's.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Feel free to call me crazy but you could try updating your sound drivers. It's remarkable the weird things that happen in Deus Ex caused by sound issues.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

I do not get the lag in vanilla DX, I dont think that will be necessary, but I appreciate the suggestion.

Unless TNM is known to conflict with sound drivers?
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Cybernetic pig wrote:I do not get the lag in vanilla DX, I dont think that will be necessary, but I appreciate the suggestion.

If you're not getting it in Deus Ex then I don't think it's (sound issues) the cause of your problem in TNM. I used to get a bad slowing at Vandenberg in DX. It was like using a heavy weapon in untrained while walking.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

bobby 55 wrote:
Cybernetic pig wrote:I do not get the lag in vanilla DX, I dont think that will be necessary, but I appreciate the suggestion.

If you're not getting it in Deus Ex then I don't think it's (sound issues) the cause of your problem in TNM. I used to get a bad slowing at Vandenberg in DX. It was like using a heavy weapon in untrained while walking.
I get area dependant stuttering, but sadly it happens in most areas. I still kick their asses though cos I am hardcore.....well and because I have infinite saves, which I do not like. Dont have to use them though I suppose.

I have actually died quite alot though tbh... its a mix of choosing nigh immortal NPC health, Lag, lack of accuracy mods available, and TNM being generally challenging. In other words great fun :-D (minus lag)
Jonas wrote:- Fixed a bug that was preventing all weapons from degrading realistically with use. (april fools joke)
I would have loved degrading weapons in this mod. :(