Errors aplenty

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Shaula
Mole Person

Errors aplenty

Post by Shaula »

Well, I've been having a fun time trying to get this mod to work. It looks completely fantastic, but I can't even get setup going without problems. <_<

Issue #1 - Setup is a liar.

Code: Select all

Error: Setup has detected that you do not have the 1112fm patch installed. A fully patched version of Deus Ex is needed to play TNM, press OK to install the English 1112fm patch now. If you are running a non-english version of Deus Ex please press Cancel, install the appropriate patch and restart the TNM installation.
That would be okay if I didn't have the GOTY edition that's already patched up. Just for the hell of it I tried to run the patch anyway - it gave this error immediately when it began to install:

Failed opening destination file: DeusEx\System\Core.dll (Access is denied.)

The destination drive might be full, or it might have bad sectors.
Again, that would be okay and I'd work on fixing it except I have 30 GB left on the drive I have Deus Ex installed on and I'm not picking up any bad sectors on the drive. So, whatever, I'm already patched so I'm not fussed over it too much. The patch install cancels and setup proceeds as normal. Most TNM installs until we run into ...

Issue #2 - Install Error

Error opening file for writing:

DeusEx/System/OpenGLDrv.dll
Again, this is odd because the file isn't read-only or anything and the game has no problem running normally when accessing this file. Spamming Retry doesn't work so I cross my fingers, hope it isn't a huge deal, and hit "Ignore". [-o< Setup proceeds to finish smoothy, and then tells me that everything went off without a hitch. (LIES!) I figure the awesome mod should work and I go to open it, hitting ...

Issue #3 - Crash on Startup
Can't find Function in file 'Function DeusEx.DeusExWeapon.PreBeginPlay'

History: UObject::SafeLoadError <- UObject::StaticLoadClass <- InitGameInfo <- UGameEngine::LoadMap <- UGameEngine::Init <- XGameEngine::Init <- DDeusExGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine
To add extra annoyance on, I've uninstalled DeusEx/manually deleted the leftovers four times so far, played through ten minutes of the game, and tried to install TNM. With the same results every time. I have used different directories, though I haven't switched drives yet because my first is supposed to be OS and non-game programs only, though I'm considering moving it on there to see if that helps. I really want to play this mod. :-k

Please tell me somebody knows what's going on here. I've never had any issues with Deus Ex, and then all of a sudden I'm getting errors every five minutes trying to get this mod to work. :(
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: Errors aplenty

Post by bobby 55 »

Have you the English version of Deus Ex installed?
Is it the disc version or a digital download like Steam or D2D?
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Shaula
Mole Person

Post by Shaula »

English version off the disc - GOTY edition.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I guess you've tried downloading TNM again? Sometimes files get corrupted when downloaded.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hmm... this is fucked up. Have you tried running it as administrator? Including the patch?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Shaula
Mole Person

Post by Shaula »

This looks ... promising. >_>

I'll try downloading TNM again. And as I'm on the Administrator (only) account, that counts as running it as the admin, right? While I'm at it, I'll go ahead and run reinstall #5 and switch it on the OS hard drive ... there's 5GB left, should fit DE/TNM and maybe I can hope that'll do something?
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Shaula wrote:This looks ... promising. >_>

I'll try downloading TNM again. And as I'm on the Administrator (only) account, that counts as running it as the admin, right? While I'm at it, I'll go ahead and run reinstall #5 and switch it on the OS hard drive ... there's 5GB left, should fit DE/TNM and maybe I can hope that'll do something?
Another thing, although the errors don't suggest this is the problem: You could try turning off the DEP for DX and TNM.
Shaula
Mole Person

Post by Shaula »

Okay, I've found one massive problem that looks like I'm not going to be able to make this work. The online reference I looked at said that the GotY edition of Deus Ex was equivalent to 1112fm. I couldn't find anything on mine that said what version I had so I assumed it was right, however, when I was reinstalling it, I noticed this bit:

Version: 1109f

Trollface returns!

Installed it on a different drive. 1112fm patch still won't update - same error immediately when it begins installation. Ideas? For the time being I moved it back off the OS Drive since it doesn't look like that fixed the problem and I already don't have much room left on that one.

Edit: Hey, hey! I found the catch - I'm not supposed to download the 1112fm patch, I download the special GotY patch that's basically the same thing but it actually works. Mod actually works now and [sarcasm]I have learned a valuable lesson about believing what the internet tells me, even if the source had been reliable before about everything I've looked for.[/sarcasm]
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I'll add that to the ever growing list of fixes for DX+mods.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

I hope you enjoy the mod.

Please stick around and tell us what you think of it.
Shaula
Mole Person

Post by Shaula »

It was pleasant being chased down by the spider bot during my exploration until the Firewalls took care of it.

That said, game's running fine. I did run into a snag, though, that I forgot to mention - during the installation I'm still getting this:

Error opening file for writing:

DeusEx/System/OpenGLDrv.dll
However, the game's running fine aside from the graphics being glitched up to hell, which is perhaps a result of the above. I still get to run away from Firewalls after shanking random thugs for their guns, though. All the objects are working fine, it's just that the floors/walls have these black bars running on them that is irritating but I'm not going to lose playtime over it. Not sure can be done about installation giving me the finger so I'm not going to throw a fit over it.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

If your installer threw up an error about OpenGLDrv.dll, try changing the renderer. You can't use the built-in menu for Deus Ex, since that won't apply to TNM, so check out the Troubleshooting section in our PDF manual for how to change your renderer in TNM. You can either use the default D3D renderer, or you can try out the D3D9 or 10 renderers as described in the first part of this handy tutorial: http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-nameless- ... -with-mods

Also I must admit I feel a little stupid, because I thought I remembered that some GOTY versions weren't actually 1112fm, but I didn't put that forth because I wasn't sure, and I didn't want to confuse the matter further. I'm glad you more or less solved it now though! And I certainly also hope you enjoy the mod :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Shaula
Mole Person

Post by Shaula »

And it isn't my fault at all for not reading what version I was installing the four other times I'd installed Deus Ex that day? :roll:

That aside, the graphics bit is a pity because DirectEx with Deus Ex causes the graphics in the game to look ... is grainy the word? There's dots all over the place. OpenGL looked so much cleaner - then again, the choice comes down to clean graphics that are glitched up to hell or grainy ones that work properly. :(

One last bit - there appears to be a problem with the window sizing. It seems to be scaling wrong or something - the visuals work fine horizontally and they're okay the top of the screen going down until you get to the bottom of the screen, where stuff will begin to run off. This doesn't appear to happen during regular gameplay, as the HUD and menus work fine. However, chat options are running off the screen sometimes, which is problematic. Is there a fix for this?
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

There are. I think there's a couple of threads here in the Help and Support. I gotta get back to work so I can't look for them right now. They're pretty recent topics.
Shaula
Mole Person

Post by Shaula »

Oopsit. Will do.

Edit: Once again, I have somewhat plausible deniability: before when I tried to size up the game, it screwed the HUD and any cutscenes. In my brilliance I hadn't considered that restarting the game would fix these issues and it did. >_>

I still don't have deniability for not having a brain, though.